A few Questions

Irelephant
Airman

Re: A few Questions

Post by Irelephant »

I got the menu as you mentioned and went into instant action and did the take off mission, but the graphics still don't look close to that that i have been seeing in other threads, in fact it looks the same as the original game :(

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Irelephant,

I have to say.. I love your username. :)

irrelevant (Having no applications or events in a specified circumstance)

from > The American Heritage DICTIONARY of the English Language.

-- yeah, I look these words up in my old beat up dictionary that is right by my right foot on the floor. :roll:
and I am a 13th generation American, still learning to speak and write proper English. :wink:

I don't use a laptop computer for BoBII.
Hell! I am probably the last person on earth that has refused to buy an I-Phone!
An old man of 58 years, and still has survived OK without cell phones.
I have neanderthal DNA. :wink:

Irelephant
Airman

Post by Irelephant »

Well I don't use a laptop, Refuse to buy a iPhone and don't own a cell phone XD

Danno
Airman

Post by Danno »

Hi Irelephant. I'm pretty new to this forum malarky and have no real computer knowledge, so I might be way out of line offering advice in the tech support area! However (and forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here), I was wondering if you have tried tinkering with the game resolution settings. On the main menu is an OPTIONS button; click on this and the first screen you get is titled GFX (in the top left hand corner, with more pages such as MORE GFX along the top next to it). At the top of the GFX page should be some options like USE DESKTOP SCREEN RESOLUTION OFF/ON. The default is ON; try turning this OFF. Then below, adjust the 3D RESOLUTION setting to most closely match the screen resolution normally used by your computer. You'd think that using DESKTOP SCREEN RESOLUTION ON would do this for you, but was my experience that this setting made the game look like something from an 80s video arcade and, what's more, bore no relevance to my normal desktop resolution setting anyway! Just so you know, 3D resolution is what affects the look of the game as you are flying, while CAMPAIGN resolution affects the screen you see when planning missions etc.

As I say, sorry for poking my nose in where it may well not be wanted, but I hope this helps. If it does, and you get the game looking 'something like it', there are a whole host of other options to be tinkered with in the graphics department alone, both those that are in the game menu and others that you may need some guidance in finding, if - like me - you're not very computer savvy. And there are people here who can explain every last one of them! Good luck with this, and Happy New Year.

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Yes Irelephant,

It is modelled on the F-16 stick and the A10 is modelled on the A10 warthog.

PV,

G2 games. I believe are part of GMX media, supposedly at www.gmxmedia.net/. Which no longer works. So I would view that disc with some scepticism.
Prem.

Asus Rog Strix Z690 F WiFi, Intel I9 12900 3200Mhz, 32Gig Mem 5600 DDR5, Asus AMD Radeon RX 6800, 1000W PSU, Windows 11 64bit, TrackIR 5 + Track clip pro, also TrackHat opentrack v3, Hotas Warthog + Viper TQS system & TRP rudder pedals.

Irelephant
Airman

Post by Irelephant »

It does look a bit dodgy, It's a bit of a pity because I got the disk for my Birthday with the view just to play it for BOB2 but that wont work. Oh well thanks for the help you guys, hopefully I will be able to buy the actual working game. But 3 games that work for 4 pounds isn't bad.

Irelephant
Airman

Post by Irelephant »

Danno wrote:Hi Irelephant. I'm pretty new to this forum malarky and have no real computer knowledge, so I might be way out of line offering advice in the tech support area! However (and forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here), I was wondering if you have tried tinkering with the game resolution settings. On the main menu is an OPTIONS button; click on this and the first screen you get is titled GFX (in the top left hand corner, with more pages such as MORE GFX along the top next to it). At the top of the GFX page should be some options like USE DESKTOP SCREEN RESOLUTION OFF/ON. The default is ON; try turning this OFF. Then below, adjust the 3D RESOLUTION setting to most closely match the screen resolution normally used by your computer. You'd think that using DESKTOP SCREEN RESOLUTION ON would do this for you, but was my experience that this setting made the game look like something from an 80s video arcade and, what's more, bore no relevance to my normal desktop resolution setting anyway! Just so you know, 3D resolution is what affects the look of the game as you are flying, while CAMPAIGN resolution affects the screen you see when planning missions etc.

As I say, sorry for poking my nose in where it may well not be wanted, but I hope this helps. If it does, and you get the game looking 'something like it', there are a whole host of other options to be tinkered with in the graphics department alone, both those that are in the game menu and others that you may need some guidance in finding, if - like me - you're not very computer savvy. And there are people here who can explain every last one of them! Good luck with this, and Happy New Year.
Yeah I tried all that and didn't seem to make a difference, and Happy New Year to you too :)

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Irelephant wrote:I got the menu as you mentioned and went into instant action and did the take off mission, but the graphics still don't look close to that that i have been seeing in other threads, in fact it looks the same as the original game :(
Hmm. If you are seeing a V2.11 and a "Multiplayer" on the
main menu screen, then you should have the right install.
You seem to have a valid game, and the latest patch
should have you good to go. What is it exactly you don't
like about what you're seeing? Can you put up a screenie,
then we can better advise. Screenies are captured with
"printscreen", and can be found in the "STILLS" folder.

Also, in Options>GFX on the line for 3D resolution, what
is the exact text in the menu box, that you have set?

Oh, and I guess I'll need to know what your vidcard is, as well.

Irelephant
Airman

Post by Irelephant »

http://imgur.com/a/c0u05

I have a 8800gt, correct me if I'm wrong (which I may be) some of the screenies in the screenshots thread are much better looking than what I took.

Irelephant
Airman

Post by Irelephant »

Danno wrote:Hi Irelephant. I'm pretty new to this forum malarky and have no real computer knowledge, so I might be way out of line offering advice in the tech support area! However (and forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here), I was wondering if you have tried tinkering with the game resolution settings. On the main menu is an OPTIONS button; click on this and the first screen you get is titled GFX (in the top left hand corner, with more pages such as MORE GFX along the top next to it). At the top of the GFX page should be some options like USE DESKTOP SCREEN RESOLUTION OFF/ON. The default is ON; try turning this OFF. Then below, adjust the 3D RESOLUTION setting to most closely match the screen resolution normally used by your computer. You'd think that using DESKTOP SCREEN RESOLUTION ON would do this for you, but was my experience that this setting made the game look like something from an 80s video arcade and, what's more, bore no relevance to my normal desktop resolution setting anyway! Just so you know, 3D resolution is what affects the look of the game as you are flying, while CAMPAIGN resolution affects the screen you see when planning missions etc.

Thank you Danno It WORKED!!!!!!!!! Sorry for taking up everyone's time with such a simple problem! :(

Danno
Airman

Post by Danno »

Ideal! Must say that I envy you if you can run the game smoothly at those settings too. Lucky chap. If adjustment is needed, first recommended reading would be Buddye's Parameter Tips and Tuning Hints (contained somewhere on this forum, as is a wealth of information about BOB - just use the search function), and Appendix whatever-it-is in the manual which deals with 'BDG Text Settings'. There are so many ways to tweak this game to get the best experience, graphically and in terms of gameplay, that it becomes a bit of a hobby in its own right. Happy hunting.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Ah, we're definitely going to have to get into the menus and
alter that. I believe it goes back to the first BoB2 release,
and was set up to work with old 3x4 aspect displays. I fails
to handle 16x9s.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”