Battle of Britain English Text has stopped working

mprozny
Airman Basic

Post by mprozny »

I have just installed BOB2 . When I start the program I get a, “Battle of Britain English Text has stopped working “, error.
Start program – main welcome screen comes up – click on Campaigns – blue screen with two options comes up – RAF and Luftwaffe – click on either of the selections - a box pops up which reads:
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
Program the crashes to desktop
From main welcome screen select – Instant Action – Basic Training screen comes up and within a few seconds the Battle of Britain English Text has stopped working box comes up and then crashes to desktop.

I have deleted and have re installed the program twice now with same results both times.
Any suggestions
My Computer :
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model P35-DS3P
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Video – GeForce GTS 250
DirectX Support 10
Dedicated video memory 1024 MB GDDR3

Moe
[email protected]

Buddye
BDG

Re: Battle of Britain English Text has stopped working

Post by Buddye »

Hi and welcome to BOBII and the BOBII forums and community. I am sorry for your issues.

First, BOBII requires a screen print size of 96. If you have change your DPI to a higher number (example 120 DPI or medium) then BOBII will crash to disk on a Menu Screen. To change your DPI to 96 in windows7 in desktop right click. Select screen Resolution and at the bottom click on "Make Text or Other Items larger or smaller". Then select smaller 100% (default).

In Options->GFX try 1024x768 for your Campaign resolution as a test.

Second, I assume you are running the 2.11 Update (I did not see what you are running from your note) and I see you are running windows 7. If you are not running the 2.11 update then download it and install it. Here is the link:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=21865

Below are the 2.11 release notes:

Note1: this update will bring *any* previous version up to 2.11. You do not need any previous patches at all.

Note2: You will need the latest DirectX to run 2.11.
You will get a missing .dll error if you do not. When you run the 2.11 self-installer it will point you to the Microsoft DirectX update page. Update to DirectX9.0c (June version). Unfortunately, there are multiple versions of 9.0c so if in any doubt, update.

Note3: The MultiSkin patch should go ON TOP OF Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (English) OR Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (International)
You should have a 256M gfx card to be sure to run without issues.

Note4: How to back up your existing settings from earlier BoBII updates.
Buddye's installation guide HERE-> http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 0&t=19368B
Back up your Bdg.txt and \savegame, \2dGauge, and \keyboard folders (these folders contain all your settings and joystick buttons)

Note5: If you have a low end system and experience a crash once into 3D, go to your bdg.txt file and set LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024 (the default is 2048). This will reduce the landscape texture resolution by a factor of 4 and should help users with low system memory.

Note6: Windows Vista and Window 7 users. All Vista and Windows 7 users will need to apply the 'Vista/Windows 7 fix' to your desktop shortcut as a fresh 2.11 install will overwrite the previous shortcut.
Right click on shortcut and go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab. Check "disable desktop composition" and check the privilege level, run this program as an administrator.

Note7: Forcing VSync with ATI card
There is a known issue with the latest ATI cards and VSync. See http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=21660
In short, you need to right click your ATI tray icon and enable through that (Wait for vertical refresh->Always on).

Note8: Framerates over densely populated areas of 3D objects
See the section later in this thread. Object rendering is not as efficient as we hope to make it in the future. Be prepared to check your Ground Object Density settings in densely populated urban areas. See below

Did you implement Note #6 (Imporant)?

Third, is you DirectX 9c update to the latest? If unsure run the Microsoft Web installer here(it will update only what is needed):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Fourth, if you are running a wide screen monitor check this thread and implement:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=12695

Report back here after you run a few Instant Action Missions.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

mprozny
Airman Basic

Post by mprozny »

Have tried everything, uninstalled program, cleaned config.sys, entered regedit and removed all ref to battle of britain, reinstalled Bob and the patch to 2.11.

Before I removed the prog I checked the the bob folder for - bdg_out.txt - not there - dumplog.dmp - empty - debuglog.txt - non existant.

Current folder - bdg_out.txt - empty - dumplog.dmp - non existant - debuglog.txt - "DeleteStaticRendererStuff in .\StaticInitExitD3D9.cpp at line 175
FreeMultiSkins in .\MultiSkin.cpp at line 520
CTextureInfoViaRowanIndex::re_init in ..\3D\wkimage.cpp at line 69"

Next?

Moe

Tried to run the prog agian and checked debuglog.txt now there is nothing in it.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

So, to be clear, you are crashing always in menu screens - you don't get as far as
launching the 3D?

If so, you may be crashing on screens that call up video clips. Instead of going in
to those screens, go first into the Options screens, to Options>Adv. (Advanced),
and find there, and check the box "Skip in-game videos". This should get you past
any difficulty your machine is having with rendering videos.

If, on the other hand, you are crashing at the start of the 3D, that is most often
caused by not having a current version of DirectX 9.0c.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

You are not even getting to 3D. You are crashing in the menu.

