violent cockpit shaking

Hene
Airman Basic

violent cockpit shaking

Post by Hene »

it seems that every time i take too much damage and my plane begins to fall, the cockpit starts to shake or spin violently. the problem seems to be only with the 2.09, 2.10 and 2.11 patches ( havent tried the other ones). does anybody know solution for this or do i need to play with the unpatched version?
heres a video of what happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuI_clgFAfU

Buddye
BDG

Re: violent cockpit shaking

Post by Buddye »

Hi Hene, wecome to BOBII and the BOBII forum and community.

Thanks for the video. The video shows that you have lost your left wing. This results in large forces being placed on the A/C resulting in a spin and shaking.

You will also get this effect for other types of damage (rudder, prop, wing loss, elevator loss).

Your install seems to be working good based on the vedio so I would not change it. This damage effect is in all versions of BOBII as it is a rather realistic simulation of the damage/effect. If you are damaged badly take a quick look at the damage, and if you can not control the A/C then quickly bail out.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Hene
Airman Basic

Post by Hene »

thanks for the explanation, but to me it seems strange that the cockpit would shake so violently due to turbulence or stress, mostly because theres almost no shaking when looking from outside and because it just doesnt look real

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Actually, most hard core sim'ers do not use or believe in external view as it is not realistic (pilots can not go outside and look around) but we added it so players can review the A/C and we can debug.

Based on this we did not think the effects would be required in external view but any and all opinions are OK. I do not see much shaking but only moving ground (maybe some shadows) from the A/C spinning from the wing loss.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Hene
Airman Basic

Post by Hene »

okay. just seemed a little bit weird because i hadnt seen that kind of movement on any other sim

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:) Hi ,as Buddye says it is part of the damage modelling.I guess it is as near as to having your bashed in from side to side violently by the g forces as you can get.
In BoB 2 it is very difficult to control a damaged plane and the easiest way if you're unsure of making it is to bail out,safe and sure [sometimes------,as parachute failure is also modelled with appropriate screams].
All the best and keep those nasty guns away from you. :)

Hene
Airman Basic

Post by Hene »

today i was flying a random advantage dogfight with a bf 109 when the view started moving violently. all the controls stopped working and i couldnt change to external view to see if i had lost one of my wings or some other surface. only thing i was able to do was to bail out. i had taken some damage earlier so i tought that could be the reason and started another flight. some time into that i was turning towards a spitfire when the same thing happened, but this time i hadn't taken any damage and i wasn't turning very hard. don't think that's supposed to happen

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

The only damage that I can remember that prevents you from going to external view is rudder damage but I thought you could not bail out.

Did you try the replay to see what happened?
Buddye

Hene
Airman Basic

Post by Hene »

hadnt recorded the flight so i couldnt watch the replay, but i hope it was just flak or a too tight turn

bw_wolverine
Airman

Post by bw_wolverine »

It's too bad the video was taken down, I'm interested if I'm having the same issue.

Same situation before it occurs (massive damage to airframe).

The cockpit doesn't so much 'shake' as my view of everything goes absolutely haywire unless I switch to external view (can't look around, ground flickers and flashes back and forth RAPIDLY as if view is seizuring and I can't turn my head) Could it be because I'm using TrackIR? (just thought of that).

I'll do some tests and report back.

*test*

With TrackIR off, I still get the crazy flickery view. Also, can't attempt to control the plane at all, though I think that's normal for this game if you lose part of your wing or whatever.

smithcorp
Airman

Post by smithcorp »

Glad I found this thread - I had this happen several times while playing the Instant Action Interception mission for frontal attack on a bomber formation. I took bad damage and then the cockpit view went completely haywire - spinning, fractured view, like my TrackIR or graphics card had gone haywire. External views were okay, but generally I was unable to control the a/c.

If it is a deliberate effect (ie to simulate being buffeted by an out of control, shaking aircraft) it is remarkably disorienting.

I'll try to capture some footage of it and post to Youtube.

smith

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

In the bdg text file, do you have this set to OFF? If not, try it OFF.

No_Spinning_Death=OFF #This is the switch for the death effect OFF = spinning death (Rowan) or ON = red your dead death effect

smithcorp
Airman

Post by smithcorp »

stickman wrote:In the bdg text file, do you have this set to OFF? If not, try it OFF.

No_Spinning_Death=OFF #This is the switch for the death effect OFF = spinning death (Rowan) or ON = red your dead death effect
Hi stickman - yes i have that set to off. I get the red effect on death, and also the shaking beforehand.

So for example, after a run through a bomber formation where i get comprehensively shot up and fall out of control, the shaking effect starts and might stay that way all the way to the ground, or it might smooth out after moving the viewpoint outside and then back into the cockpit.

I'll try to record a video of it tonight.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

If you cannot bail out, then it means you are dead. Might as well ALT-X out of game then.
This issue has been raised many times. There is no way that I know how to change it.
I thought the "red death" display was supposed to replace it.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

It is my opinion (but I can not find the code as yet), that you can be disabled or passing out and not dead as yet. The forces on the pilot can also be so great that he can not bail out as he is close to passing out from too many G's.

When you are disabled or past out you can not bail out.
Buddye

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”