Severe pull to the left after wheels lift off

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
AviatorMan
Airman

Re: Severe pull to the left after wheels lift off

Post by AviatorMan »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
AviatorMan wrote:Applying a bit or right rudder just as you rotate has indeed fixed this problem for me. It is also useful when landing and flaring to make final corrections with the rudder, and less with ailerons. I remember when I was taking real world flying lessons several months ago my instructor frequently reminded me of this. We were flying a PA28, not a V Bonanza, but I think the technique is generally true for many aircraft, and perhaps more so for the V Bonanza and its more sensitive flight characteristics at low speed.
Just a hint here concerning flare.

Try hard, both in the sim and in the real airplane to not think of aileron and rudder as separate when dealing with the flare as in reality even through and including touchdown all THREE controls (aileron, rudder, and elevator) (you are actually using FOUR controls together on the flare as throttle must also be included in the mix) are used together and in perfect harmony to achieve wind correction, runway heading, and sink rate into the stall.
Thinking of the controls separately works only at the beginning of your landing phase in training but good instructors will begin pushing you toward thinking as I have stated above.
I realize you probably already know this. I'm simply mentioning it as a reminder for all.
Dudley Henriques
Yes, you are right. Getting all four in HARMONY was what I was having trouble getting together. By the way, on my flight sim rig I have yoke, throttle quadrant, trim wheel and RUDDER PEDALS, and I think it will be difficult to get this all together if you are just working with a joy stick - the pedals and trim wheel are especially important in my mind.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Severe pull to the left after wheels lift off

Post by DHenriques_ »

AviatorMan wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:
AviatorMan wrote:Applying a bit or right rudder just as you rotate has indeed fixed this problem for me. It is also useful when landing and flaring to make final corrections with the rudder, and less with ailerons. I remember when I was taking real world flying lessons several months ago my instructor frequently reminded me of this. We were flying a PA28, not a V Bonanza, but I think the technique is generally true for many aircraft, and perhaps more so for the V Bonanza and its more sensitive flight characteristics at low speed.
Just a hint here concerning flare.

Try hard, both in the sim and in the real airplane to not think of aileron and rudder as separate when dealing with the flare as in reality even through and including touchdown all THREE controls (aileron, rudder, and elevator) (you are actually using FOUR controls together on the flare as throttle must also be included in the mix) are used together and in perfect harmony to achieve wind correction, runway heading, and sink rate into the stall.
Thinking of the controls separately works only at the beginning of your landing phase in training but good instructors will begin pushing you toward thinking as I have stated above.
I realize you probably already know this. I'm simply mentioning it as a reminder for all.
Dudley Henriques
Yes, you are right. Getting all four in HARMONY was what I was having trouble getting together. By the way, on my flight sim rig I have yoke, throttle quadrant, trim wheel and RUDDER PEDALS, and I think it will be difficult to get this all together if you are just working with a joy stick - the pedals and trim wheel are especially important in my mind.
I have the same setup. I use a Warthog, Virtual-Fly Rudder Pedals, and a Virtual-Fly 4 axis throttle quadrant. I'll be testing the Virtual Fly Yoko shortly.
I don't have any trouble with flare in the sim really. It's more or less involuntary reflex after so many years. I fly the sim the same way I fly the real aircraft.
DH

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”