Patch 2.11 and "Vertex Buffer Creation Failure!" crash

new reply
BigTool4U
Airman Basic

Patch 2.11 and "Vertex Buffer Creation Failure!" crash

Post by BigTool4U »

Hi to all,
I recently bought this great game (the Limited Edition with the fantastic documentary DVD) and I'm very impressed, expecially about the big improvements that it received with all the released patches.

But I have a problem: with the historic mission "Sep 9th - London" the game crashes always after few minutes with the message "Vertex Buffer Creation Failure!".

I did some tests with all the patches available and it happens only with the 2.11, up to the 2.10 the game runs without any problem.
I'm using Windows 7 x64 but I tried it also with Windows XP SP3 x86 obtaining the same error.
I tried also disabling the autogen but nothing changed.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance and best regards!

Buddye
BDG

Re: Patch 2.11 and "Vertex Buffer Creation Failure!" crash

Post by Buddye »

This error is very rare. I can not remember seeing it in the last 7 years I have been working on BOBII. I do not have a fix for it and I do not understand why you are getting it.

I have three thoughts:

1. Do you have the latest updates of DirectX 9c ( Remember DirectX 9c, 10, and 11 all run independently)? BOBII needs the latest DirectX 9c> Here is a link for the web installer which will update only what is needed:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=10248

2. How much RAM do you have. BOBII version 2.11 increases memory requirements. Review the following information to see if you are interested:

This information was provided by our BOBII Campaign programmer.

I have a preliminary explanation for the crashes I've been experiencing. The following, if accurate, may well apply to both 64-bit (like mine) and high-end 32-bit systems. As you may have noticed when I posted about the 9.0c issue, I don't simply like to find a fix, I want to know why something works or doesn't work, so I tend to dig a little deeper on issues.

After doing everything on your list and several more like insuring the Particle Density was set to Medium and checking Disable Visual Themes under Compatibility, I found a post in the BOBII General Discussion Forum by Fish 40 http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=24606. He had found a light-weight, third party program, Large Address Aware (41k) http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... p?t=112556, that allowed BOBII to access more system memory and it solved his CTD problem.

Through that link, I found another light-weight app called Process Monitor (26k) which allowed me to chart memory usage by BOBII while it ran. The link for that app is here http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... ?p=1732756.

After I figured out the correct process name to type in to Process Monitor (Bob) it was a snap to use, type Bob and click start. What I learned proved illuminating. I had not yet installed the large address program, because I wanted to see what was happening in my system and diagnose if memory was in fact a problem and at what level.

In the two crashes I documented while Process Monitor was running the peak memory used by BOBII and the memory used at the moment of the crash were 1.73Gig/1.72Gig (first CTD) and 1.78Gig/1.76Gig (second CTD). What this looked like to me was that the game ran at its maximum memory request and crashed right at about that time while the system was attempting to manage the load. If you look at the min-max range of 1.72-1.78 and allow for the OS memory required, that puts the memory used right at 2Gig.

Next I installed Large Address Aware and ran it, alongside Process Monitor, and went on playing my RAF SPC. I've had no crashes so far and the highest recorded memory usage by BOBII was 2.12Gig.

My theory is that between the original Rowan game and community additions, the game's memory requirements may be accurately stated as 2Gig, but that does not leave any room for the OS's operations. Not placing blame or pointing fingers, just following the data trail.

I am a pretty good analyst, though not technically savvy so I called a friend who is a techie and laid out this theory for him. He thought it made sense. From what he'd read on the software development side, programming to access beyond the 2Gig limit requires a new skill set and it must be done deliberately, i.e. programs won't automatically access more than that amount of memory (the first 2Gig of physical memory) unless programmed to do so.

This brings me back to the diagnosis and the solution. These two utilities are quite small and easy to use, so diagnosing a memory issue is easy. The fix is quite straightforward using LAA; it permits BOBII to access 3Gig on 32-bit systems and 4Gig on 64-bit systems (if the systems have the physical memory).

Now that I'm done testing this out, I'm hoping my install will be stable enough to run without further problems.

