Hypertransport Sync Flood Errors with BoB II 2.11 Multiskin

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Hypertransport Sync Flood Errors with BoB II 2.11 Multiskin

Post by brianjgregory »

Hi All,
Would really appreciate some advice. For some time I've been encountering lockups; followed by reboot & the message: "A hypertransport sync flood error occurred on last boot. Press F1 to resume". This only happens with BoB II 2.11/ Multiskin 2.10. Everything else: Rise of Flight, IL2 4.11m, OFF, IL2 CoD, Lock On Flaming Cliffs, FSX, FS2004, First Eagles all perform rock solidly. Have tried all RAM speed settings: 1066, 1333 & 1600MHz; but makes no odds; same result: lockup; reboot & hypertransport sync flood message. This is really bugging me now as BoB II is my overall favourite & was looking forward to running it on my new Acer 27" 120Hz monitor with VSync off & hopefully no screen tearing. So far been unable to test this out properly.

Kit as follows:
MSI 870A Fuzion motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20GHz (unlocked to up to 3600MHz; but also occurs at default clockspeeds )
Antec H620 CPU watercooler + dual Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm radiator fans
4 x 2Gb Corsair Dominator CM3X2G 1600C9DHX DDR3 running at 1066MHz, 1333 & 1600MHz (all tried)
2 x 1Tb Samsung HDD's in RAID 1 mode
2 x ATi Radeon HD6950 2Gb in Crossfire mode (unlocked up to 840MHz GPU clock/ 1325 MHz memory clock; but also occurs at default clockspeeds)
Windows 7 64-bit OS
Iiyama ProLite B2403WS (@ 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz), then more recently
Acer HN274H monitor (@ 1920 x 1080 @ 120Hz)

3D settings in AMD Vision Engine Control panel (v12.1 64-bit drivers):

Anti-aliasing: Use application settings (standard filtering 2x sampling); morphological unchecked
Anisotropic Filtering: Use application settings
Tessellation: Use application settings
Catalyst AI: High Quality Texture Filtering; Enable Surface Format Optimisation checked
VSync: Off unless application specifies
Anti-aliasing mode: Performance
OpenGL: Triple buffering checked
AMD Crossfire Mode: Default

Any help or advice much appreciated. Thanks, Brian Gregory. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Buddye
BDG

Re: Hypertransport Sync Flood Errors with BoB II 2.11 Multis

Post by Buddye »

I have not seen or heard about the error message you are getting. Do you over clock? This is a note from another player having issues with a ATI card , upo might want to check out:

"hi everyone!

new to this forum but it has been extremely productive! i too was suffering from the OP's issue but i can confirm that anyone suffering from the phantom aircraft/ground objects/cockpits can fix this by disabling the adaptive antialiasing in the catalyst control center :D

im running on a sempron 145, ecs mcp61m-m3 mobo, radeon 4850 512mb gfx, 2x2gb pny ddr3, win7 ultimate 64bit and all is well.

would just like to say a big thanx to all at the bdg for making this sim above and beyond its original incarnation - i love il-2 but immersion-wise and for atmosphere, this is so much better.

cheers everyone :mrgreen:"

Have you read these post on others having your issue (sounds like a issue in the hardware and it is random at high load), if you are overclocking them reset to default:

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview ... adid=88140
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

Buddye,
Think the link you have provided may point me in the direction of a solution. Next I need to go into the BIOS & explicity set RAM voltage. I have set speed; but couldn't immediately see a RAM voltage submenu. Will report back progress. Thanks for your help.

Regards, Brian. :roll: :roll:

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

Tried ramping up RAM voltage to the Corsair recommended 1.6V with all the settings I'd been using before: both GPU's mildly (5%) overclocked, & the CPU at 3.6Ghz (instead of stock 3.3GHz). Things were OKk for a short while; then I started getting CTDs. Oh well, better than reboot + hypertransport error messages. So then I restored CPU & GPU's to default settings (but RAM voltage kept at 1.6V); hoping the CTDs would then stop. First try I got the ominous reboot + hypertransport flood error message again!! Going to reset back to mild overclock & see if I can get back to just intermittent CTDs until someone comes up with a better suggestion. :roll: :roll:

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

All,

Have circumvented the Hypertransport Sync Flood Error (HSFE) by installing new RAM which runs at my motherboard's 1.5v default DRAM voltage instead of the 1.8v (not 1.6v as I'd originally thought) default of my previous modules. Now after a few minutes (or less) game-time I get a mere CTD instead of a bluescreen, reboot plus HSFE. SO; while I am a bit further forward; I'm still not out of the woods by any means. Anyone have any other ideas. I am running "vanilla" with no overclocks on anything. Anyone got any more suggestions how to resolve the "new" CTD issue?

Rgds., Brian Gregory. :roll: :roll:

MSI 870A Fuzion motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20GHz
4 x 4Gb Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 DDR3 RAM running at 1.5v & 1333 MHz.
2 x ATi Radeon HD6950 2Gb in Crossfire mode (at 800MHz GPU clock/ 1250 MHz memory clock defaults)
Windows 7 64-bit OS
Iiyama ProLite B2403WS (@ 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz), then more recently

3D settings in AMD Vision Engine Control panel (v12.2 64-bit drivers):
Anti-aliasing: Use application settings (standard filtering 2x sampling); morphological unchecked
Catalyst AI: High Quality Texture Filtering; Enable Surface Format Optimisation checked
AMD Crossfire Mode: Default

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Good progress on the old issue.

