BOBII and Windows 7 64-bit

fbass
Airman Basic

BOBII and Windows 7 64-bit

Post by fbass »

Please forgive if this post is a bit dense. I've read through the posts concerning running BOBII under Windows 7. However, the information is hard to understand. Here is what happens when I execute this program.

1. Click the BOB II icon (current updates installed)
2. The screen(s) turn black
3. Screen resolution goes to 800x600
4. Desktop icons appear on the desktop
5. BOBII does not run.

I have a particular system that may prevent this program from executing properly even though is it running in the Windows Compatibility Mode (XP SP3)

Here are my system specs:
ASUS mobo
12Gb RAM
NVidia 480GTX (liq cooled)
Intel i7 Extreme (liq cooled - not overclocked)
MATROX TripleHead2Go Digital Ed (running native resolution 3840x1024)
3 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD monitors
Large number of USB aircraft controls
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog
Windows7 64-bit Pro

I hope someone can help because I really like this program.

Thanks

Frank

Buddye
BDG

Re: BOBII and Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Buddye »

Hi and welcome to BOBII and the BOBII forums and community.

First, you cannot run BOBII in Windows Compatibility Mode (XP SP3). It runs in windows 7 64 bit just fine (which is what I run).

Second, I assume you are running the 2.11 Update and I see you are running windows 7. If you are not running the 2.11 update then download it and install it. Here is the link:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=21865

Below are the 2.11 release notes:

Note1: this update will bring *any* previous version up to 2.11. You do not need any previous patches at all.

Note2: You will need the latest DirectX to run 2.11.
You will get a missing .dll error if you do not. When you run the 2.11 self-installer it will point you to the Microsoft DirectX update page. Update to DirectX9.0c (June version). Unfortunately, there are multiple versions of 9.0c so if in any doubt, update.

Note3: The MultiSkin patch should go ON TOP OF Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (English) OR Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (International)
You should have a 256M gfx card to be sure to run without issues.

Note4: How to back up your existing settings from earlier BoBII updates.
Buddye's installation guide HERE-> http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 0&t=19368B
Back up your Bdg.txt and \savegame, \2dGauge, and \keyboard folders (these folders contain all your settings and joystick buttons)

Note5: If you have a low end system and experience a crash once into 3D, go to your bdg.txt file and set LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024 (the default is 2048). This will reduce the landscape texture resolution by a factor of 4 and should help users with low system memory.

Note6: Windows Vista and Window 7 users. All Vista and Windows 7 users will need to apply the 'Vista/Windows 7 fix' to your desktop shortcut as a fresh 2.11 install will overwrite the previous shortcut.
Right click on shortcut and go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab. Check "disable desktop composition" and check the privilege level, run this program as an administrator.

Note7: Forcing VSync with ATI card
There is a known issue with the latest ATI cards and VSync. See http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=21660
In short, you need to right click your ATI tray icon and enable through that (Wait for vertical refresh->Always on).

Note8: Framerates over densely populated areas of 3D objects
See the section later in this thread. Object rendering is not as efficient as we hope to make it in the future. Be prepared to check your Ground Object Density settings in densely populated urban areas. See below

Did you implement Note #6 (Imporant)?

Is you DirectX 9c update to the latest? If unsure run the Microsoft Web installer here(it will update only what is needed):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

If you are running a wide screen monitor check this thread and implement:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=12695

Report back here after you run a few Instant Action Missions.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

fbass
Airman Basic

Post by fbass »

I posted an answer to the TS response earlier this morning but it does not appear here. Has that post gone missing?

Thanks

Frank

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Your response seems to have appeared in the "Do You Run a Wide Screen Monitor?"
sticky thread, at the top of this forum.

Regarding your enquiry about the Matrox triplehead system, it seems to work with
BoB2 according to this thread: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 5&p=116967
but with some minor issues. There's also this older thread about adjusting wide FOV:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... =10&t=7708
with some nice screenies on the first page, but other than that all you need to
know from it is the last post on the last page
-for those triple headers.. "enable ALLOW_ULTRA_HIGH_FOVS in the bdg.txt"
to allow a wide and deep view.

fbass
Airman Basic

Post by fbass »

This is still not a solution to my problem. Let me explain:

As I said previously, I have the MATROX TripleHead2Go Digital Edition. Here is my monitor setup:

Monitors 1,2, and 3 (A1) is configured as my primary monitor - MATROX screen extender - total res 3840x1024.
Monitor 4 (A2) is an extra monitor I use for 2d pop-up panels in FSX - res 1024x768
Monitor 5 (B1) is my touch screen - res 1024x768 - I have an assortment of touch screen apps that run on this mon
Monitor 6 (B2) is my VRInsight CDUII monitor - res 600x800

NOTE: When Windows7 boots, the cursor will move through all 6 monitors in turn (as configured under "Personalize"

All my applications start in the configured A1 center monitor except BOBII. BOBII starts on a piece of B1 and a piece of B2. I can't get to the Options menu selection to adjust anything (not a full display). I have enabled ALLOW_ULTRA_HIGH_FOVS in the bdg.txt. I don't know why this particular application will not display in the center A1 monitor. Both the Windows7 and NVidia monitor management utilities have settings that properly display applications.

