violent cockpit shaking

Bader
BDG

Re: violent cockpit shaking

Post by Bader »

smithcorp wrote:Glad I found this thread - I had this happen several times while playing the Instant Action Interception mission for frontal attack on a bomber formation. I took bad damage and then the cockpit view went completely haywire - spinning, fractured view, like my TrackIR or graphics card had gone haywire. External views were okay, but generally I was unable to control the a/c.

If it is a deliberate effect (ie to simulate being buffeted by an out of control, shaking aircraft) it is remarkably disorienting.

I'll try to capture some footage of it and post to Youtube.

smith

I am not quite sure what you saw but it may be a deliberate effect.

It simulates total loss of control.

A quote I recall about (early) Typhoons that lost their tail sections and that the pilots would be unconscious from buffeting before hitting the ground. A small mercy, one could argue.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

smithcorp
Airman

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks Bader - I haven't been able to record it yet on fraps, but I hope to soon. Last time I experienced it, I was able to eject from external view.

smith

nats
Airman

Post by nats »

I am very glad I found this thread as well because I am suffering exactly the same thing - extremely violent shaking of the cockpit when I have been damaged. When I check the outsaide view there is no such shaking. Also this isnt elevator or whetever damage because my elevators arent damged in teh externla view in the fww times I have witnessed this (I have only been playing the game for two days - just trying the new patch).

Now I remember having a shaking cockpiut with the other patches to simulate damage but this is not the same at all. This looks like a serious bug. I mean its not that the plane is shaking its juddering all over the place like mad - far too much to be an intended simulated effect! Thre is no way it is relealistically protraying damage thats for sure. and it also has happened every time I have been irrepairably damaged but the strange thing is Ive yet to see any evidence of damage in the external view.

I have posted this issue in my other post on here as well, when it happens next I will try to take a screen picture and put it on here to show you how bad it actually is athouhg a video would be better to get across how mad it actually is - I mean its not that the cockpit is shaking or spinning out of control - the view is moving extremely violently and randomy and the ground graphics and cockpit graphics are all messed up whilst it happens - its definitely seems to be a bug to me.

And by the way about external view Jesus DO NOT REMOVE THAT for any reason! Yes we ALL play using the external view! - it is certainly extremely important to me when I am playing the game. I cant imagine playing it without being able to see my plane from the outside on occasion, but then I certainly am not a 'hard core' simmer (whatever one of those is) - I play sims to enjoy myself. I you are speaking to someone who did very much enjoy Falcon 4 and played that game to to death - but still wouldnt call myself a hard core simmer.
"Its life Jim but not as we know it"

AMD Phenom II X6 2.8mhz cpu + Coolermaster fan
12Gb DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD4850 512mb graphics
MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick

BOB settings on high, 1280 res, 16xAnisotropic - very smooth gameplay

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

We have three types of violent shaking of the cockpit. I do not consider a spin as shaking.

1. Heavy buffeting which is common.

2. Head Bobbing which is a GUI option.

2. Rudder damage, where the cockpit shakes violently. The player can really do nothing (not ever bail out as he is frozen in the cockpit) and the player can not even look in external view. It has always been this way as it was/is a Rowan implementation back in 1998. It is very rare and I have personally had it only a few times with all the testing and playing I have done over the last 8 years of BOBII coding.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

nats
Airman

Post by nats »

Buddye wrote:We have three types of violent shaking of the cockpit. I do not consider a spin as shaking.

1. Heavy buffeting which is common.

2. Head Bobbing which is a GUI option.

2. Rudder damage, where the cockpit shakes violently. The player can really do nothing (not ever bail out as he is frozen in the cockpit) and the player can not even look in external view. It has always been this way as it was/is a Rowan implementation back in 1998. It is very rare and I have personally had it only a few times with all the testing and playing I have done over the last 8 years of BOBII coding.
In the violent shaking I am talking about, on all the 3 occasions I have experienced it (so far) I could go to external view and jump from the plane. So it doesnt seem to therefore be either of the three types you are referring to (I am aware of the normal buffeting and head bobbing - this is different). I probably havent had the rudder damage cockpit shaking that you are referring to as yet. It seems strange that all all the occasions that this happened I was irrepairably damaged by enemy fire and that immediately commenced the violent jittering I am referring to. And that each time I went into the external view the plane seemed very smooth - just diving down towards the ground as usual when you were shot in the last patches. But then I go back into the cokpit again and the jittering is still there when I cant see a thing and it looks like a lot of graphic tearing is also going on as well. But I will try to get a screenshot of it to explain better.

12Gb DDR3 RAM

tipsypo
Senior Airman

Post by tipsypo »

And by the way about external view Jesus DO NOT REMOVE THAT for any reason! Yes we ALL play using the external view!
No we do not. Only ever used when I've paused game and want to screenshot or checking out changes I'm making to game.
I was irrepairably damaged by enemy fire and that immediately commenced the violent jittering I am referring to. And that each time I went into the external view the plane seemed very smooth - just diving down towards the ground as usual when you were shot in the last patches. But then I go back into the cokpit again and the jittering is still there when I cant see a thing and it looks like a lot of graphic tearing is also going on as well.
That sure does describe the "massive rudder damage" that I've always experienced. Not in my experience rare though. I could usually bail-out or switch between external/internal too.
In the RAF they say an landing's ok, when the pilot gets out and can still walk away.
But in the FAA the prospect is grim, when the landings piss-poor and the pilot can't swim.
Cracking show, I'm Alive, But I've still got to render my A25!

nats
Airman

Post by nats »

tipsypo wrote: That sure does describe the "massive rudder damage" that I've always experienced. Not in my experience rare though. I could usually bail-out or switch between external/internal too.
Ive only had one more 'weird cockpit shaking event' since I have played about 20 missions so its not that common, but I have always been able to bale out. I tried to take a screenshot but it just came up with bits of cockpit metal or whatever the cockpit was shaking so much. It probably is rudder damage but it sure looks a bit strange. I wouldn't say it looks very realistic but there again Ive never been in a plane with rudder damage so I wouldn't know. I cant imagine any control damage would result in those kinds of oscillations, it does look more like bugged tearing graphics than anything else but I suppose that is what happens when you try to move the screen too fast for the graphics card to redraw properly which is what I think is happening. I could see it being a great way to bugger up your card permanently if you left it on too long.

12Gb DDR3 RAM

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”