Just to confirm, did you carefully complete each step that I listed in my post.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

gullwing
Airman

Post by gullwing »

Has this topic moved to a different area? I have been following this because I have the same issue. I am running the same OS (W764bit), 6 core AMD, AMD video card with 1gb RAM and Direct X 11. I can navigate the "Options" menus, but when I access "Instant Action", the video box is grey and then the "English Text has stopped working" message arrives and CTD. I have uninstalled and been waiting to see if corrective actions were developed. I don't have the regedit, etc skills as earlier posted. I just did a "Program Uninstall". I will be happy to reinstall and try the aforementioned techniques. Thanks.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

We're always here to help, but if the original poster provides no more information, there's
nothing more we can do. SO, let's pick this up again. The same question I asked mprozny:
You are crashing always in menu screens - you don't get as far as launching the 3D?

Are you able to select anything on the menu screen, or are things hung as soon as you enter
it? Have you tried the solution I offered mprozny - to switch off in-game videos?

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

gullwing wrote:Has this topic moved to a different area? I have been following this because I have the same issue. I am running the same OS (W764bit), 6 core AMD, AMD video card with 1gb RAM and Direct X 11. I can navigate the "Options" menus, but when I access "Instant Action", the video box is grey and then the "English Text has stopped working" message arrives and CTD. I have uninstalled and been waiting to see if corrective actions were developed. I don't have the regedit, etc skills as earlier posted. I just did a "Program Uninstall". I will be happy to reinstall and try the aforementioned techniques. Thanks.
Did you follow my suggections in my long note? What happened?
Buddye

gullwing
Airman

Post by gullwing »

Sorry, I have been out of touch with the internet since my post. I will be traveling the next two days as well. I will attempt to reinstall and experiement with your suggestions, Tuesday April 3rd. Thanks for your patience.

gullwing
Airman

Post by gullwing »

Buddye,

I did a complete reinstall from the original disc. I experienced the same problem although I selected skip videos. The "Englis Text Has Stopped Working" error message came up shortly after the photo of the English Channel photo appears, before "Generating Textures, Weather, etc." My 3d resolution was 1920x1080x60 and my Campaign Resolution was `1024x768x60. My Windows desktop resolution is 1920x1080.

I patched the game directly to 2.11 then 2.11 multiskin. This time the "Options" screen listed "Use Windows Desktop Resolution" ON as default.
3D Resolution had no window for selection as previously availabe.
Campaign Resolution 1024x768x60.

I ran two "Instant Missions" without the error appearing. The in cockpit resolution was huge, I'm guessing 1024 (I have a 26" monitor). I had selected "Take Off" first, which I flew, circled then landed. Pressing AltX, the menu Screen was different shading, a kind of bluish tint and my Windows Desktop resolution was at least 1024 vs 1920.
Next Instant Action mission, I selected Landing. Once again, cockpit resolution is huge, but as I ran the program a few minutes (I lost sight of the aeordrome) it froze and locked up my system. "Control/Alt/Del" had no affect. I had to do a hard reboot. I will be out of pocket for the next two days. I will gladly try anything ya'll might suggest. I bought this new computer to play BoBII at full settings and CoD.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

You have a wide screen you will need to do the following:

First, set you "windows" resolution (in windows) to your monitors native resolution.

Second, because you have a Wide Screen Monitor try in game setting of resolution:

Set in options->GFX use Windows Desktop Resolution (Recommended)=OFF

Then manually select the resolution (in game) as close as possible to your monitors native resolution from the pull down list of resolution options.
Buddye

gullwing
Airman

Post by gullwing »

Buddye, THANKS. Made the changes and flew quick take off and landing in "Instant Action". Other than poor Piloting, everything works, 3D resolution is good, ff, etc. I still have the videos turned off as previously configured. Sorry I'm timid, but do you think they will work now? I hate to screw something up and have to start again. Thanks again for your help and patience.

gullwing
Airman

Post by gullwing »

A little pre mature in my enthusiasm. The next two Instant missions I loitered around or couldn't find the target, Land and Intercept and both times the program Froze the Visual. The Engine sound continued for a few seconds, 20 to 30, started stuttering then full Freeze. Cnt+Alt+Del had no effect. Had to soft boot the system. Acts like memory issue of days of older systems or video cards. Any advice?

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

It could be something is running in the background like your virus software updating or some other process.

Try, setting your screen to small screen mode so you can see what is going on :

FORCE_WINDOWED_MODE=ON
Buddye

bob2w
Airman

Post by bob2w »

Hi All,

I have fixed the crash error:-
battle of britain english text has stopped working

Symptom:- Crashing while playing for few minutes.
OS Win7 64bit

Fix:-
On Windows desktop right click and choose Personalize, click on:- Display, click on:- Set custom text size (DPI), uncheck:- Use Windows XP style DPI scaling.

The above took me awhile to figure out, I persisted with it, changing Option settings in the game made no difference, the clue to this issue was on this page about DPI

Now my outstanding issue is getting multiplayer to work, I host on one machine and join on the other, as lan setup i.e my private network.
I did get the session on join eventually by creating join first then create, but now can't seem to get anything, I'm keen to get the network up and running internally cause in my opinion
it's the closest to real you can get in sound, graphics etc....

Oh and compatibility settings as follows:-
-unchecked:- Run this prog in comp mode for
-check:- disable desktop composition
-check:- run this prog as admin

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”