Few comments re 2.12

new reply
ronvking
Airman First Class

Few comments re 2.12

Post by ronvking »

OK I've come back to BoB after a few months away and have upgraded to 2.12.

Here's a couple of things I've seen which don't appear right but I'm also not sure if they are oldies yet to be sorted.

I had labels on and had been chasing a formation of DO17's to France when I noticed three large formations of He111's that did not have labels attached. I got close enough to mix into the formation but at no time did any labels appear. I also noticed that the aircraft were in a low resolution.

Several times I've attacked a german formation of different type and noticed a phantom aircraft break away from the aircraft I'm attacking just prior to the real aircraft being destroyed. On one I was attacking some DO17's but the phantom aircraft looked like a low resolution He111, wonder if connected to the first comment?

Had a couple of occassions when jagged triangles have appeared. Unlike this happening in earlier version all the time these in 2.12 have only been there for a second or two and then in that session not come back. Both occassions I was in a high number of aircaft with dogfights.

Rgds Ron

Buddye
BDG

Re: Few comments re 2.12

Post by Buddye »

ronvking wrote: I had labels on and had been chasing a formation of DO17's to France when I noticed three large formations of He111's that did not have labels attached. I got close enough to mix into the formation but at no time did any labels appear. I also noticed that the aircraft were in a low resolution.
The bug you saw is a SAG problem. A SAG is a very low resolution group of A/C that should only be seen from a distance. When a SAG get close to a player it should be converted to a standard group. This is how BOBII is able to have many A/C in the large air battles. You have hit a SAG bug. These bugs are sort of rare and vere complex. I have fixed a few but only when a failing test case is provided. We have always had a few SAG bugs when players do strange things and do not stay with their sqad. BTW, SAG's do not have labels.
ronvking wrote: Several times I've attacked a german formation of different type and noticed a phantom aircraft break away from the aircraft I'm attacking just prior to the real aircraft being destroyed. On one I was attacking some DO17's but the phantom aircraft looked like a low resolution He111, wonder if connected to the first comment?
Yes, this also sounds like a SAG bug.
ronvking wrote: Had a couple of occassions when jagged triangles have appeared. Unlike this happening in earlier version all the time these in 2.12 have only been there for a second or two and then in that session not come back. Both occassions I was in a high number of aircaft with dogfights.
This sounds like a graphics issue that I have not seen or heard about. It could be a veido card setting or a specific driver issue.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Had a couple of occassions when jagged triangles have appeared. Unlike this happening in earlier version all the time these in 2.12 have only been there for a second or two and then in that session not come back. Both occassions I was in a high number of aircaft with dogfights.
The Particle Effects in BoBII will generate these jagged junk things sometimes when smoke and fire is intense.
In Options > More GFX, Particle Density should never be set higher than Medium. Low is OK, and not much different than Medium, IMO.

Even set to Medium or Low, I often test bomb the targets that I make. Zoom up close to watch the explosions and where they land.
Quite often I see all kinds of jaggies junk when the place is exploding, burning, and smoking heavy.

I use an ATI graphics card (2) and ATI was never the best GFX for BOBII. The Nvidia boards were always better.
Three years ago I was using a Nvidia graphics accelerator and saw this jaggies junk when bombing Targets with a full Gruppe,
so I would not try to cure this with graphics accelerator settings, although you might minimize the times you see the bad visuals.

ronvking
Airman First Class

Post by ronvking »

Thanks, I thought these would be known about but thought best to mention on the slight off chance it wasn't known.

Hi Stickman,
On both times I got this it was always approaching close to a large formation but never a great problem as it vanished quite quickly. I'll try changing the option as suggested, think I've got medium on at the moment and yes its an ATI card.

Hi Buddye,
That fits very well into what I've seen. I had broken away from my squadron. I've only seen the formation like that once so again no great issue for me.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”