Hot laptop from WoV?

new reply
Kras
Airman Basic

Hot laptop from WoV?

Post by Kras »

Hi!

New here. :D I have a quick question, which I couldn't find any answer to with a forum search. The basic "problem" is that my computer gets very hot, fan works really hard, very hot air is blown out of the fan exhaust when I play WoV 2.11 (first install ever, on a new laptop). My laptop is a Toshiba L855-10U, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7-3610QM, AMD Radeon HD 7670M 1GB. I can play the game quite well on high graphics settings. Occasionally I get CTD errors which seem to be unrelated to e.g. many planes on screen and stuff. Normally, the computer handles such stuff fine. Also, CTD isn't really a problem, since I'm a fairly casual gamer and I save often and don't mind starting over. :D

However, I'm wondering whether I'm harming the long-term health of my laptop by playing this game? It only builds up heat in flight mode, not e.g. in the campagin map mode. I've heard that "older" games sometimes uses up all of the processor power and works a lot harder that it "has to". I recently upgraded from 4GB RAM to 8GB, and this did not make a difference at least. Perhaps this is a common phenomenon?

Regards,
Kras

Jack Sparrow
Airman

Re: Hot laptop from WoV?

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Kras
Airman Basic

Post by Kras »

Try what exactly? The game works fine (W7 64 bit), just that the processor works overtime I think. I read about some memory address thing, is that something to try?

Jack Sparrow
Airman

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Kras wrote:Try what exactly? The game works fine (W7 64 bit), just that the processor works overtime I think. I read about some memory address thing, is that something to try?
Er.. how about the bit that laptops overheat and that you could try v2.09

OR keep doing what you're doing and blow your laptop, it's only advise you don't have to take it.

There's also all the other stuff about how to reduce load in 2.11

Kras
Airman Basic

Post by Kras »

Sorry, I was reading it on my phone and the second page didn't load, I'm sorry. I'll try 2.09!

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

You laptop should run BOBII without a overload.

The exta memory should not make any difference to BOBII and most flight sims.

You should not be getting CTD as I am not working on any BOBII code CTD at this time.

On windows 7 OS, we are seeing a problem with memory management causing CTD. The information below was the results of a study by our campaign programmer if you are interested:

I have a preliminary explanation for the crashes I've been experiencing. The following, if accurate, may well apply to both 64-bit (like mine) and high-end 32-bit systems. As you may have noticed when I posted about the 9.0c issue, I don't simply like to find a fix, I want to know why something works or doesn't work, so I tend to dig a little deeper on issues.

After doing everything on your list and several more like insuring the Particle Density was set to Medium and checking Disable Visual Themes under Compatibility, I found a post in the BOBII General Discussion Forum by Fish 40 http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=24606. He had found a light-weight, third party program, Large Address Aware (41k) http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... p?t=112556, that allowed BOBII to access more system memory and it solved his CTD problem.

Through that link, I found another light-weight app called Process Monitor (26k) which allowed me to chart memory usage by BOBII while it ran. The link for that app is here http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... ?p=1732756.

After I figured out the correct process name to type in to Process Monitor (Bob) it was a snap to use, type Bob and click start. What I learned proved illuminating. I had not yet installed the large address program, because I wanted to see what was happening in my system and diagnose if memory was in fact a problem and at what level.

In the two crashes I documented while Process Monitor was running the peak memory used by BOBII and the memory used at the moment of the crash were 1.73Gig/1.72Gig (first CTD) and 1.78Gig/1.76Gig (second CTD). What this looked like to me was that the game ran at its maximum memory request and crashed right at about that time while the system was attempting to manage the load. If you look at the min-max range of 1.72-1.78 and allow for the OS memory required, that puts the memory used right at 2Gig.

Next I installed Large Address Aware and ran it, alongside Process Monitor, and went on playing my RAF SPC. I've had no crashes so far and the highest recorded memory usage by BOBII was 2.12Gig.

My theory is that between the original Rowan game and community additions, the game's memory requirements may be accurately stated as 2Gig, but that does not leave any room for the OS's operations. Not placing blame or pointing fingers, just following the data trail.

I am a pretty good analyst, though not technically savvy so I called a friend who is a techie and laid out this theory for him. He thought it made sense. From what he'd read on the software development side, programming to access beyond the 2Gig limit requires a new skill set and it must be done deliberately, i.e. programs won't automatically access more than that amount of memory (the first 2Gig of physical memory) unless programmed to do so.

This brings me back to the diagnosis and the solution. These two utilities are quite small and easy to use, so diagnosing a memory issue is easy. The fix is quite straightforward using LAA; it permits BOBII to access 3Gig on 32-bit systems and 4Gig on 64-bit systems (if the systems have the physical memory).

Now that I'm done testing this out, I'm hoping my install will be stable enough to run without further problems.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Jack Sparrow
Airman

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Thought the issue here was overheating not overloading.

There are many modern laptops that have the processor, video card etc to run high resource games.

BUT they don't have the cooling hardware of a properly designed and built gaming desktop.
Yes the manufacturer specifications indicate that it should be possible.They can be run for short periods and you can get away with it but extended use WILL lead to overheating and the vulnerable parts are the connections between motherboard and video card.

In my own own experience, i blew an HP DV9500, the spec was so good that like myself many people used it for serious gaming and destroyed it just after the warranty expired.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Ah, this is very useful to know. I just got given a laptop with a
dual mode vid "card", which switches to a higher performance ATI
chip when requested for rendering 3D. I will approach its use with caution.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”