FFB

new reply
Mowgali
Airman

FFB

Post by Mowgali »

I use an old Wingman 3D FFB joystick as some rudder pedals. In other sims this gives me FFB to my feet, I know it's odd but it gives me great stall que's. However while I've enabled FFB and the sim detects the joystick as my rudder pedals I get no FFB from them. Any suggestions ? My main controller is a Cougar. Just a thought maybe if I set my primary controller as te wingman and then customise the other imputs to my Cougar, maybe that will work ?

Mowgali

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

I'm using a MS Sidewinder FF2 stick and the FF is very poor - the stick doesn't centre and feels very 'flabby' making control difficult.

Baza

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Baza,

Can't you set your stick to center with your joystick utilities? BOB2 should give outstanding FF. Try staring a mission up high and dive. You should start to feel resistance with the increased flow of air over your control surfaces.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

Scott,

I hadn't noticed before but the stick wasn't centering at all (it's age, you know), even when I tried the utility. I unplgged and re-plugged the usb and the stick centered again. However, when I entered BoB2 the centering force remained until the initial loading screen (the water scene) is on for about 10-20 seconds, when it disappears and the stick goes floppy. I quit the program and the stick remained floppy until I un/re-plugged it. I tried this several times with different quick missions, with the same result. Un/re-plugging the stick whilst still in BoB2 restores the force but returns control to the keyboard.

I still get gunfire, buffetting, etc forces when I lose the centering force.

Baza

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

There isn't supposed to be a centering force in bob. In a real WWII aircraft, you move the stick and it just stays where you put it. On final, some pilots describe the stick as being a "wet noodle." You need speed and wind over the control forces to build up resistance to control movements. BOB2 is amazing at this, and what is especially great is the buffeting effect and how it gradually comes in and lets you feel how the aircraft is behaving.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

Scott,

Take your point about no centering force but even when I take the Spitfire up to 16,000 ft and go into a powerdive, IAS over 450 mph, the stick still feels like a 'wet noodle' and pulling out of the dive is as easy as if I was flying at much lower speeds - in fact, speed doesn't have any effect on the control surfaces aspect, although buffetting effects do occur. After a crash it appears the FF disappears completely; going back into free-fligh and repeating the same manouver, the plane buffets on screen but the stick stays slack.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Baza

pmsmith
Senior Airman

Post by pmsmith »

Baza, I'm experiencing the same thing - no resistance proportional to speed. Stall buffet and gun fire forces are fine. Also an MSFFB2. One thing I miss is not being able to assign low/med/high forces to each effect from the control options menu, as I'd like to tone down the level of the gun effect.

B16Enk
Airman First Class

Post by B16Enk »

Add me to the list, the 'Wet Noodle' squad eh?!

Also frustrating that one cannot just map toe brakes on rudder pedals, but that is way OT so I'll shut up :)

spitfire9
Airman

Post by spitfire9 »

I also use the Ms FFb2 stick and I love the force feedback effects.

I don't have the sim yet but I hope that sloppy stick gets fixed!!

Sounds like they have a lot on their plate right now but some centering force should be felt on the joystick. Even at slow speeds.

I'm a commercial pilot in R/L and have flown many types of aircraft and I can tell you . An aircraft that will allow the ailerons to deflect and not want to return to center , ie joystick centering, is very, very unstable and NOT realistic.
That is why elevator , rudder , and aileron trim are important.

Don't get this confused with being in a banked attitude. Once a certain angle of bank is achieved, the ailerons are again neutral and the stick is centered. If properly trimmed,, the joystick feels/wants to be in that position.

At higher speeds this centering force would be stronger. The airflow will try to keep the ailerons ,elevator centered with the relitive airflow or direction the aircraft is traveling through the air.

Now I'm confusing myself. Even when I was a Flight Instructor ,I had a hard time explaining basic aerodynamics. lol

Anyway,, I think that centering problem with MsFFb should be addressed in this (soon to be ) wonderful sim. I find the same problem in Fs2004.

pmsmith
Senior Airman

Post by pmsmith »

Update - forcefeedback solution - see this post:
http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=1996

A good solution if you've got the IL2 FB force feedback effect file.

Paul Saunders
Airman Basic

Post by Paul Saunders »

pmsmith wrote:Update - forcefeedback solution - see this post:
http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=1996

A good solution if you've got the IL2 FB force feedback effect file.

Yes. It works too. :D

Cheers

Paul

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”