Problem with Course needle on the KI 525A

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
PaulFWatts
Airman Basic

Post by PaulFWatts »

Firstly, thanks for this excellent aircraft. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've read through the forum and the manual and can't find a resolution to the problem I'm having (if indeed it is a problem).

I'm used to the course needle automatically changing to the required course as the GPS sequences through the waypoints in the flight plan in flight. However on the KI 525A I have to manually set the course. Hopefully I have explained this correctly.

This is occurring on the default GPS and on the F1 GTN 750/650 and I definitely have GPS mode set.

Perhaps this is the way it is supposed to be for this aircraft? No big deal if that is the case.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Watts

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Problem with Course needle on the KI 525A

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Paul and welcome to the A2A forums.

I believe the feature you're describing is an option which can be set in the *.ini file of the Flight 1 and RealityXP GPS products. I don't own the F1 version personally, but have you tried checking this option in their configuration screen? It looks like the F1GTN.ini entry in question may be "Auto CRS=1".

Thanks,
Nick

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

Question for GPS / KI 525A Ops: Which is more common for real world ops: Manual or Automatic course selection?

joediamond
Airman First Class

Post by joediamond »

Les Parson wrote:Question for GPS / KI 525A Ops: Which is more common for real world ops: Manual or Automatic course selection?
Manual. I've never seen a slaved CDI on a KI525. I'm fairly certain it is not an available option.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I've only seen slaved course in glass solutions that utilize ARINC 429 serial data to drive the stuff. There might be such features in very high end electromechanical gauges used in the last generation of pre-EFIS airliners or something, but I don't know much about those. I can't think of any GA level instrument having remotely slaved course selection.

-Esa

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

I am using a real king 525a en my cockpit, which I modded inside to make it work with my electronics.

The way the hardware reads the crs position is a synchro resolver, which rotates when you rotate the knob. But there is no way to drive it. You can only read it. So, at least in my king 525a, there is no chance to drive the CRS needle remotely.

Arturo.

PaulFWatts
Airman Basic

Post by PaulFWatts »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hello Paul and welcome to the A2A forums.

I believe the feature you're describing is an option which can be set in the *.ini file of the Flight 1 and RealityXP GPS products. I don't own the F1 version personally, but have you tried checking this option in their configuration screen? It looks like the F1GTN.ini entry in question may be "Auto CRS=1".

Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the welcome. You were spot on in terms of solving this issue. Setting this fixed the problem.

However based on the other responses here it seems that it is manually set in real life with this equipment. Will now need to decide if I'm going to be lazy and leave this at automatic or do it manually :-)

Thanks again to A2A for another excellent aircraft!

Paul Watts

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Yeah - there are auto slewing CDI’s but that’s not normal for your typical bug smashers... I’ve seen them in Lear’s...

Regard,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

PaulFWatts wrote: Hi Nick,

Thanks for the welcome. You were spot on in terms of solving this issue. Setting this fixed the problem.

However based on the other responses here it seems that it is manually set in real life with this equipment. Will now need to decide if I'm going to be lazy and leave this at automatic or do it manually :-)

Thanks again to A2A for another excellent aircraft!

Paul Watts
Thanks Paul - that's good to hear and it's great to hear that you're enjoying the Bonanza.

Thanks also to the other community members for their input here. Presumably the reason this option is set to be disabled by default by third-party GPS developers is because it's not commonly encountered in real world GTN/GNS installations.

Besides, manually resetting the CDI now and again should keep you from getting bored. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick

PaulFWatts
Airman Basic

Post by PaulFWatts »

Nick - A2A wrote:
PaulFWatts wrote:

Paul Watts
Thanks Paul - that's good to hear and it's great to hear that you're enjoying the Bonanza.

Thanks also to the other community members for their input here. Presumably the reason this option is set to be disabled by default by third-party GPS developers is because it's not commonly encountered in real world GTN/GNS installations.

Besides, manually resetting the CDI now and again should keep you from getting bored. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick
Hi Nick,

The Bonanza is definitely a fun plane to fly.

As they say "Flying can be hours of boredom followed by moments of pure terror :-) "

I survived my first powered on stall in landing configuration in the A2A Bonanza when I let the speed bleed off to fast on approach. It was definitely the few moments of pure terror :-)

Paul Watts

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”