Lockup & Freeze during Instant Action Flights

whizkid
Airman First Class

Re: Lockup & Freeze during Instant Action Flights

Post by whizkid »

kaybayray wrote:Thank You PV,

Actually I have recently turned on the damage models, wounds and all that since I was getting the hang of flying within the flight model. However I have been flying with those settings for almost a year now with no issue until this started recently. There may also be something to what you are speaking of with respect to programs running in the background. I haven't really payed much attention to that as I have not had issues before. Perhaps you could give me some advice on settings to minimize system drain. Also I would greatly appreciate anything you can do to explain how I might check the background stuff and shut off what I don't really want running. I am not the most fluent computer user I just like playing games on them.

I will take a look at my system and see if I can figure out what all hardware I have and post it. I would still like to know if the buglog I posted shows any issues. Also anything you can explain or lead me to info on known system drain issues that can cause the problems I am having would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I can check and see if I can find the fix to some of this there.

I am running Windows7 but I don't like it. It takes too much control of my computer away from me and it is hard to take it back. I have used XP since it came out and I like it because it is simple and I never had any problems. However I succumbed to the advice of one of the IT Techs at work and IMHO foolishly went with W7. Most of the problems I have had with my computer all started then. Not to mention that every software program seems hell bent on taking complete control of my computer to run their petty little programs.

Guess I am the only one in the Western Hemisphere that has no Cell Phone, Ipod, Ipad, Deskpod, Blackberry, Blueberry, Pillowpod, etc.... and I dont do Facebook or Myspace neither, and this cat don't Tweet... that's for the Birds IMHO.

Regards,
KayBay
Hey, KayBay, Happy New Year to you.
Just thought I'd let you know that you are not alone about not having a Cell Phone, Ipod, etc, etc, etc. I haven't had any of those, and proudly let people know it, too! I agree about Win 7 as well. I had XP and was very happy, but foolishly "Upgraded" and do nothing but cuss at 7 all the time! But then I'm 81 yrs old, so what can you expect!
But the upside is the article I read last week that said that if you're over 75 that using Computers is one of the best ways of keeping your brain active and you're less likely to suffer degenerative brain loss, too! Who'd have thunk it?
Anyway, back to figuring out the Win 7 problems. See ya'!

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Guess I am the only one in the Western Hemisphere that has no Cell Phone, Ipod, Ipad, Deskpod, Blackberry, Blueberry, Pillowpod, etc.... and I dont do Facebook or Myspace neither, and this cat don't Tweet... that's for the Birds IMHO.
Ha! I am not the only Luddite left in the world. :)

whizkid,

I am with you, too.
Lived quite well for 58 years without any of these invasive species.
I will hold out against this insanity as long as I can.

Mickvet
Senior Airman

Post by Mickvet »

Men after my own heart! :D The Middle Ages was a far better time for inventions. Like beer...

inferno493
Airman First Class

Post by inferno493 »

I'm having the same problem after installing 2.12. Campaign flights work fine. Instant action is hard locking my computer after a few minutes in flight. Sometimes it just freezes and other times I get a screenfull of vertical lines. I don't play IA much so I probably won't go to a lot of trouble trying to resolve it. Just thought I'd let you know it's more than just one person.
Ooh, ooh, I'm flying a hurricane. It's a sh*t plane, I'm rubbish and my mum goes chippy in her slippers.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

inferno493 wrote:I'm having the same problem after installing 2.12. Campaign flights work fine. Instant action is hard locking my computer after a few minutes in flight. Sometimes it just freezes and other times I get a screenfull of vertical lines. I don't play IA much so I probably won't go to a lot of trouble trying to resolve it. Just thought I'd let you know it's more than just one person.
Thanks for the post.

We have never had a verified lock up or hang on BOBII that was caused by BOBII software during my 8 years on BOBII. It has always been virus software, bad install, PC hardware, drivers, settings, or an OS environment problem (Directx, etc.).

I would recommend that you find out what the issue is. If interested justlet me know on this thread when/if you are ready to proceed..
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

inferno493
Airman First Class

Post by inferno493 »

Well, it looks like I am going to have to find out as it just froze up in the campaign. I've updated my direct x drivers and applied the desktop composition fix. I'll be checking my video drivers next as it seems likely those may be the problem what with the occasional weird screen patterns on lockup. I'll post more as I progress.
Ooh, ooh, I'm flying a hurricane. It's a sh*t plane, I'm rubbish and my mum goes chippy in her slippers.

inferno493
Airman First Class

Post by inferno493 »

Just to be clear, the LAA fix is now rolled into 2.12 correct?