Hi , I am sorry for your CTD issues. Carefully go through each step I have listed (step 1-4) as each is important to running BOBII.

First, BOBII requires a screen print size of 96. If you have change your DPI to a higher number (example 120 DPI or medium) then BOBII will crash to disk on a Menu Screen. To change your DPI to 96 in windows7 in desktop right click. Select screen Resolution and at the bottom click on "Make Text or Other Items larger or smaller". Then select smaller 100% (default).

Second, I assume you are running the 2.11 Update (I did not see what you are running from your note) and I see you are running windows 7. If you are not running the 2.11 update then download it and install it. Here is the link:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=21865

Below are the 2.11 release notes:

Note1: this update will bring *any* previous version up to 2.11. You do not need any previous patches at all.

Note2: You will need the latest DirectX to run 2.11.
You will get a missing .dll error if you do not. When you run the 2.11 self-installer it will point you to the Microsoft DirectX update page. Update to DirectX9.0c (June version). Unfortunately, there are multiple versions of 9.0c so if in any doubt, update.

Note3: The MultiSkin patch should go ON TOP OF Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (English) OR Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (International)
You should have a 256M gfx card to be sure to run without issues.

Note4: How to back up your existing settings from earlier BoBII updates.
Buddye's installation guide HERE-> http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 0&t=19368B
Back up your Bdg.txt and \savegame, \2dGauge, and \keyboard folders (these folders contain all your settings and joystick buttons)

Note5: If you have a low end system and experience a crash once into 3D, go to your bdg.txt file and set LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024 (the default is 2048). This will reduce the landscape texture resolution by a factor of 4 and should help users with low system memory.

Note6: Windows Vista and Window 7 users. All Vista and Windows 7 users will need to apply the 'Vista/Windows 7 fix' to your desktop shortcut as a fresh 2.11 install will overwrite the previous shortcut.
Right click on shortcut and go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab. Check "disable desktop composition" and check the privilege level, run this program as an administrator.

Note7: Forcing VSync with ATI card
There is a known issue with the latest ATI cards and VSync. See http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=21660
In short, you need to right click your ATI tray icon and enable through that (Wait for vertical refresh->Always on).

Note8: Framerates over densely populated areas of 3D objects
See the section later in this thread. Object rendering is not as efficient as we hope to make it in the future. Be prepared to check your Ground Object Density settings in densely populated urban areas. See below

Did you implement Note #6 (Imporant)?

Third, is you DirectX 9c update to the latest? Windows 7 will not have the lastest directx 9c (not that directx 10 and 11 are completely seperate) If unsure run the Microsoft Web installer here(it will update only what is needed):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Fourth, if you are running a wide screen monitor check this thread and implement:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=12695

Report back here after you run a few Instant Action Missions.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

Buddye,
Thanks for this. I am indeed running 2.11 + Multiskin & did a clean reinstall when all this started to try to circumvent many of the issues mentioned. I have also set as many BIOS options to "AUTO" as possible; am not overclocking any component, & have tried as far as possible to address all the aspects covered in your comprehensive e-mail. I will nevertheless go through it in detail & check point-by-point to make sure I haven't missed anything.

I have also trawled the Windows 7 Event Log & found that all the hypertransport sync flood errors (which I thought I'd solved but have returned; occurring after usually 20+mins 3D-game-time) are reported identically in the Log as below (but obviously with varying dates & times):

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/03/2012 10:33:23
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Phenom-II-X6
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-11T10:33:23.970432200Z" />
<EventRecordID>425156</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Phenom-II-X6</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">36</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x1904fb</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xfffff880035612c8</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xfffff88003560b20</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffff800035c76fb</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Don't know how to interpret this but possibly someone on the forum might. There are some suggestions on various forums that this might be a CPU or motherboard memory controller issue; but it only happens with BoB II. No other game I use provokes this phenomenon. It's really frustrating as I've purchased a touchscreen & am trying to experiment with the stuff Buccaneer posted for BoBII using a modified IL2CoD panel profile; but am being hindered by the hypertransport error + reboot problem. Thanks again for all your help to date anyway. Rgds., Brian. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Yes, I do understand it is frustrating. We have 1000's of players running BOBII and your problems is very specific (Ihave never seen it before in my 8 years work on BOBI and BOBII). I agree that the BOBII application must be invoking/driving this very intermittent problem on your PC invironment.

I have no idea what the root issue might be and I do hope some of our players or BDG members have some idea.
Buddye

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

I spent a few minutes reading various forum discussions of Hypertransport Sync Flood Error
problems, and the theme seems to be problems with memory voltage being low, or with
AMD's CoolNQuiet cpu energy saver widget choosing to intercede in an ungraceful manner.
I don't know my way around CNQ, but if you have it active you might try turning it off,
at least for running BoB2, however that's done.

