Reset flight timer on ADF

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
tttocs
Airman First Class

Reset flight timer on ADF

Post by tttocs »

It appears that the reset button for the timer function on the ADF receiver is not functioning. For aircraft equipped with this kind of feature, I like to set it to zero as I'm pulling onto the runway so it truly records flight time, as opposed to avionics-on time, but I'm unable to do so in the Bo. Has anyone been able to get the reset button to work?

For now, I leave the ADF receiver off until I'm ready to pull onto the runway.

Scott

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Reset flight timer on ADF

Post by AviationAtWar »

Mine works fine.

Raller
Airman First Class

Post by Raller »

tttocs wrote:It appears that the reset button for the timer function on the ADF receiver is not functioning. For aircraft equipped with this kind of feature, I like to set it to zero as I'm pulling onto the runway so it truly records flight time, as opposed to avionics-on time, but I'm unable to do so in the Bo. Has anyone been able to get the reset button to work?

For now, I leave the ADF receiver off until I'm ready to pull onto the runway.

Scott
...same for me!
MSFS2020 Boxed Version (German) | Win 10 Pro | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | RTX 2070 8GB | SSD | T.16000M

tttocs
Airman First Class

Post by tttocs »

BTW, I should have included that I'm running in P3Dv4.3.

Scott

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

And I should add I'm on FSX.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Mine works fine too.
Couldn't find out in your post. Have you changed the display to show elapsed time (ET) instead of flight time (FT)?
I think it's the second button from right.
One time shows avionics or ADF instrument on time, the other can be reset or works like a timer.
Pressing and holding the reset button until the small symbol flashes, than you can dial minutes and seconds and start the timer. I use this to remind me of changing fuel tanks.

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

tttocs
Airman First Class

Post by tttocs »

gulredrel wrote:Mine works fine too.
Couldn't find out in your post. Have you changed the display to show elapsed time (ET) instead of flight time (FT)?
I think it's the second button from right.
One time shows avionics or ADF instrument on time, the other can be reset or works like a timer.
Pressing and holding the reset button until the small symbol flashes, than you can dial minutes and seconds and start the timer. I use this to remind me of changing fuel tanks.

Regards
Jens
On further review... Indeed, it appears to be working properly as "Flight Time" is actually defined as time since the avionics were powered up in the RW unit and cannot be reset short of turning the unit/avionics power off. This seems of dubious use to me, but after going out and digging up some actual manuals, that's the way the device is supposed to operate.

I should have clarified that the timer works fine and is handy for a variety of tasks while in the air, but what I was looking for was a way to also keep actual flight time NOT including time I spend on the ramp and taxiways while powered up. My workaround of leaving the ADF receiver off until I'm ready for takeoff appears to be the only way to accomplish this.

But again - if that's how the actual unit works, that's the way I want it to work.

Scott

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

RW pilot time "commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing", so as long as you don't spend a lot of time sitting around after you turn on the avionics, your time will be very close to what you would record in a logbook.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I'm not aware of such a definition for RW time. You log the time from engine start to stop. If you sit on the ground for an hour holding for release, that is an hour in the log.

Not sure how things work for the purposes of getting paid at various airlines however. :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

tttocs
Airman First Class

Post by tttocs »

Oracle427 wrote:I'm not aware of such a definition for RW time. You log the time from engine start to stop. If you sit on the ground for an hour holding for release, that is an hour in the log.

Not sure how things work for the purposes of getting paid at various airlines however. :)
His verbiage is a direct quote from 14 CFR 1.1 (US), and is correct in the US. Every plane I ever flew (including the one I owned) had a Hobbs meter which is what most of us typically used for logging purposes. Not really "by the book" but close enough and I've never heard of it being questioned.

I never flew with a piece of avionics which included a "flight timer" IRL, so wasn't really thinking of it in terms of logging, but "avionics on" time would be as good an approximation for logging as a Hobbs meter which measure "engine on" time I guess.

Scott

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

This is the first time I've heard that flight time doesn't include the time spent on the ground taxiing to/from runways and otherwise acting as a crewmember of an aircraft in motion.

I've only heard of using the flight timer as a convenient way to help track fuel consumption, timing for legs, etc.

Did a quick google and see there is some debate about it because I could see how the language could possibly be interpreted to mean only the time the aircraft moves and actually leaves the ground. I believe that is inserting extra language into the reg. At many NYC area airports that would interfere with meeting training requirements. I'll ask my FSDO rep the next time I meet with them to see what they have to say.

tttocs
Airman First Class

Post by tttocs »

Oracle427 wrote:This is the first time I've heard that flight time doesn't include the time spent on the ground taxiing to/from runways and otherwise acting as a crewmember of an aircraft in motion.

I've only heard of using the flight timer as a convenient way to help track fuel consumption, timing for legs, etc.

Did a quick google and see there is some debate about it because I could see how the language could possibly be interpreted to mean only the time the aircraft moves and actually leaves the ground. I believe that is inserting extra language into the reg. At many NYC area airports that would interfere with meeting training requirements. I'll ask my FSDO rep the next time I meet with them to see what they have to say.
No, you're correct. For the purposes of your log book it is as stated, the time from when you first move the aircraft, until the time you bring the aircraft to a final stop after landing. That has to include taxi time. Using Hobbs time, as most do - or the aircraft timer in the ADF reciever :D - is obviously not strictly speaking "by the book", but I've never heard of anyone seriously questioning it.

For the sim, however, what I want to use it to track IS actual time in the air, not logbook time. And then additionally, I want to use the timer function to track fuel or legs or... But again, in looking at RW manuals for the device, that's not how it actually works IRL, so this one should probably be put to bed as I posted it in the Tech Support forum thinking it might be a bug. It's clearly not.

Scott

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Ah I see.... There are some more advanced avionics that start counting some the moment airspeed reaches a certain threshold, or when the squat switch has not weight on it or some combination thereof... Not here though.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

When speaking of flight time, it obviously may vary in between jurisdictions. I understand that, for instance, use of Hobbs time is acceptable in Americas whereas it specifically is not in many European jurisdictions. The usual definition goes about that the time starts from the moment the airplane first moves on its own power or by being pushed back for the purpose of taking off, and ends when it comes to the final stop after the flight. Effectively, from off-block to on-block. This is the joint European ruling as well, I think remembering that at least around here, the flight time used to be recorded from the start of the takeoff roll to the end of the landing roll, but could be mistaken.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”