BoB2 Under Windows 10 problems

new reply
Rends
Airman First Class

BoB2 Under Windows 10 problems

Post by Rends »

Hi,
Here are my disappointed experiences running BoB2 under Windows 10.

The game installs fine.
Once started i got a Win10 popup message in the main screen that the current resolution is not recommend.
I just went to the instand Action without changing any settings ( i guess that's 1024x768 res with medium settings)
The missions loads fine and i could play for a couple of minutes.
I could even back out of the mission using Alt-X without trouble.
Next i changed the resolution to fit my Monitor settings (1440x900 res) and changed most graphic settings to high.
This ended in an english.txt error message once i hit fly in one of the historic missions.
Next i restarted the game and set everything to low with 800x600 res.
Historic mission loaded fine and was playable for a couple of minutes. You can even back out using Alt-X.
But if you play more than a couple of minutes the Sim crash with the same English.txt error message.

I had the Resource Monitor running in the background next to GPU-Z and i couldn't find something that didn't look normal. There was only something loaded from the HD in the moment of the crash.
And when it crashes the screen went back to desktop with the original 1440x900 res so and i was able to see the debriefing screen behind the BoB2 3D screen. Dunno if this is normal or not.

I also tried to run the game using different compatibility modes with same results.

My System:
BoB2 2.11
Win10
I3 4170 3.7 GHz
8 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4400 (soon to be replaced with a Radeon R9 270)

Game was running fine before on a MacMini with Bootcamp Partition using Win7 and Intel HD4000 Graphic.

Rends
Rends Mods
Chuck Yeager:"The first time i saw Rends online i ran for cover" ;-)

ShadowShooter
Senior Airman

Re: BoB2 Under Windows 10 problems

Post by ShadowShooter »

Hi Rends.

I suspect the problems may have something to do with the interaction between Windows 10 and your HD integrated graphics driver. A feature of Win10 that is new is that it automatically installs all updates without the User having any say about it, (whereas the user did have the option of controlling the process in previous editions of Windows). Which means the latest driver for HD 4400 graphics will have been installed automatically on your computer. If you look on the relevant Intel driver page at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... -10-64-bit
you will see that issues involving crashes have been noted in other games. E.g. "- Game may exit if quality settings are set to high on Hitman Absolution on 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors and 5th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors."
There is also a reference to some resolution issues having been "fixed" in Win10. Maybe that isn't the case?

Hopefully these problems won't happen with the Radeon.

chrisreb
Airman

Post by chrisreb »

When I start BOB2 under Win 10 I just get a splash screen at a basic reolution too big to fit on the screen and then nothing. Does anyone know any special steps to get this working. Tried Compatibility mode with same result.

Actually tried the compatibility troubleshooter and it worked - did something with DPI settings which at least has allowed a test flight to run ok - fingers crossed

Airmaric
Airman

Post by Airmaric »

Hi All,

After a bunch of playing around with settings, compatibility modes, and other tweaking - I seem to be having success with Windows 10.

I have posted a detailed description of how I set everything up in the Windows 10 Success thread, link below:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 70#p374470

The condensed version of what I've done is this:

1) Uninstalled BOBII completely
2) Clean install from discs
3) Update to v2.12 & Multiskin
4) Run in native Windows-10 mode (ie: No compatibilty settings) and Run as Administrator
5) It was absolutely REQUIRED to disable my in-game videos (by editing the BDG.txt) to prevent crashing right from the menus
6) To prevent(reduce) crashing when exiting a mission with Alt-X it was necessary to tweak my video card settings. Details found in the thread linked above.

Hope others find success as well.

Fly safe out there!

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”