'Check for Updates' cannot find new installation

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Scav
Senior Airman

Re: 'Check for Updates' cannot find new installation

Post by Scav »

Nick - A2A wrote:Okay, thanks - so it's the 32-bit edition of Win 7 where you're seeing the problem? I'll look into this further but unfortunately I don't have access to a 32-bit edition of Windows for testing.

Cheers,
Nick
I happen to have access to one. :)

Anyway, on a lark and in an attempt to be at least somewhat helpful, I fired up regedit to do some recon on the Win7 X86 PC. I am seeing:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\A2A Simulations Inc.\FSXPath (REG_SZ)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\A2A Simulations Inc.\Accu-Sim Bonanza 35 for Flight Simulator X\Path (REG_SZ)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\A2A Simulations Inc.\Accu-Sim Bonanza 35 for Flight Simulator X\Version (REG_SZ).

The FSXPath regkey in the A2A Simulations Inc. folder and the Path regkey in the Bonanza subfolder both point correctly to the file location of the FSX installation. The version regkey indicates 18.9.15.1.

So it looks like the installer is at least writing the information to the registry. The goofy thing is, I know nothing else how A2A has been writing the OTHER installations and I'm not yet finding the other aircrafts I've installed in the registry either. Not sure how the legacy updaters have been finding the other aircrafts in this case, and not sure why the new updater isn't parsing the data from the registry correctly.

Could it be something as goofy as 32bit vs. 64bit here?

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Scav - that's indeed helpful info. I do think this may be a 32-bit Windows thing. However, if that is the case it surprises me a bit that it's taken this long for the issue to surface. Obviously P3Dv4 users will be using a 64-bit OS, but it seems that most FSX users do to.

Bear in mind that the legacy updater doesn't really need to 'find' the aircraft as such because it'll be installed inside the FSX directory. However, for the new updater to support P3Dv4 it was necessary to use a slightly different approach because P3Dv4 add-ons can be installed anywhere on the user's PC. This revised approach is also used by the updater for FSX which may be where the problem is occurring.

Anyway, I'll be in touch again in the not too distant future with something you can try on your 32-bit Win 7 installation. :wink:

Best regards,
Nick

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Nick - A2A wrote:Thanks Scav - that's indeed helpful info. I do think this may be a 32-bit Windows thing. However, if that is the case it surprises me a bit that it's taken this long for the issue to surface. Obviously P3Dv4 users will be using a 64-bit OS, but it seems that most FSX users do to.

Bear in mind that the legacy updater doesn't really need to 'find' the aircraft as such because it'll be installed inside the FSX directory. However, for the new updater to support P3Dv4 it was necessary to use a slightly different approach because P3Dv4 add-ons can be installed anywhere on the user's PC. This revised approach is also used by the updater for FSX which may be where the problem is occurring.

Anyway, I'll be in touch again in the not too distant future with something you can try on your 32-bit Win 7 installation. :wink:

Best regards,
Nick
Awesome! :)

In the meantime, there's an idea I want to run by you guys as well -- I'm thinking there may be a way to manually update the Bonanza installation on the x86 PC using the known good installation as a control. The way I see it, it could be as simple as copying the entire root within the simobjects\airplanes\Bonanza folder over to the x86 PC, copying the aircraft log from the documents\..\ folder as necessary, and manually rewriting the regkey in HKLM\..\..\Version to reflect the current version number for future use. Do you concur, or is there more to that process?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You could indeed do a manual update by transferring files from one PC to the other Scav, though it's bit more complex than just the folder structure you mention.

Anyway, you're currently my only 32-bit OS test case, so it would be great if you could keep things as they are on that system for now. :) I'll send you a PM very soon with a slightly modified version of the latest FSX update for you to try.

Thanks,
Nick

Edit: PM sent.

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

PM received. Do you want to continue this in that medium going forward or keep the chain going here?
Nick - A2A wrote:Anyway, you're currently my only 32-bit OS test case
Odd man out status confirmed. ;)

EDIT: I downloaded and ran as admin the file you sent on the Win7 machine. Behaved just like on the Win10 machine!

Verified through regedit the version regkey now reflects the new version. Looks like the aircraft.cfg was changed regarding atc_type and atc_model from the original as well, which mirrors what I saw on the Win10 machine. It LOOKS like this worked. I'll do a little more poking around on the Win7 machine as well but this is looking VERY good so far.
Last edited by Scav on 12 Oct 2018, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

If the file I sent you the link to doesn't work, please let me know via PM so I can send you an updated link. (I'd prefer not to post these publicly on the forum for obvious reasons.)

Otherwise, please feel free to post here.

Thanks,
Nick

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Nick,

After tooling around with this for the past couple of hours, I think we can call this one solved for now.

Thanks again for your help! :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Scav, that's good to hear. Once I've done some additional testing with 64-bit Windows installations, I'll use this revised FSX updater to replace the existing public one.

All the best,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”