Firepower Mustang

The premier US WWII Fighter
new reply
EMatheson
Airman

Firepower Mustang

Post by EMatheson »

Say I wanted to use the skins from the Firepower Mustang on the FS9 P-51D/H pack P-51D Mustang...
what is the best way to spoof the installer to allow me to install the CFS3 files so that I may convert the paints for the FS9 Mustang?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I would open and compare the texures in both - I believe it is a single tex replacement.
A2A Simulations Inc.

EMatheson
Airman

Post by EMatheson »

ah, yes, that I beleive is true... however, I cannot install the Firepower Mustang without CFS3... how can I fool the installer into thinking I have CFS3?

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

If you're wanting to 'fool the installer' just to get the FirePower (CFS-3) Mustang skins, there really isn't much reason to. The FirePower plane only came with one skin as I recall, the Big Beautiful Doll scheme.

Or do you mean you've found a custom paint you want to use, but it is released only for the FirePower version?
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

EMatheson
Airman

Post by EMatheson »

I'd like to fool the installer...

see, when I bought WWII Fighters, I was annoyed to find that there were liveries pictured on the box and in the manuals that were not included in the package... particularly Big Beautiful Doll on the P-51D and My Gal Sal on the P-47D...
Although I have downloaded scores of repaints for the package and have learned to love it, this initial disappointment has lingered and impaired my ability to fully enjoy the package.

Therefore, when I bought the Aircraft Powerpack, I said to myself, in effect, "Here is my chance to get what I paid for!" So, that is why I need the installer spoofed for the Firepower Mustang... I must get what I paid for.
Total Psychological reason, I know, but we all have those, and this one is important to me.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Hmmm. If you don't have CFS-3 then you're not getting a lot of what you paid for on APP. Namely, you're missing out on the bombers having mannable machine gun stations. Even with the "Heavy Bombers and Jets" side you're not experiencing the bomber models in their full glory IMO. You're also missing out on several fighter planes that are exclusive to FirePower.

I understand your annoyance with the skins. I will comment that I was disappointed that the FirePower Big Beautiful Doll skin has the wrong nose spinner colors. I tried to fix it myself by porting over a texture (from the P-51D/H pack as I recall), and it turned into a project in PhotoShop. That was well over a year ago now so don't quote me on this, but I remember that the textures weren't interchangeable between the two sims. The FS9 models use multiple textures while CFS-3/FirePower models have everything layed out on one texture file. Further complicating this is that on the CFS-3 texture files the parts are replicated in different sizes for varying LODs. FS9 texture files tend to be square in dimensions while CFS-3/FirePower textures are rectangular in dimension. That's just the start of their incompatibilities though because then you have the differing alpha channels. I believe that CFS-3/FirePower even requires a different file extension (.dds) than FS9. I had to chase down several plug-ins and utilities just to do basic editing to the CFS-3 files.

Edit: Discussion of my progress at the time.

So in all seriousness, I'd recommend getting a copy of CFS-3. The FirePower Mustang--a bonus toy, mind you--has a few bugs but it is a lot of fun to fly in CFS-3.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I just reinstalled the P-51D/H pack for FS9. Confirmed: "Big Beautiful Doll" is one of the several included skins.

I also reinstalled the P-47 mega pack for FS9. "My Gal Sal" is one of the several included skins for the razorback variant P-47D.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

EMatheson
Airman

Post by EMatheson »

The crucial difference between the Aircraft Powerpack and the WWII Fighters packages here is that I bought WWII Fighters knowing that with FS2004 I could fully experience every included aircraft. I was disgruntled when not every aircraft advertised on the WWII Fighters packaging turned out to be included. When I bought the Aircraft Powerpack, I did not expect to use every aircraft included for CFS3... I don't have CFS3... but I did expect to be able to use every aircraft included and advertised for FS2004. I was not disappointed with the Aircraft Powerpack because all the advertised liveries and models for FS2004 were present.

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”