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

Hi PV,
Thanks for this suggestion re AMD's CNQ. Am currently running motherboard in "Auto" mode w.r.t. Cool 'N Quiet & am open to any suggestion that might stop the Hypertransport sync flood error problem with BoBII. Will try disabling CNQ in BIOS options & report back result. Regards & Thanks, Brian Gregory. :roll: :roll:

teddyspaghetti
Airman Basic

Post by teddyspaghetti »

Hey OP!

Just wanted to say I made an account here primarily to respond to this post! See, I have the same specs as you! Without CX and more RAM.

I'm also having the same problem :(

1090T with OC Genie putting it to 3.67GHz.
MSI 870A Fuzion
XFX Radeon 6950 2GB
8GB Corsair RAM (2x4GB)
Win7 64bit

So far I have underclocked the pci-e and FSB, and I had to change my screen resolution to 720p from 1080p(I use an LG 42 inch TV as my monitor, through HDMI.) And all this only made it more infrequent. But it still happens often.

Here's another funny aspect, when I run a GPU stress tester, it doesn't happen! Or when I play GPU intensive games. I can play for hours, no problems. But when I watch any movies/videos through VLC or MPC, it happens within 15 minutes.

It also happens in Slackware linux as well, more quickly when I'm compiling code. So it's unlikely to be a windows driver issue. I think it could also be a lack of BIOS updates as well. It seems MSI is neglecting us, for other mobo's have gotten AGESA code updates, but we haven't had one since 2010!

If you find anything out let me know, I'll stick around here. I just ordered 8GB more RAM and a new power supply. If nothing changes, I'll probably replace this mobo :( Especially since we are having the same problem with the same specs, I'm even more convinced it's a compatibility issue. Especially if it started happening after you added the new GPU's.

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

Hi teddyspaghetti,
Thanks for your post. Since my last post I have also tried a change of RAM (to 4 x 4Gb of Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1.5v DDR3 - same as the m/b's SPD setting). Despite trying to manually set DRAM voltage & other RAM settings etc in BIOS but applying no overclocking of anything; the problem persisted & was probably worse than before. After two lots of Vengeance modules which gave intermittent "Memory_Management" bluescreens & assorted problems when running MemTest86+ (never mind the increased frequency of Hypertransport Sync Flood errors!) have RMA'd these modules & gone back to the original 4 x 2Gb of 1.8v Dominator RAM for the time being; sync flood problem still occurring after varying intervals every time I go into BoBII 3D mode. Have frankly had it with this MSI board now as it stops me getting full enjoyment out of playing my favourite flightsim. Have ordered an Asus 990FX Sabertooth AM3+ board with the new-fangled UEFI BIOS & am going to transfer my system over to this new 'board - hopefully in time for BoBII 2.12 to arrive. Will report back progress when new system is up-and-running. :| :|

Rgds., Brian.

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

All,
I am now convinced that this problem is related to AMD's RAID drivers. I have just installed a new (Asus Sabertooth 990FX) motherboard; complete with UEFI BIOS & 16Gb of vendor approved Corsair dual-channel DDR3 RAM. Have moved my system across to this new setup. All the hardware (motherboard/ RAM excepted) is as before. What also hasn't changed is that I am running in RAID1 mode with the (reinstalled) identical AMD RAID drivers & console as for the previous installation. Again, all my other flightsims are OK except BoBII. Now no longer getting hypertransport sync flood errors: now it's a hard lockup that can only be retrieved by a reset reboot. Any suggestions gratefully received - deconstructing my system & running in non-RAID mode is, however, one option I'm not prepared to even contemplate.

System:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20GHz
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 DDR3 RAM (rated 1866MHz) running at 1.5v & 1546 MHz.
2 x ATi Radeon HD6950 2Gb in Crossfire mode (at 800MHz GPU clock/ 1250 MHz memory clock defaults)
Windows 7 64-bit OS

3D settings in AMD Vision Engine Control panel (v12.2 64-bit drivers):
Catalyst AI: High Quality Texture Filtering; Enable Surface Format Optimisation unchecked
AMD Crossfire Mode: Default :roll: :roll:

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Brian,

You have been working hard on this issue.

I am sorry to tell you that IMHO, based on my many years of working on BOBII, I have never seen a "lockup" that was caused by BOBII code errors. The cause has always been the players PC environment with bad BOBII installs, virus software, directx out of date, OS issues, PC hardware, driver issues, and OS settings being the highest priority causes.

Of course, it is possible that this problem could be the first.
Buddye

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

I have managed to force some severe game lockups, when experimentally fiddling with BoBII v2.11, and modifying stuff. OUCH!
A terrible terror fiddler with game files I am tho. Push the Envelope!
v2.11 as offered, never gave me computer lock-ups.
Even tho I am now fiddle-fakking with v2.12 in an aggressive modifying way, and more sober folks might WHACK! my fingers for doing things I do..
I still get no game Lock Ups.

Did learn some boundaries where I shall not tread. There Be Dragons! Or minefields and IED's naught to be stepped upon.
I hate boundaries. But they exist.

BoBII v2.11 is innocent for most of us. A walk in the Park!

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”