BOBII appears to run properly but does not display on the configured monitor.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Frank

fbass
Airman Basic

Post by fbass »

OK, I'm getting closer. I changed all the POV settings (MAX and starting) to 135. I've adjusted all my monitor settings which now allow BOBII to display in the MATROX 3 monitor setup. However, I can't get the user-interface screen or the game to display across all three monitors. Right now the interface/game displays on monitor A1 and the game begins on this monitor. When I first execute the program a blank window (white, empty background) flashes across all three screens but the program interface only opens on the first monitor.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Frank

fbass
Airman Basic

Post by fbass »

One other thing I just noticed. BOBII somehow changes my Windows7 monitor configuration and rearranges the monitors. I navigated to the Windows7 monitor config after shutting down BOBII and my settings were changed. I didn't know that an app could change a Windows7 configuration that drastically.

Frank

fbass
Airman Basic

Post by fbass »

I don't know if this is related to my overall problem with BOBII so if I posted this in the wrong place I apologize. In my current configuration I have the following USB game controls:

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Joystick
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle Body
SimTechNik Pedals

When I go into the Options Menu and Select Controls these devices are listed in the selection menu. If I configure the Joystick for x and y axis the selection is made in the game. If I then select the Throttle and assign the axis to throttle the configuration takes. If I then select the pedals, the selection for rudder is made. I then "Continue" and the program asks me if I want to save these assignment. I indicate "Yes."

When I go to "Fly," the settings for throttle do not work. If I go back to the "Control" menu and look at the configuration for Warthog Throttle, all the axis assignments are there including the Joystick settings. This confuses the game because those settings that belong to the Joystick are now configured in the Throttle. I've tried clearing the incorrect assignments but this does not work.

The control settings for these three devices are not persistent so when you fly nothing works properly.

Frank

DoctorW
Airman

Post by DoctorW »

[quote="Buddye"]Hi and welcome to BOBII and the BOBII forums and community.

First, you cannot run BOBII in Windows Compatibility Mode (XP SP3). It runs in windows 7 64 bit just fine (which is what I run).

Second, I assume you are running the 2.11 Update and I see you are running windows 7. If you are not running the 2.11 update then download it and install it. Here is the link:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=21865

!!!!!!!!!! Dunno wot i'm doing lol. Went to the link, clicked to down load and.....nothing happens (at all) - just goes to a new page with nothing much on it.

Bl**dy frustrating, even if I am pc illiterate - bloody links on other sites say download patch, but then try to sucker you into downloading some other cr*p.
Any ideas how to sort out something that should be easy as?

Cheers,
DoctorW.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Sorry about your problems but it is just inexperience in patching flight sims.

Here is the link to download the 2.11 BOBII Update:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_59140.shtml

1. Just click the download and wait until short video completes. When it says your download is ready click download. Then click save.

2. Unpack the 2.11 update using rar (rar is a program to uncompress the download, compression is used to save disk space).

3. After you unpack the self-installer all you need to do is double click it and follow the instructions carefully. You must ensure that the self-installer points at your BOBII folder which should be already OK if you installed BOBII using the default location for the BOBII folder.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

DoctorW
Airman

Post by DoctorW »

Thx once again. Will try again when get home from office.
Cheers,

DoctorW.

BOBC
Airman First Class

Post by BOBC »

Hi,
Hopping onto this thread,
trying to find out how I install BoB WoV II onto a win 7 64 bit pro pc, having last run it years ago on win XP.
I have my original BoB WoV II disc and have downloaded the latest patch BDG 2.13

I see some notes on what to do in win7, such as screen text, so will follow these.

I see no mention of multiskin over 2.13 required so does 2.13 give us everything ?

Trying to remember what multiskin was in fact, brain rusted up somewhat as its been a few years now.

Cheers

BOBC

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hi BOBC

You don't need to install multi skin to upgrade to 2.13. The basic update contains all the stuff to upgrade the 'time machine' to its current state of the art.

Multi Skin is an addition to the graphics of the aircraft. It adds another level of realism to BoB2 in that it introduces authentic paint and marking schemes to Battle of Britain. It replicates the actual markings and paint schemes of the various squadrons of both the RAF and Luftwaffe, rather than have generic visuals. Its not essential but if your computer will run it (a 1 GB graphics card is the recommended minimum) then it is well worth installing.

The self-extractor for 2.13 will give you the option of whether to install multi skin in addition to the 2.13 upgrade.

So go ahead and install 2.13 (with multi skin if your computer will run it) and enjoy!

Cheers
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

BOBC
Airman First Class

Post by BOBC »

Hi,
Not sure I saw an option to select Multiskin or not, and my notes, and I do write down all that goes with an install etc, dont mention such.

Is there a way to tell if I have installed it.

This was fresh install of BoB WoV ll then 2.13, never been installed before to this pc.

I do like to run skins from other users as well as create my own, so multiskin is essential in enabling me to use these it seems.

I could do with a crash course in how to sue them and use of multiskin, wherever such can be found.

Cheers

BOBC

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hi BOBC

In the BOB General Discussions thread there is a topic called Latest Update (2.13) Released. WHen you download the update, the installation manual is included. However, 6 psots into the thread, PV helpfully inserted a link to the installation manual which may help:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=51298

When you install 2.13 you get a dialogue box which asks you to select the components you want to install by checking the relevant boxes. These are: Program Files and Multiskin Files. If you checked both boxes Multiskin would be installed as well as the main update. The installation manual has a screen shot of that dialogue box which might be of use in remembering when you did the install.

Someone who is a bit more technical than me might be able to let you know if there is a way of seeing if Multskin is installed. However in the BOB root file there would be a Multiskin folder which would be an indication as to whether it had been installed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”