Latest News

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Latest News

Post by Scott - A2A »

We will use this thread to post any developments as they happen.

First, we now have a computer at Trisynergy that is experiencing slow framerates with a high-end ATI card. We are using the INTERCEPT BEHIND ENEMY BOMBERS as a test.

With all settings set to DEFAULT (Weather MED), this system is getting 10fps at start and drops to 6fps when giong through the bomber formation. Here in front of me I have two PIV 2.4 systems, one with an ATI x600 and the other with a GF6600GT. On both systems this same mission starts at 20fps and stays in the high teens all the way through the entire formation. So we are seeing twice the performance over here than this other system that should be performing the same. This means we have a likely candidate that is experiencing the same problem others are reporting, which is very good for us getting to the root of the issue.

However, we are not reproducing the crash to desktop issues in game that some have been experiencing. So right now, if anyone is experiencing a crash in game, please let us know when that is happening. You can email to [email protected].

We are also waiting for GMX's CD to be sent here so we can test on the version out in the UK. There could be something with the copy protection as far as we know, since we cannot reproduce the crashes so far. We are running the same version over here that is on that CD, but obviously not copy protected since we don't have the CD.

Scott.
Last edited by Scott - A2A on 10 Sep 2005, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Latest findings:

There seems to be a correlation between desktop applications / settings and BOB2's engine. We had a guy email us who said, "the game was crashing every 5 min, I uninstalled my Seagate firewall and all is well." Another had a similar issue but crashes went away after quitting Windows Messenger (which is reported to grab the video card resources from time to time and conflict with other 3D applications). A few others reported that the game runs stable when the desktop resolution is the same as the game’s resolution. This to me all points to the belief that BOB2 does not like it when other running applications access 3D resources. Copy protection could also play a factor and we are looking into that as well.

We are not experiencing any in-game crashes over here, so something else is at play and we’re closing on it. We have some good people looking into this and we are hopeful to not only fix the issue but to take the game further where we can.

The other issue is slow performance on some machines. We now have a machine that is experiencing slow performance so we have a system to test this with. Having a machine here with the problem is paramount in solving this issue.

Something to try for those with crash issues, try running BOB2 in WINDOWED MODE. Open the bdg.txt and set WINDOWED MODE = ON. It isn’t that much fun playing like this but if it does solve crash issues for those who are experiencing them, that information can also help us better find the cause of this.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”