Trouble getting BOB to run again

new reply
heloguy
Senior Airman

Trouble getting BOB to run again

Post by heloguy »

Hi all,

Wanted to give the new 2.12 patch a try, but haven't run BOB2 in a long time. Now I have two monitors, the primary one being an HDTV with res of 1920x1080. I'm also running a GTX 460 with the latest drivers. The problem seems to be if I set the resolution above 1024x768x32. Anything above that, and I get nothing but a black screen with no errors. Not even the loading screen pops up when I click 'Fly'. It loads fine at the aformentioned resolution, but scaled down in the center of the screen. Thanks for any ideas.
evga 680i SLI
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4.0ghz
EVGA GTX 460
4gb Crucial Ballistix PC6400
Creative SB X-Fi
Win 7 x64

Buddye
BDG

Re: Trouble getting BOB to run again

Post by Buddye »

I only have one monitor so I am not sure what you are doing here.

First, set you "windows" resolution (in windows) to your monitors native resolution.

Second, because you have a Wide Screen Monitor try in game setting of resolution:

Set in options->GFX use Windows Desktop Resolution (Recommended)=OFF

Then manually select the resolution (in game) as close as possible to your monitors native resolution from the pull down list of resolution options.

Also BOBII requires a screen print size of 96. If you have change your DPI to a higher number (example 120 DPI or medium) then BOBII will crash to disk on a Menu Screen. To change your DPI to 96 in windows7 in desktop right click. Select screen Resolution and at the bottom click on "Make Text or Other Items larger or smaller". Then select smaller 100% (default).
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

heloguy
Senior Airman

Post by heloguy »

That's what I've done so far to try and set the resolution. The screen res is set at 1920x1080p, as I just switched from a DVI/VGA output/input to an HDMI cable. I do need to check the DPI settings. Hopefully it doesn't have something to do either with multiple screens, or using the HDMI cable instead of the older style. I do have an option to set my desktop to 1080i vs. 1080p, so I'll give that a shot too.
evga 680i SLI
EVGA GTX 460
Creative SB X-Fi
Win 7 x64

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Make sure, if you are running multiple monitors, that the
one which is to run the BoB2 3D is the one nVidia calls
"primary" or #1, or similar. I recall having that issue with
multiple monitors and nvidia drivers, though it was some
years ago.

heloguy
Senior Airman

Post by heloguy »

I appreciate the suggestions. My DPI was set right, and my larger monitor is set as the primary in my Nvidia settings as well. I wasn't sure if maybe my install was broken, as I was working with an old install that had been copied as a backup, and couldn't find my original disk. Just in case, I purchased and downloaded v2.06 over again from the store, and applied a fresh 2.12 patch over it. I tried it without multiskin, and with, and still the same error. Nothing but a black screen with the mouse arrow (no loading screen) whenever I try to go into the 3d engine if I use any resolution above 1024x768x32. I even tried the campaign at 1920x1080x32, and it worked fine. I've started messing around with the scaling options in the Nvidia control panel as a first step from here.

Oh yeah, as an aside, just to test my theory that it didn't like the HDMI cable, I set my older monitor to primary, and tried loading the game up on that monitor at 1680x1050x32, and had the same error.

Is there a way that my DX9 could be out of date, even though Win 7 uses DX11? I tried going to Microsoft's website to update it, but the installer said I had either a newer version, or the same that the installer was going to install.
evga 680i SLI
EVGA GTX 460
Creative SB X-Fi
Win 7 x64

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Having an old version of DirectX 9c is a common problem. BOBII uses DirectX9c. All the Direct X versions are seperate (Dx 9c, DX 10, Dx11). You can update your DirectX 9c using the web installer (which only update what is needed) here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

My guess, the DX9 problems usually break any successful rendering of the 3D,
so if you are able to run 3D at lower resolutions, it shouldn't be a DX9 problem.
What happens if you disconnect your second monitor, and set the system
up for one monitor only? Are you still locked out of the higher resolutions?
I'm guessing not...

I suppose you might try flipping your designation of primary and secondary
as well, though I believe you have it right way round now, never know with
drivers. ...And what happens when you select clone mode? When in 2D, do
you find you get the menu videos only running on one monitor?

heloguy
Senior Airman

Post by heloguy »

So, it was the second monitor. As soon as I disabled it in the Nvidia control panel, everything worked as advertised. Guess I should have kept it simple from the beginning with my troubleshooting...

Thanks again for the help!
evga 680i SLI
EVGA GTX 460
Creative SB X-Fi
Win 7 x64

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

We ought to wrestle with this at some point and get the
second monitor to work, but it's doubtless dependent
on the drivers. As I said, I've had a second monitor running
in clone mode no problem with nVidia. I'm sure I managed
OK with other modes as well... but that was before I went
to a 1080x1920 monitror, and BoB2 tends to treat those differently.
That may be what's messing things up.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”