Flap Failure walk around pictures show no fault

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Flap Failure walk around pictures show no fault

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today while flying on joinFS in the BO , i reduced speed to 120mph and lowered the gear and flaps while on approach into YDBY , at low altitude about 1000ft , the aircraft became almost uncontrolable , as if in severe turbulance, because i had track IR5 a quick glance left and right showed right flap full up and left full down , i quickly retracted the flaps , did a goaround and landed without flaps , on inspection in the hangar , it corrctly showed right flap failure a broken link , did a walkaround to see what the photos showed , between left/right flaps , both sets of flap pictures where showing no fault.
regards alan. 8)

FSXA win7/64 op system

lownslo
Airman

Re: Flap Failure walk around pictures show no fault

Post by lownslo »

I had the exact same failure today myself, flying P3Dv4 in Win7 64. I don't have any problems with the handling characteristics of this airplane, but the numerous tripped CB's and now this failure in just 22 hours is starting to make think about the relative safety of walking on busy railroad tracks. :roll:

Greg

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

lownslo wrote:I had the exact same failure today myself, flying P3Dv4 in Win7 64. I don't have any problems with the handling characteristics of this airplane, but the numerous tripped CB's and now this failure in just 22 hours is starting to make think about the relative safety of walking on busy railroad tracks. :roll:

Greg
Regarding the Cb's. Do you have the latest update installed? Since then, I have no issue's with the Cb's popping out every time.

lownslo
Airman

Post by lownslo »

Yeah, I installed 20.0 and then 20.1 soon after each was released. I always do a prefilght, and of course I found nothing on this one. Like Alan, I couldn't find any damage to the flap in a post-flight inspection.

I am curious... every time I go into the Maintenance Hanger it shows my aircraft hasn't been inspected. Is that the way it's supposed to be? Is an Inspection required every visit to the MH to see the true status of the aircraft?

Greg

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Yes, you have to click inspect aircraft.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
A2A do you have a walk around flap picture that shows when you get a broken flap link , as none showed on my aircraft , when i had a right flap failure on approach , the hangar correctly showed it but walk around prior to fixing the flaps did not show anything amiss.
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i looked at the flap walkaround pictures , and i saw something that might explain why , when i had a busted flap link on approach , and the hangar showed the right flap failure , but before i fixed the flaps , i checked the walkaround and it showed no issues , this was strange.
Anyhow on looking at the pictures in the FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Beechcraft_35_Bonanza\panel\A2A_Bonanza35 folder , there seems to be odd numbering between left and right flap pictures that show a busted link the left flap are labeled walkaround_flap_L_131,130,120,119,31,30 , but the right flap are labeled walkaround_flap_R_128,127,120,119,28,27 , could these be wrongly numbered , hence the reason why the walkaround did not show a busted link on the right flap , to match what the hangar showed.
this was in FSXA on a WIN7 64 operating system.
regards alan. 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Alan,

You didn't happen to grab a screenshot during the preflight in question did you? When it was broken in the maintenance hangar but apparently not in the preflight image? It's a long shot I realise, but thought I'd check anyway.

Thanks,
Nick

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Nick.
Sadly no i did not get a screen shot , but the walkaround showed everything as ok , instead of a busted link , see original post at the top , as to what happened .
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
While on a very hard approach into EKVG rwy 31 with winds of 264 20G34 , looked like I had everything under control for a nice touchdown , almost at the point of flare , the aircraft suddenly started acting up , thinking I had been hit by a gust I continued with trying to control the aircraft ,the landing or landings , as the aircraft bounced a bit , but got down in one piece ,. it was while taxiing to stand , I noticed my left flap was at the position 1 instead of fully down , as it was during approach .
When I parked and shut down , I did a walkaround , all showed ok in the pictures , but left flap moved in a way , as to indicate the flap was broken, in the hangar on inspection , the left flap link was shown as busted , screen shots taken of left and right flap walkaround pictures,and a screen shot of the hangar inspection.
All the time the flaps and gear where down , the speed was kept to about 90knts on approach , at time of flap failure , I had started slowing down and flaring , well within the flap/gear speed limits.
Aircraft repaired ready for next flight .
Win 7 64 system FSXA sim , ASN giving the weather, aircraft has 39.1 hours on the airframe.
regards alan. 8) :?:

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Alan this should all be working, as we tested both flaps (breaking them in different ways), but there could be some issue we have not found.

What you need to look for in the flaps is noticeable wear / exposed metal from the rollers in the flap slots.

The flaps can jam or break. If they jam, they don't move. If they break, they will hang. What was this flap showing?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Scott.
Preflight walkaround , everything was normal , both in photos and flap movement, and hangar inspection also showed everything as ok , apart from an under reading fuel flow gauge , the failure occured as i was flaring to land , and the left flap this time , came from full down to about position 1 due to the airflow , right flap still at full down , as i landed and speed bled away , left flap sagged back down to full position , on walk around left flap could be moved by hand from full down to full up , but the photo showed everything as ok , in the hangar on inspection , it correctly showed a busted link on the left flap , i have some screen shots of this afternoons flight ,that i will send to nick after i finish flying tonight.
EDIT:- these flap errors occured prior to the update 29.0 , if you have fixed these errors in that update , then disregard for now , and i will just see what happens if and when i get the next flap issue.
regards alan. 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the screenshots you sent me. I've included them below (cropped versions) for Scott's benefit.

Cheers,
Nick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Alan thanks for that description, definitely a busted left flap actuator and not showing up in the walk around. I will check.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Scott.
After tonights flying around australia , doing several touch an goes , before the final landing , the aircraft started the flying session with just an under reading fuel flow gauge , but on the after flight checks in the hangar , i had a worn right flap , so before repairing , i did a walk around check , yet again , the left and right flaps walkaround photos showed everything to be normal , screen shots taken if you need them , hope this info helps track down the problem.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”