learning new stuff every day

The premier US WWII Fighter
new reply
slicer
Airman

learning new stuff every day

Post by slicer »

This forum is fascinating. There is so much expertise on tap..technical and flying stuff from REAL experts. I never knew about the ident lights on the stbd wing, producing "colours of the day"..and the discussion on manifold pressure was great. Can anyone explain the markings on the top surface port wing of the photorecce F6 Lil Margaret....obviously they are sighting marks for the camera, but how exactly are they used..particularly the oblique ones on the leading edge. I know how difficult it is to put the wing of my sailplane down to take a picture of a turn point and get the target in the centre of the picture...and that's only doing 50-60 kts! Thank God for GPS traces nowadays.

Any recce experten ??

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

I was the one who did the texture, and I'd like to know too! :lol:
I only looked at some WWII photos, a painting, and photos of the restored version that flies today, and just copied what I saw! :oops:

-John

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Found this on the F-6K:

"If you look closely at the lower left corner of the ammo trays, you will see a black + painted on the wing. Three similar + were etched in the left side of the canopy, one above the other (pilots had different seating heights). "

"To photograph an object the pilot would line up a + on the canopy with the + on the wing and then with the target. By pressing a button on the stick the pilot would trip the camera shutter. The oblique camera was mounted in the lower left portion of the fuselage just behind the radiator."

Now you know.

--WH

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Oops. :?

Looks like a second post.

Here is where I found the information on the F-6K.

http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/northam/f-6k.htm

--WH

slicer
Airman

Post by slicer »

Thanks guys,I knew I could rely on you. And thanks for the neat skin. :D

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”