Bonanza autopilot operation

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

My old brain is having a problem totally understanding the autopilot instructions in the manual pages 102 - 105.
They are very detailed and I am wondering if there is anything else, like a video or something, that may be easier to understand.

I hope this makes a little sense. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate them.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Tom

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Bonanza autopilot operation

Post by AKar »

Hi Tom,

My intention is to do a kind of in-depth look into the autopilot's thinking, however, having a load of stuff going on plus had an unexpected illness disabling me for a good week, so I'm not sure atm when I'm able to get into it.

The autopilot in the Bonanza is actually pretty straightforward, is there any specific aspect that causes you some trouble?

-Esa

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

AKar wrote:Hi Tom,

My intention is to do a kind of in-depth look into the autopilot's thinking, however, having a load of stuff going on plus had an unexpected illness disabling me for a good week, so I'm not sure atm when I'm able to get into it.

The autopilot in the Bonanza is actually pretty straightforward, is there any specific aspect that causes you some trouble?

-Esa
Hi Esa,

Thanks for the reply. I think the whole thing was confusing me. But in looking around I found out I can install the Garmin 400 autopilot. I have had that for some time and have installed it. I just printed out the Quick Reference manual and will see how it goes. Age is just catching up with me and I am losing a lot of memory.

Sorry about your illness. Hope it wasn't something serious.

Thanks,

Tom

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Hoping this helps and hoping I don't miss a step. It took me a few rounds to get the hang of the AP but here is how I use it now

1) Press the FD mode. I typically do this on the ground. Doing this initially really doesn't do much more than set a wing level reference and a pitch attitude reference. The AP is not actuating anything

2) After takeoff Press the AP engage button. This commands the AP to execute the condition referenced with the FD mode

3) Adjust rate of climb with the AP trim up/down buttons. This will change the reference of the FD mode. Note: I do not think you can use the yoke mounted trim up/down buttons at this time as I believe they will disengage the AP. Also note that the command is for degrees of pitch and is changed based on the length of time the AP trim up/trim down is held

4) Dial in a cruise altitude and press the ARM button on the altitude panel. With the AP already engaged the plane will climb at the pitch dictated by the FD reference until the desired altitude is met at which point it will level off and the ALT light will light up on the indicator panel. Alternatively, the current altitude can be selected just by pressing the ALT button which will ignore the dialed in value

5) To change altitude. Dial in the new desired altitude. Press the ALT button to disengage the ALT mode. Press ALT ARM by the altitude dial then use the AP trim up/trim down to reach the new altitude. Once this new altitude is reached it will level off and the ALT light will light up on the indicator panel

6) To command a specific heading Press the HDG button and change the heading with the heading bug. This mode activates immediately

7) To track a VOR radial, tune the radio to the desired channel. Dial in the desired tracking radial with the CRS knob. Press the NAV button which will ARM the NAV mode. If previously using the HDG mode, it will still be active and the HDG bug can be used to steer to the intercept course until the plane is within 3 deviation "dots" of the ordered NAV condition. At this point the NAV mode takes over and the VOR radial will be tracked. There may be a few oscillations to be dampened out depending upon how steep the intercept course was. Also if the plane was already within 3 deviation dots then the NAV mode will immediately take over as soon as the NAV button is pressed

8) APPROACH mode is essentially the same as NAV mode accept it involves and ILS or LOC and will direct both heading and altitude

9) To hand fly without disengaging the AP or the modes that have been ordered in the AP, press and hold the yoke mounted CWS button while hand flying and release to return to the AP

Hope this helps and hope I got this right. I believe this is the way I have been using it

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

AKar wrote:Hi Tom,

-Esa
Speedy recovery Esa.

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

Nicely put Brett, thanks!

I use it the same exact way.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Brett,

Excellent write up...

I’ve all (commonly used) functions mapped via the a2a configurator...

A couple things I do a little differently - I set but don’t arm the altitude preselect - before takeoff - as this information is readily available before launch...

I don’t think you have to press altitude before an altitude change as I believe when you press the arm button that happens automatically... Then use the up/down button to set VS...

Regards,
Scott

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

That is exactly right Scott. I typically dial it in before hand as well and will usually ARM it right after takeoff. I was mainly trying to outline how the functions worked with a tinge of real flight progression. Also you are right with regards to the ALT button. If you have a desired altitude dialed in that you want to hit then don't hit the ALT button just use the ARM button next to the dial and the AP will take care of the rest. If you hit the ALT button instead the AP will think that you want your present altitude at the time of the press and ignore the dialed in value.

I have a handful of them programmed into my stick as well. I had initially preferred the AP for the Comanche for its simplicity and more hands-on approach but this one is growing on me a bit as I get more familiar and comfortable with it.

joediamond
Airman First Class

Post by joediamond »

BrettT wrote:That is exactly right Scott. I typically dial it in before hand as well and will usually ARM it right after takeoff. I was mainly trying to outline how the functions worked with a tinge of real flight progression. Also you are right with regards to the ALT button. If you have a desired altitude dialed in that you want to hit then don't hit the ALT button just use the ARM button next to the dial and the AP will take care of the rest. If you hit the ALT button instead the AP will think that you want your present altitude at the time of the press and ignore the dialed in value.

I have a handful of them programmed into my stick as well. I had initially preferred the AP for the Comanche for its simplicity and more hands-on approach but this one is growing on me a bit as I get more familiar and comfortable with it.
I think what Scott was getting at is that pressing the ARM button deactivates the ALT mode if it is currently engaged. If you are changing altitudes you don't need to manually deselect the ALT mode if you are arming another altitude.

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Thanks Joe and Scott! That is absolutely correct. I love learning something new :D

Archive88
Airman First Class

Post by Archive88 »

Can commiserate with those having trouble with the "new" AP compared with the 'old" AP in the Comanche.
Am just getting used to the Bonanza after lots of time with the Comanche.
Have a couple of questions:

The major one is: There is nothing to tell you what the trim pitch is that you are calling when you tweak the pitch selector on the AP box. Too often that ends up way too much when I arm the altitude command and I have to rapidly correct. Is there not a pitch angle or rate of climb indicator that is available?

Second: How do you set the trim pitch selector back to zero before the next flight? I've sometimes tried to take off and found the Bonanza trying to fly vertical! Do you have to set the AP to 'Disengage' before the next flight? Or does shutting down the aircraft (or shutting down FSX) reset the pitch to zero automatically?

Getting there is half the fun, and so is learning new stuff. So, not a complaint, just trying to survive the next exploratory flight in a new rig.
Thanks, -=dcp=-

Archive88
Airman First Class

Post by Archive88 »

BrettT and joediamond:
Please see my latest 13 Jan 19
-=dcp=-

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”