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Yes, v2.12 is large address aware, so a 64 bit machine with 3GB or more
should run quite happily with it. 32 bit machines, also requiring 3GB, will
also require the memory enabling bootup tweak described here
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=33282
but should then also run quite happily.

inferno493
Airman First Class

Post by inferno493 »

Well, I haven't had much luck so far. Just for reference I am running a core i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz with 16GB of ram and a radeon 6900 with 2GB of ram and the most recent driver updates available. Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I'm using avast antivirus, which I haven't ever experienced problems with in the past.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Your gamers PC should be super. How did you install BOBII clean or over the old one?

Here is a copy of the BOBII 2.12 Update Release notes. I recommend you read each one carefully and take the required actions for your PC environment if not alraedy done:

Note1: this update will bring *any* previous version up to 2.12. You do not need any previous patches at all.
Note2: You will need the latest DirectX to run 2.12.
You will get a missing .dll error if you do not. When you run the 2.12 self-installer it will point you to the Microsoft DirectX update page. Update to DirectX9.0c (June version). Unfortunately, there are multiple versions of 9.0c so if in any doubt, update.
Note3: The MultiSkin patch should go ON TOP OF Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.12 Patch (English) OR Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.12 Patch (International)
You should have a 256M gfx card to be sure to run without issues.
Note4: How to back up your existing settings from earlier BoBII updates.
Buddye's installation guide HERE-> http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 0&t=19368B
Back up your Bdg.txt and \savegame, \2dGauge, and \keyboard folders (these folders contain all your settings and joystick buttons)
Note5: If you have a low end system and experience a crash once into 3D, go to your bdg.txt file and set LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024 (the default is 2048). This will reduce the landscape texture resolution by a factor of 4 and should help users with low system memory.
Note6: The minimum requirements for BoBII have changed very significantly since initial release. To run 2.12 successfully we recommend Win XP/7, 2GB RAM, 1GB Video card, Strong Dual or Quad Core processor.
Note7: Vista and Windows 7 users may need to apply the 'Vista/Windows 7 fix' to your desktop shortcut as a fresh 2.11 install will overwrite the previous shortcut.
Right click on shortcut and go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab. Check "disable desktop composition" and check the privilege level, run this program as an administrator.
Note8: Forcing VSync with ATI card
There is a known issue with the latest ATI cards and VSync. See http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=21660
In short, you need to right click your ATI tray icon and enable through that (Wait for vertical refresh->Always on).
Note9: Framerates over densely populated areas of 3D objects.
See the section later in this thread. Object rendering is not as efficient as we hope to make it in the future. Be prepared to check your Ground Object Density settings in densely populated urban areas. See below.
Note10: You will not be able to run old campaigns with 2.12. You will need to restart them.
Note11: To run 2.12 with max settings you will need minimum of 3G RAM (ideally 4G). Players with 32 bit Windows7 will need to enable the "/3GB switch" to their system.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=33282
Note12: To see in-menu videos with Win7, see here: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p161307 or install codecs here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/indeo_codec.htm
Note13: If you have a wide screen monitor then you must do the folling:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=12695
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

inferno493
Airman First Class

Post by inferno493 »

I have gone through the setup guide and started with a clean install. Did the vsync thing as well. I haven't done the monitor dpi settings adjustment although it looks like it should crash at the menu's if it was going to (I will do it anyway just to be sure).

edit - monitor settings were already correct.

inferno493
Airman First Class

Post by inferno493 »

Just flew an instant action and a campaign mission with no problems. The only thing I did was logout of icloud and disabled magiciso. hopefully it's just that easy.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

inferno493 wrote: The only thing I did was logout of icloud and disabled magiciso.
Errp; I don't have a clue what those things are. More stuff I'm going to need to know about?

inferno493
Airman First Class

Post by inferno493 »

iCloud is a program that keeps apple products backed up to their cloud storage servers and MagicISO is a utility that mounts virtual drives and images. I'm not getting complete lock ups but I am suffering from english text CTD's now, although they are not as frequent.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

We are have very few CTD (English TEXT is a catch all for all kinds/Types of CTD) so this is most likely an issue with your PC environment.

Does this cloud thingy happen during 3D like when virus softwrae takes over during 3D? I do not anything mess with 3D on my PC.

Look at the crashlog.txt file in the BOBII folder.

Post the first 20 lines of the last few crashlog for me to review. They could contain a clue but it is a longshot.
Buddye

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”