Was the right version published

new reply
marklaur
Staff Sergeant

Was the right version published

Post by marklaur »

Odd question maybe, but still valid. I ask because I used to work for a company that developed firmware and they once sent the wrong version into be added to the hardware. One of the developers after all the testing just added in a few extras that he had complete confidence in and thought needed no testing.

With the past reputation of the developers being so good, is this a possibility? This is not meant to be a criticism, but possibly an explanation of why some of the problems were not picked up. Especially if the disks for different regions are being producted in different locations.

Just a thought.

Cheers MarkL

Ragnar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ragnar »

BRRR! Chilling thought!
How many hours do you have in Spits Simon?...10 1/2 sir!....Well you better make it 11 before jerry has you for breakfast!!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

There are a lot of variables here, but it doesn' t help that we do not have the copy protected GMX version to test. There are all sorts of possibilities that can be causing this and we're going through each one, one by one.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

marklaur
Staff Sergeant

Post by marklaur »

I have total confidence that the issues will be solved. I just hope GMX have not let you down.

I have followed the old unofficial patches for a long while so I know the people involved can solve the issues and have a good prooven track record, and past Shockwave products have been rock solid. So we have no reason to believe this will any different now.

I suppose it must be hard for the developers to cop all the flack with an initial release. But I can see you all must be on deck for long hours every day trying to answer as many posts as you can. Not many developers would even do that. Microsoft would not even admit to any problems with CFS3 at first.

Keep up the good work, I am sure it will all be sorted out very soon.

Cheers markL

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

Queries like this are best handled in email or perhaps a PM.
But asking it in the forum is baiting to say the least.

"From Spring Chicken to Shite Hawk in one easy lesson...taka taka taka taka..."

marklaur
Staff Sergeant

Post by marklaur »

It is not meant to be baiting. Sorry if it comes accross that way.

burgers22
Airman First Class

Post by burgers22 »

Hi

This was a question I had asked myself. I have never used Shockwaves software but know of their reputaion. I had used the BDG patches & these have always been of very good quaility. It is a bit odd that so many of us are experianceing repeatable CTDs (myself inculded) & these wern't found by the beta testers, so a release of an old variant is a real possibility. I've done it myself when distributing applications.

The posters tone was obviously not in a trolling tone.

MB

Sneaky
Airman Basic

Post by Sneaky »

I have only an academic knowledge of software development, but I was taught that a Project Manager keeps very strict control on versions and variants of software - (they ARE different), and I think I am right in saying that in theory software in development is efftively 'signed out' and 'signed in' from a 'vault' so that no confusion arises over integration of different builds.

S!

WhiskeyBravo
Senior Airman

Post by WhiskeyBravo »

Quite right Sneaky, but version control has to be enforced and sometimes its easy for things to slip without people realising. The bigger the project the most robust the version control needs to be.

WB.
A64X2 4600
Asus A8NE
2GB Corsair PC3200
XFX GF7800 GTX 256MB
Audigy2 ZS
TrackIR Pro3 VE
MS FF2, X45, CH Pro Pedals
WinXp SP2+

madbadvlad
Senior Airman

Post by madbadvlad »

Presumably we will know if this happened when the Shockwave release hits the US and Canada. If they have significantly less technical issues with the game I think a GMX version mess up might be more likely.

the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Post by the Dutchman »

There are a lot of variables here, but it doesn' t help that we do not have the copy protected GMX version to test. There are all sorts of possibilities that can be causing this and we're going through each one, one by one.

Scott.

Seafireliv
BDG

Post by Seafireliv »

lucky you.

"Let him who desires peace, prepare for war"

quoted by some veggy guy.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”