Software Protection Error

new reply
tCC_JudgeDredd
Airman

Software Protection Error

Post by tCC_JudgeDredd »

"Please insert original disk in drive"

Get this message? I did.

I installed the game and, a fair few times, fired it up to play...each time successfully (apart from CTDs on occasion)

I put the disk in last night and got this error message - I was gobsmacked. It did autostart - and hence went to the installation menu - but you could start the game by double clicking on the BoB2 icon.

It turns out it's because I put it in my MSI DVD +/-R +/-RW drive. So it will let you install the game using the MSI DVD +/-R +/-RW drive...but it will not let you play from it.

When I put it in my normal MSI DVD Rom, I was able to boot the game up.
AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard (nForce4-4x)
Gigabyte PCI-E 512MB Geforce 7950GTX
2GB Corsair RAM
Creative Labs Soudblaster Live! 24bit
MSI - DVD +/-R +/-RW
MSI DVD Rom
200GB Seagate SATA HD
120GB Seagate IDE HD

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Bad news, but thanks for telling us. So the protection is choosy about the drive :(.

BlodhemnUK
Airman

Post by BlodhemnUK »

I had that same problem when i tried to test the game on my wifes PC. Installed, but upon trying to run it, it asked for correct cd. Wierd.

B16Enk
Airman First Class

Post by B16Enk »

Osram wrote:Bad news, but thanks for telling us. So the protection is choosy about the drive :(.
Apparently so, and it's down to 'Laserlock'.

First thing to try is to see if a firmware update for your drive is available and fixes it.
In my case (an HP640C drive) there was an update but no change.
Can take countless attempts to get it started :x

madbadvlad
Senior Airman

Post by madbadvlad »

Is this problem limited to DVD-RW drives I wonder? I have been trying to help a guy on the GMX forums with the same issue and he has a DVD-RW. When I asked him to install it on a CD drive on his other PC it installs fine. Just wondering if a trend is developing here......

B16Enk
Airman First Class

Post by B16Enk »

madbadvlad wrote:Is this problem limited to DVD-RW drives I wonder?.
Could also affect some CD writers too I think.

Laserlock, like starforce etc. is not universally compatible.
Laserlock themselves state on their site in the product brief that it isn't 100%.

Makes me wonder why the US version isn't protected yet the European is, apart from GMX making sure they get their ROI of course.

IL2:FB and later had similar isssues that finally culminated in Ubi releasing the rts.dll that many were using as a 'no cd crack'.
But by then of course they had sold the number of units they needed to.

I'm tolerating the hit 'n miss starting of WoV for now, and starting to enjoy it now I have 1600 x 1200 @75Hz working with full weather and textures at max. So far no crashing any more [croses fingers which makes 'flying' a little awkward].

madbadvlad
Senior Airman

Post by madbadvlad »

At that res. and with max settings I find it hard to believe you are never going to see another CTD. I found that upping the res. generally produced CTDs at a greater frequency. If it truly is playable on your rig at those settings with no CTDs at all then it is important that shockwave support have full details of the system used and relevant dxdiag and bdg text files so that they can compare with systems that do get the errors.

tCC_JudgeDredd
Airman

Post by tCC_JudgeDredd »

I don't know. All I know is at lower res (no matter what the game) it is unoplayable due to text distortion.

Also, I have a flat screen monitor which cannot be run at a higher frequency...it needs to run at 60hZ...nor will my flat screen allow (without distortion) a lower resolution.

To be honest, I really didn't expect to pay £29.99 in order to BETA test this game. ( I know that was a dig, and I'm sorry - but being as I paid to run a game on my PC...that's kind of the least I expected)

I'm sorry (why?) but that's how I feel. I paid £29.99 to enjoy a game and, at the moment, I can't.
AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard (nForce4-4x)
Gigabyte PCI-E 512MB Geforce 7950GTX
2GB Corsair RAM
Creative Labs Soudblaster Live! 24bit
MSI - DVD +/-R +/-RW
MSI DVD Rom
200GB Seagate SATA HD
120GB Seagate IDE HD

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

TCC,

Unfortunately, we (Shockwave) can't help on this issue since this appears to be a hardware issue with the LaserLock copy protection. I wish I could help you on this, but GMX is the only source with the power to do anything about it.

If you have any problems getting it resolved, email us at [email protected] and we'll see what we can do for you. I'm not just blowing smoke - we'll make phone calls and do what we can to get this resolved.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

madbadvlad
Senior Airman

Post by madbadvlad »

JudgeDredd - use the NoCd - this is fixing the DVD-RW issues and copy protection error for everyone that had that problem so far. I PM'd you :wink:

Oli
Senior Airman

Post by Oli »

I'm interested in that nocd file...

could you PM me too ?

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”