I need help with programming my joystick

mptbowl
Airman

Re: I need help with programming my joystick

Post by mptbowl »

Way to go Buddye. I tried everything I could think of to get that going, I was even beginning to resign myself to keys. I did it straight off. Thanks again Buddye you're a star.
regards Michael

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Could you help with making the description in the manual (p.31) better by
telling us what was unclear, and how it could be expressed better?

mptbowl
Airman

Post by mptbowl »

Hi PV I'm thinking that my copy of the manual is out of date. I read the pages you suggested p26-35. Better if I show you extracts from my manual.

p26
LW Skill Modifier
Minimum, Low, Medium,High, Maximum This setting determines the skill level of the Luftwaffe in a campaign setting. At medium, the true skills of the squadrons will be used. At minimum and low settings the skills will be reduced, and at high and
maximum settings the skills will be increased. You may wish to increase the LW skill when you are playing LW commander, and reduce it if you are playing the RAF commander.
RAF Skill Modifier
Minimum, Low, Medium, High., Maximum

p29
Head Up Display
Virtual threat indicator and artificial horizon instruments are available to help you to retain situational awareness during combat. These instruments are designed to compensate for the fact that in a simulation you do not get the same feedback during combat as would a real pilot. A real pilot has full peripheral vision and feels the effect of gravity. When turned on, the Virtual Threat Indicator is displayed on the top left of your screen. It shows an isometric perspective of a 360 degree circle of view. Any threats are marked as vertical lines. They show the angle of the threat relative to your aircraft and the relative importance of the threat (height of line is proportional the size of threat). The artificial horizon is the same as is found in most aircraft.

p31
INSTANT ACTION
Choose the Instant Action option from the Main Menu and you will be presented with the Instant Action screen. On this screen all of the details of your Instant Action mission can be set up.
At the top of the screen there are two combo-boxes that allow you to choose your Instant Action scenario. The upper box divides the scenarios up into six basic types, while the lower box allows you to choose between all of the missions available with that type of mission. The basic mission types are as follows:
BASIC TRAINING
Five basic missions to ease you into the art of take-off, landing and circuit training.
Take-Off
Practice engine start-up and take off.
Landing
Landing practice from final approach.
Circuits
Practice a circuit around an airfield and land.
Squadron Take-Off Learn

p35
Target Area
Defines the type of area where the action takes place - for instance airfield, docks etc. Sometimes you are not allowed to edit the location type, at other times you are provided with a choice.

I.D.
Defines the specific location - for instance, the specific airfield etc.
Weather
Choose between clear, patchy cloud, low cloud and high cloud.
Time.

There is no step by step info in my copy at all. I should really have put 2 and 2 together but being new to all this (and this numbnut gets easily overwhelmed) I just kind of fumbled my way along. I was also getting regular crashes. Downloading 2.12 I thought might solve things but made crashing more frequent, then trying to go back and getting "could not open 'install. log file". I was getting in to an awful mess My computer wouldn't go to restore points to overcome what I had done so I had to do it safe mode (I think I did that about 4 times) which took ages. I was turning into a blithering idiot.
Anyway I have learnt loads of useful stuff from all you guys. And I'm hoping what I have sent you in this email shows that it looks like a different manual (hence the saying I suppose "reading from the same book") altogether. I was flying blind but now I can see perhaps. And I also see that I need a more powerful graphics card.
Apologies for being a difficult ###??!!
Michael

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Ah, I see. My fault, it didn't occur to me - you started with an
original hard copy version, with the old printed manual. Most versions
out there these days are the final A2A release, either hard copy
or download, and then most folks load a BDG patch on top of
it. All those versions have only a digital (PDF) manual, which is located
in the "Docs" folder of your install. You will want to spend some
time with that, it is the best manual ever constructed for a
combat flight sim, and will tell you everything you need to know
about BoB2.

mptbowl
Airman

Post by mptbowl »

Hi PV Now then, this is weird.
When I loaded BOB2 for the first time ( I got it off ebay so it wasn't up to date, I think it's a 2.03 version) there was no manual at all, and I searched for some kind of help but there was nothing at all attached to the game.
Then before I could even start getting into the game I had to go and look after my Mum after an operation which meant staying with her on the otherside of the UK, but I did take the game and my joystick so I could continue checking it out. Alas my Mums' laptop was not powerful enough to handle the game and kept crashing, but mysteriously when I loaded it on her computer the manual appeared with the game, weird, but anyway I copied that to my external hard drive because it was no where to be seen on my PC as I said earlier, so you see it wasn't a hard copy. But it was a manual which frankly I was glad to see.
That's when I first started checking you guys out. Although I was at my Mums' I contacted the A2A forums so that I could be more in the swing of things by the time I got back but in fact I really needed to be at my own PC as I mentioned (I think) to Buddye
So that's that. You guys have been fantastically patient with me and believe me I really appreciate it. I can see, also, where you are coming from because in a way through my own difficulties you are learning more about solving problems for future assistance to someone else.
Nice one guys
all the best Michael

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

The newest BOBII User Manual can be found in your BOBII folder in the docs file, if you have installed 2.12. If you have not installed 2.12 then you can download a copy here:

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/bob_dev/B ... _final.rar

Key items to review
1. Key Description Document -- Appendix H
2. Single Player Camapign (SPC) -- Chapter 4 Section C
3. BDG.txt -- Appendix A
4. Chapter 6 -- Multi Skin 2.10
5. Chapter 7 -- Multi Player Beta
As always, the installer will place the 2.10 User Manual in your BOBII folder in the Docs folder for your referrence as well.

Alwyas use the newest manual when you need info on settings , options, and features.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

mptbowl
Airman

Post by mptbowl »

Hi Buddye,
You have read my mind. I thought I would give it a rest (a little time out), and you guys too . This was actually my next request. The current manual. Obviously I have an out dated manual. A most outstanding performance in perception on your part. Thankyou
Michael

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”