Flap extend and retract speed?

The premier US WWII Fighter
new reply
BellCobraIV
Airman

Flap extend and retract speed?

Post by BellCobraIV »

Scott,
Why does it take so long for the flaps to actuate in the P-51? They were Hydraulic on the real airplane and come down fairly quickly. So I don't understand the hesitation. Now understand that this is the only complaint I have so far. I have enjoyed flying both the H and D variants very much so far and the flight modeling is very close to real. The only quirks that I have missed regard the above mentioned flap operation, ( can this be fixed by changing the value in the config file for flap extension?) The other is a "G" meter would be nice for aerobatic manuevers, it would make doing a Cuban eight easier, you could dial in 45 inches at 27 turns and just hold a constant 3.5 "G" load in the loops. I am glad to see the Simmonds boost control quirk that plagued the real H model was not incorporated. In that set up where you shut down the engine the throttle plates would be for the next start. affecting this until the oil pressure rose and allowed the boost control to operate. resulting in some high RPM starts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

At low idle, the low hydraulic pressure is the cause of slow flap deployment.
A2A Simulations Inc.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Scott - Shockwave wrote:At low idle, the low hydraulic pressure is the cause of slow flap deployment.
And this is not realistic; however, the only other options would be to greatly increase the default hydraulic pressure to 3000 psi (this is the pressure FS9 expects to see and anything less than this leads to slow flap actuation at idle speeds), or to set the flaps actuation type to "electric" which are also not realistic! So we are caught between a rock and hard place.

Flaps are not normally used for takeoff, only for landing, so we opted to go for the correct hydraulic pressure rather than crank it up to 3000 psi. To get around this you can alter your aircraft.cfg file to either option indicated above, or you you can simply set the parking brake and get the RPMs up a little to get the hydraulic pressure high enough to deploy the flaps more quickly. They will come down at idle but it takes a long time; set the brake and bring the boost to about 28 inches (don't go higher or you'll nose-over) and you'll have sufficient pressure to operate the flaps normally.

Dan459
Airman First Class

Post by Dan459 »

"The other is a "G" meter would be nice for aerobatic manuevers..."

Those of us who are purists love the fact that the panel is so authentic. I feel any addition not on the real plane would be a mistake.

Dan

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Dan459 wrote:"The other is a "G" meter would be nice for aerobatic manuevers..."

Those of us who are purists love the fact that the panel is so authentic. I feel any addition not on the real plane would be a mistake.

Dan
You don't need a G-meter on the panel, just hit Shift-Z twice and pull up the g-force display.

BellCobraIV
Airman

Post by BellCobraIV »

Thank you, you are right I do not need the "G" meter I was looking for a display even if I did not have the gauge. just wanted to emphasize I am not complaining.

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”