Question about repainting?

The premier US WWII Fighter
new reply
BananaBob
Airman

Question about repainting?

Post by BananaBob »

Ok, I started to do a repaint, my first legit repaint that is and I ran into a problem, when I was done, I merged all the layers and saved it as extended bitmap 32 bit color, it showed up but was super shiny like a mirror, lol. What do I have to do to the alpha channel to fix this?

Thanks,
Bob :)

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Hi,

In your case invert the color of the alpha channel.
It looks like you have to paint it black for non-reflection.

regards
ROB

BananaBob
Airman

Post by BananaBob »

Thanks Rob, I'll give that a shot! :D

Cheers,
Bob

tommieboy
Airman

Post by tommieboy »

ROB wrote:Hi,

In your case invert the color of the alpha channel.
It looks like you have to paint it black for non-reflection.

regards
ROB
Doesn't a black alpha channel give you a mirrored surface? White is non-reflective? I think I had to create an alpha channel first and then set my different scales of grey for the desired reflection. I think? I saved the textures I created to DTX-3 to save space. Is there a difference in how alpha channels work because of the DTX-3 settings? I use Photoshop and DXTbmp freeware to do my stuff. What programs do you guys use?

The image below uses black alpha channel behind the Cadillac script to give it a mirrored effect. The rest of the exterior is uses a light grey alpha channel. I then saved it all to DTX-3. DTX-3 doesn't look so sharp though. What kind of extended BMP gives you the best quality textures?

Follow-up:....

I just noticed as I was fooling around with Photoshop tonight, that for some reason, the "Exclude Alpha Channel" check box turned itself on. My P-51 looked just like Bob discribed. I went back in and unchecked the box and saved to TGA again, converted the TGA with DXTbmp again and problem solved. Strange! Just something to be aware of.
Tommy Mitomi

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”