Tail wheel Lock/Un-lock where is it?

The premier US WWII Fighter
new reply
gumpie39
Airman Basic

Tail wheel Lock/Un-lock where is it?

Post by gumpie39 »

Where is the tail wheel lock control located and do we need to be concerned with using it?
The manual refers to locking and unlocking the tail wheel, no mention of where the control is located or how to do it.

Please advise, thanks.
John

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Tail wheel Lock/Un-lock where is it?

Post by Skycat »

Historically it was controlled by the stick. This is directly from the P-51D/K training manual that was issued in 1945:

"The tailwheel is both steerable and full swiveling. It is steerable 6 degrees right or left with the rudder. The tailwheel lock is different from that of most other planes--it is operated by the control stick. When the stick is in neutral position or pulled back, the tailwheel is locked and steerable. When you push the stick full forward, the tailwheel is unlocked and full swiveling."

The training manual issued in 1954--after the aircraft was renomenclatured to F-51 by the Air Force--explains it as such:

"Tail wheel steering features on the airplane are such that with the stick slightly aft of neutral, the tail wheel is locked out of its full-swiveling position and steering thorugh connecting cables is possible up to 6 degrees right or left by use of the rudder pedals. The steering mechanism is released when the stick is pushed forward of the neutral position. The tail wheel cannot be locked after full-swiveling unless the rudder is in the neutral position and the control stick is in the neutral or aft position."
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

gumpie39
Airman Basic

Post by gumpie39 »

Thanks for the info. Seems to me you should have mentioned this in your description where the tail wheel lock is a separate checklist item during warm-ups/takeoffs and it is crucial to control while taxiing - or aren't you supposed to taxi with your aircraft?

By the way, I'm having a really tough time keeping this aircraft on the runway during take-offs. Is there such a thing as too much power too soon during takeoff and would it be more stable using some flaps - or are my sensitivity adjustments out? Just wondering. When I give the P51 power it dances around on the runway like a paper kite in the wind. Many other aircraft I've flown are a lot more stable on the ground. Are you sure you're design isn't exaggerating the torque, etc., just doesn't feel right to me. Another thing, I've noticed is that the plane first starts to turn to the right prior to the torque pulling it left - never had this in another plane before either. Your J3 cub handles better and easier on the ground and only turns left like you'd expect. A little strange, don't you think? The P51 is fine in the air, but sucks on the ground!
John

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I'm just a customer with a bunch of vintage aircraft manuals on my harddrive. :D
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey John,

you will want to use rudder and yes most certainly there is such a thing as too much power too soon, remember your talking about something very light with 2000ph up front, it isnt any C172.

Since the old il-2 days ive learnt that rudder pedals are a must for virtual flying the old warbirds.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”