New programmer on board to assist with this issue

new reply
Scott - A2A
A2A General

New programmer on board to assist with this issue

Post by Scott - A2A »

We just added a new full-time coder on to the team to assist on the CTD's some are experiencing and the FPS slowdown. The good news here is Wolfram is reproducing very slow performance on one of his systems. Any time a bug or problem happens on a coder's machine is a good thing in terms of finding the issue.

On a good note, our mid-ranged machine over here (PIV2.4, GF6600) is getting between 17-20fps when flying though bombers with all options on full. So it seems we may have some sort of driver issue happening. There are times when new video drivers cause issues with exising games and we are looking into everything at this point.

This is the toughest work of game development (making a game run well on the wide assortment of hardware out there) but be assured this is the highest priority for us and we will be here doing everything we can to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible and get the fix up.

Thank you,
Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

madbadvlad
Senior Airman

Post by madbadvlad »

Thanks for keeping us up to date, really appreciate it. Let us know if there is anything we can test, or other logs that we can send in. MBV

RichardIII
Staff Sergeant

Post by RichardIII »

Absolutely typical of Shockwave. First rate support.
Great stuff, Scott. Appreciate the service.

Rich 8)
I've got 40 109's cornered over Berlin!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Scott as a note i am experiencing slow down BUT not as much as others say they are. Mine is fully playable and i am using some older drivers for my card due to the issues that arise with il-2 etc when using new drivers.

mine are old 71.25 these seem to work ok the odd CTD in bob2 and no transparancy issues in il-2, But some issues if using newer games such as Battlefield2 and dynamic lighting and other 'new' graphics features that the new drivers are better able to support.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Azi66
Airman

Post by Azi66 »

First post here, and i'd like to say thanks for keeping us in the loop.

So many developers refuse to acknowledge a problem in their product but that's obviously not the case here.

I've not experienced a CTD yet but my frames are poor so here's wishing you all the best with a speedy fix.

WhiskeyBravo
Senior Airman

Post by WhiskeyBravo »

Well done Shockwave, its good to hear you're on the case.

As a benchmark for the rest of us could you post up some system specs of the devs with the resultant performance they get with different setup options?

I'm sure my system should be able to cope with maxed settings, but it just ain't happening.

Cheers,

WB.
A64X2 4600
Asus A8NE
2GB Corsair PC3200
XFX GF7800 GTX 256MB
Audigy2 ZS
TrackIR Pro3 VE
MS FF2, X45, CH Pro Pedals
WinXp SP2+

JamesB
BDG

Post by JamesB »

Azi, please post your specs.

We will not gloss over the problems, we will work to fix them. Software dev is very difficult, the endless combinations of hardware are a real issue. Many of us spent years on Rowan's original BoB and I think our dedication is apparent to the sim community. Please bear with us, it is the same in this case.

Azi66
Airman

Post by Azi66 »

JamesB wrote:Azi, please post your specs.

We will not gloss over the problems, we will work to fix them. Software dev is very difficult, the endless combinations of hardware are a real issue. Many of us spent years on Rowan's original BoB and I think our dedication is apparent to the sim community. Please bear with us, it is the same in this case.
I've no doubt you'll get there, i too have been with BOB since the Rowan release when it was a really buggy so and so!

Edit: Arggh, i've just had my first "English Text" CTD :( ..oh well i was starting to feel left out!

Specs are as follows:

XP Pro SP2 on:

AMD Barton 2800.
Asus A7VB8X MoBo.
1 GB 3200 DDR memory.
SB Audigy 2, latest driver revision.
Nvidia 6800GT 256MB, 77.72 driver set.
2 x Seagate 100GB HDDs.
DX 9.0c

Fixed page file of 1536MB.

System defraged before installation and all non-essential apps, except Sygate firewall, shut down via EnditAll 2.

Mowgali
Airman

Post by Mowgali »

James, is it possiable to let us know what Radeon drivers were used in the Beta testing, at the moment I'm using the 5.8's and have very low frame rates.

P IV 3.0
1024mb pc3200
Radeon 9800 pro 5.8's
Fortissimo III latest drivers

marklaur
Staff Sergeant

Post by marklaur »

With video drivers and new games I have a new 6800 card and I have found the Omega drivers installed for the stable option not speed seem to be very good. They are not up to the latest Nvidia version yet. but also there are a lot of problems with the latest Nvidia drivers.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Is the new coder Buddye1 ?
Last edited by stickman on 31 Aug 2005, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Seafireliv
BDG

Post by Seafireliv »

Good news.

"Let him who desires peace, prepare for war"

quoted by some veggy guy.

johnny1066
Airman Basic

Post by johnny1066 »

Thanks Scott, I hope you and the team don't feel disheartened. Many of us appreciate the work that goes into these products.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”