Odd flybys

new reply
choxaway
Senior Airman

Odd flybys

Post by choxaway »

The flyby in this game is a bit of an oddity. In most others, the camera's set at a fixed point and it pans round as the plane flies past with the appropriate engine sound playing, but in BOB2 the camera seems somewhat roving and it sort of follows the plane at the beginning, pauses as the main flyby starts and then rapidly catches up with the plane and settles on an exterior following view. Really strange. I would have thought a fixed panning shot would have been much simpler and far more effective, leaving the pilot to decide when to switch to an exterior trailing view if required.

While I'm on the subject, I also note the flyby sound (wonderful though it is) plays at the same time as the normal exterior fixed engine sound, which I don't understand. since we're now listening to two separate soundtracks at the same time. The external engine sound should be switched off while the flyby sound plays and then fade in as the flyby sound ceases and the camera zooms in to the external following view.
I've also noticed the flyby sound doesn't always kick in when the plane starts its flyby and sometimes only becomes audible when the plane's virtually gone way past the camera (particularly so on the 109). Occasionally it starts after the plane's already flown past.

I realise this will seem trivial to some, considering all the problems with which the game's temporarily afflicted, but I have a bit of a thing about flybys. The superb sounds of this game are one of its great features and it's a shame not to witness the proper flyby effect synchronised with its sound recording. The merlin sound and the image of a spit or hurri soaring past always brings a lump to my throat and I'd hoped to relive this in the game.

Seems like I'm having a rant but I'm really not; just a little disappointed with this minor (to some) lack of attention to detail in the programing stage.
The IL2 flybys are extremely well done but with poor engine sounds - the BoB2 flybys are the complete opposite. Would be nice if this could be amended at some stage in the future once the more significant glitches are ironed out.

Wehner
Senior Airman

Post by Wehner »

bump
Nobody criticized the pilot for making that slow roll. American fighter pilots are supposed to have enough steam in their breeches to try something out of the book once in a while. The fact that he didn't make it was his own business.

choxaway
Senior Airman

Post by choxaway »

Any thoughts from the development team?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Every simulation has its strenghts and weaknesses, and a good flyby is not one of BOB2's strengths. I too love flyby's, but from someone playing the game for a very long time, I don't miss them as much as I once did. It has more to do with the way the game manages sound than anything else. While anything is possible in the future, I don't see us being able to improve the fly by's in this game w/o a good deal of work, and like all things, there are other areas that we feel are more deserving of that time. Right now, for example, these CTD's quite a few people are experiencing.

I wish I had a better answer for you on this one.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

choxaway
Senior Airman

Post by choxaway »

Please do continue attending to the important issues as most of us are right behind you and offering ecouragement. We want this sim to be as good as possible.

Back in the Rown development stage, maybe what started out as a good idea by someone suggesting changing from flyby to chase mode in a subtle blend of motion, proved much more complex to achieve than the traditional fixed camera position. It's just a shame someone didn't tell them to leave it alone and stick with the simpler option.
Knowing absolutely diddly about the technicalities involved I simply wondered if it would be major surgery to alter things to a traditional flyby or at least stabilise the version we have. If not, well such is life . . .

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”