W7 OS and hotkeys in 2.12 problems

new reply
Hamm66
Airman

W7 OS and hotkeys in 2.12 problems

Post by Hamm66 »

I hope this is the right place for this, if not please direct me.

I've been playing this game for years and have just upgraded to 3.2 GHz 8GB RAM with 1 GB ATI Radeon running w7 Home Premium

I am patched up to 2.12 with multiskin following the guidance found in this forum (very helpful thank you!)

Performance wise everything is great but if I try to do a flyby over Dover my plane explodes - every time if under 10,000 or so feet

Also if I try to land my damaged plane in a field I disappear under the ground and then crash into something mysterious and die.

Next, and I don't know if there is answer for this one, the windows function keys remain active while in the game so when I click Alt+F1 to see who is shooting at me I jump to the Online Windows help page which then tries to help me find a reason as to why the program I was just running stopped working and went to the Windows Help page!

I have tried everything to stop this and it is the general consensus at Microsoft that Home Premium will not let you turn these off. One very helpful (sarcasm) individual at Microsoft suggests I put a thumbtack on the F1 key to prevent me using it.

Can the Alt+F1 function be remapped?

Cheers Hamm66
The Sky is the Limit (the ground is an unfortunate inconvenience)

Buddye
BDG

Re: W7 OS and hotkeys in 2.12 problems

Post by Buddye »

Hamm66 wrote: I've been playing this game for years and have just upgraded to 3.2 GHz 8GB RAM with 1 GB ATI Radeon running w7 Home Premium
Welcome back to BOBII 2.12 and thanks for the PC info.
Hamm66 wrote: Performance wise everything is great but if I try to do a flyby over Dover my plane explodes - every time if under 10,000 or so feet
Strange, The only thing I can think of off the top is you are hitting a balloon cable.
Hamm66 wrote: Also if I try to land my damaged plane in a field I disappear under the ground and then crash into something mysterious and die.
Which air field?
Hamm66 wrote: Next, and I don't know if there is answer for this one, the windows function keys remain active while in the game so when I click Alt+F1 to see who is shooting at me I jump to the Online Windows help page which then tries to help me find a reason as to why the program I was just running stopped working and went to the Windows Help page!

I have tried everything to stop this and it is the general consensus at Microsoft that Home Premium will not let you turn these off. One very helpful (sarcasm) individual at Microsoft suggests I put a thumbtack on the F1 key to prevent me using it.
I do not have this problem on my PC (and I have never heard about this problem) which also uses the same OS as your PC. I do not reassign keys but I do assign keys to my joystick buttons. I would guess you have a problem in your key assignments. Have you tried to mess with the key assignments?
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

if I try to do a flyby over Dover my plane explodes - every time if under 10,000 or so feet
This is caused by two ground objects, the west dock and the middle breakwater which because they are very long objects,
their hit boxes are extremely high. 3,000 or 4,000 feet I think.
We need a 3D modeler to "break" them up into several smaller objects to fix this.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Hmm. I suspect the Alt-F1 issue may be associated
with your keyboard, if you have one of those fancy
cordless ones with lots of extra widgets. Those things
have a configuration screen which eagerly offers to
work lots of extra key combinations for you, and some
might be rude enough to volunteer the assistance unasked.
You could check for that and see if you can disable it.

At any rate, with W7 home premium and a standard setup,
hitting alt-F1 causes no action on my machine outside of
a program, and inside BoB2 only calls up the appropriate
assigned action. (Additional thought: it may be some other
stupid widget, like a software "bonus" add-on provided by
the computer retailer to make your computer experience
"more convenient", rather than necessarily associated with
the keyboard. Things under the heading of retailers' "adding
value", a lot like the useless garbage you find loaded onto
the motherboard driver disc.)

Stickman, I thought the hitbox issue was more like 250ft?
I would have thought there would have been all kinds of
wailing about this otherwise. And I thought the objects were
being broken up to fix it. I'm more with Buddye here, likely
to be a balloon cable - don't fly under balloons!

Hamm66
Airman

Post by Hamm66 »

Flying over Dover - I thought cables at first but I can see them (maybe I cant see them all) but the hit box over the docks sounds right as I usually come in off the sea towards the castle.

Landing in a field - not an airfield. I first noticed this when I was all shot up and losing altitude, I got my gear down manually and found a likely field only to disappear under the ground. I have tried a few spots now, is this to do with the terrain modeling?

Keyboard - I wouldn't call my keyboard fancy but it is new and wireless. I will try my old one.
I don't reassign keys in BoB but I have added engine management. The Alt+F1 I believe is the key assigned if I turn on lock on enemy targeting you in the bdg - can that be assigned to a joystick button?

New problem - I was testing my fps yesterday and I started getting the 'english text' crash mentioned by others. I have never had this before even with my last three computers. I did a fresh install on Sunday with a fresh download of 2.12 English only. Do you think it might be a corrupted file so I should redo or should I try the international?

Thanks for all the responses by the way. I wish I had known about this forum years ago instead of doing EVERYTHING by trial and error (mostly error - messages that is).

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

You definitely should not need to reassign your alt-F1
key command. Your machine has no business not giving
that command to your active program. If it kidnaps that
key, what other ones does it go after? You must have
some other TSR (as they used to say - terminate-stay-resident)
running which is messing with your keys, and you should at
least know what it is. Do you have some other piece of
peripheral hardware or whizzbang which takes key commands,
like TrackIR or somesuch, running in the background?

Regarding CTDs, there are lots of additions which happened
through patch 2.10, 11, and 12 which have put more load on
both the cpu and gpu, as noted in the release notes for 2.12,
so depending on your hardware, it may be necessary to back
down some bdg.txt settings, particularly the
LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024
and, if you have a 32 bit OS, the 3GB switch. You can view the
relevant items from the release notes here:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=33747

Hamm66
Airman

Post by Hamm66 »

So, some problems resolved!

English Text crash was being caused by having the program running in W XP mode - switched that off and the crashes stopped.

I had target size set to High (I get fed up with spraying 2500 bullets in a neat circle all around the ME 109!) set it to low and I can over fly Dover without exploding.

I did another full reinstall and the Alt+F1 problem disappeared - no idea what the cause was but it must have been a glitch in the install - I have tried to recreate the problem and it wont happen now I have done the reinstall.

Tried to land in Hyde Park after flying through Tower Bridge and got on the ground but was suddenly swallowed by the earth. Thought I fell into the underground! Still don't know what that is about.

Can we only land in airfields now? In earlier versions I could land anywhere the ground was flat enough.

Thanks for the advice!

Hamm66

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

PV,
Stickman, I thought the hitbox issue was more like 250ft?
Yeah, 300 not 3,000 feet. Brg pardon. That was with hit boxes set to Low.

Hamm66,
Can we only land in airfields now? In earlier versions I could land anywhere the ground was flat enough.
You should be able to land any where, OK, that is flat.

Yes, set your Target size to Low. Anything higher is way too unreal.

Good to see that you have most of your problems gone. :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”