Re.WinXP

new reply
whizkid
Airman First Class

Re.WinXP

Post by whizkid »

I'm getting so sick of the so-called "Upgrades" of Win7-32 that I'm seriously considering returning to XP. I know it'll be a lot of work, but that's OK. Can't be worse than the frustrations of 7!
My question is, will XP-32 give me as good graphics, etc, as 7-32? Or should I re-install 7 but make it 64bit? Give me your thoughts, please, before I wade into this project. I have a binder full of info on how to return to XP, so I think I'll be OK in doing it. I just don't want to spend time uselessly.
I just can't see how 7 is that much better than XP, and is so user unfriendly.

stickman
BDG

Re: Re.WinXP

Post by stickman »

Most all of BDG testers are using Win 7 64 bit. I have been using it for a long time, now. Two years?

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

It's not the WIN XP or WIN 7 that is the problem it's the 32bit that is, it will not see past 3GB
So say you have 4 gb ram on the MB and a 1 GB Video card 32 bit will see the 1gb video and then only use 2GB of your 4GB. 64bit is past any thing that is on the market ie: as in what a MB will hold.
I moved from WIN XP SP2 to WIN7 64bit best thing I have ever done
Just remember that FSX has its problems but in saying so I have had less problem with it since moving to the 64bit system
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Windows 7 is a better OS then XP but it needs to be Win 7 64 bit.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

whizkid
Airman First Class

Post by whizkid »

Great replies, guys! Thanks. If I go to WinXP-64bit, will I get as good an OS as Win7-64bit? It's just that I hate the Win7 set-up and changes from XP, like no OE and all the Security doodads, so I'd rather use XP but not at the expense of loss of graphics, etc. Any other thoughts?

tipsypo
Senior Airman

Post by tipsypo »

Don't be dumb stay with Windows 7 although use 64 bit no matter what OS. :wink: With Windows 7 those security "doodads" which I assume is the UAC as that always seemed most annoying can though be permanently shut down easily. Going back to XP your going to end up eventually finding that new softwares not compatible and such.
In the RAF they say an landing's ok, when the pilot gets out and can still walk away.
But in the FAA the prospect is grim, when the landings piss-poor and the pilot can't swim.
Cracking show, I'm Alive, But I've still got to render my A25!

whizkid
Airman First Class

Post by whizkid »

OK, I'm convinced, I'll re-install with Win7-64bit. I Googled "Re-install Win7-32bit to Win7-64bit" and found plenty of good info, along with the Zamboni game, so I'll see y'all in a week or so when it's finished! I also found out that I have a Dual-Core CPU and 8G of RAM, which was a surprise to me!

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Don't forget to check that your MB and CPU are 64bit compatible
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

whizkid
Airman First Class

Post by whizkid »

Yep, they are. Thanks.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”