Maybe this gives you another set of tools to use in dealing with CTDs. This is my first flight sim and I appreciate your dedication and the quality product you've delivered. What a challenge and it is pure FUN. Thanks.

3. You might also check or re-check the following basic setup items:

First, you cannot run BOBII in Windows Compatibility Mode (XP SP3). It runs in windows 7 64 bit just fine (which is what I run).

Second, I assume you are running the 2.11 Update and I see you are running windows 7. If you are not running the 2.11 update then download it and install it. Here is the link:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=21865

Below are the 2.11 release notes:

Note1: this update will bring *any* previous version up to 2.11. You do not need any previous patches at all.

Note2: You will need the latest DirectX to run 2.11.
You will get a missing .dll error if you do not. When you run the 2.11 self-installer it will point you to the Microsoft DirectX update page. Update to DirectX9.0c (June version). Unfortunately, there are multiple versions of 9.0c so if in any doubt, update.

Note3: The MultiSkin patch should go ON TOP OF Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (English) OR Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (International)
You should have a 256M gfx card to be sure to run without issues.

Note4: How to back up your existing settings from earlier BoBII updates.
Buddye's installation guide HERE-> http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 0&t=19368B
Back up your Bdg.txt and \savegame, \2dGauge, and \keyboard folders (these folders contain all your settings and joystick buttons)

Note5: If you have a low end system and experience a crash once into 3D, go to your bdg.txt file and set LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024 (the default is 2048). This will reduce the landscape texture resolution by a factor of 4 and should help users with low system memory.

Note6: Windows Vista and Window 7 users. All Vista and Windows 7 users will need to apply the 'Vista/Windows 7 fix' to your desktop shortcut as a fresh 2.11 install will overwrite the previous shortcut.
Right click on shortcut and go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab. Check "disable desktop composition" and check the privilege level, run this program as an administrator.

Note7: Forcing VSync with ATI card
There is a known issue with the latest ATI cards and VSync. See http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=21660
In short, you need to right click your ATI tray icon and enable through that (Wait for vertical refresh->Always on).

Note8: Framerates over densely populated areas of 3D objects
See the section later in this thread. Object rendering is not as efficient as we hope to make it in the future. Be prepared to check your Ground Object Density settings in densely populated urban areas. See below

Did you implement Note #6 (Important)?

Is you DirectX 9c update to the latest? If unsure run the Microsoft Web installer here(it will update only what is needed):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

If you are running a wide screen monitor check this thread and implement:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=12695
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

BigTool4U
Airman Basic

Post by BigTool4U »

Hello Buddye,
this is my hardware config:

Intel Core i5-760 @3.52GHz
ASRock P55 Deluxe3
G.Skill F3-12800CL7Q-8GBECO -> 8 GB
Gigabyte GTX 670 OC + Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum (PhysX dedicated)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Corsair HX1000W

The DirectX are already updated, confirmed by the DXWebSetup.
I'm not using any compatibility option, apart the "run this program as an administrator", as suggested.
I don't use neither the "disable desktop composition" because with it the videos don't work, however it crashes also if I enable it.

I'll try with that "Large Address Aware" utility and I'll let you know.

BTW, searching on the forum I found this post that confirms the crash on London: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 04#p190700

Thanks, bye!

BigTool4U
Airman Basic

Post by BigTool4U »

The "Large Address Aware" utility fixed the problem, thank you Buddye! :D

WOW, the 2.11 autogen of London is incredible, I love this game, thank you very much for all your hard work!!! 8)

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Glad you solved the problem. Always watch your six as the 109's can be a hand full.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Rends
Airman First Class

Post by Rends »

Just for the case if someone use Intel HD 4000 graphics.
You will also get the error message posted above if you set in the Intel graphic preferences the 3D settings to performance (all left).
Leave the slider in the middle!
This will not only prevent you from the error message but also give you better ingame textures in any game (you will loose 1-2 fps only).
Rends Mods
Chuck Yeager:"The first time i saw Rends online i ran for cover" ;-)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”