Uncommanded rudder deflection on ground and in flight

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
TripleDelta
Airman Basic

Uncommanded rudder deflection on ground and in flight

Post by TripleDelta »

Hello all,

I have a quick question that I hope FSX-savvy users can help me with: namely, ever since installing the Bonanza, I keep getting uncommanded right rudder input whenever the autopilot is not turned on (occasionally followed by a temporary failure of the view pan function using the joystick's hat switch). I'm not touching the stick, but see the rudder pedals rapidly deflecting all the way to the right stop both when stationary, taxiing and airborne without autopilot (with appropriate aircraft response). When I try and counter the movement with opposite rudder, the pedals never settle and keep wanting to return to the stops. When I turn the AP on however, everything works as it should.

I've tired calibrating the joystick several times, without success. I then plugged it into a different USB port, still nothing. Increased the dead zones, nothing. Reinstalled SimConnect + restart, nothing. Removed FSUIPC + restart, nothing. Reinstalled the aircraft and applied last update, same issue.

I run Acceleration (pretty clean, with few addons) on a fully updated Win 10 with Admin access. I always load a default flight first and then the Bonanza, but it doesn't seem to help. Tried several other aircraft (both default and custom) and did not see the same thing happening.

Has anybody experienced this, or knows where the problem might lie?

Thanks and cheers!

EDIT: forgot to mention that all of my realism sliders are fully right and everything with "auto" on it is turned off.
Last edited by TripleDelta on 22 Sep 2018, 01:35, edited 2 times in total.

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Re: Uncommanded rudder deflection on ground and in flight

Post by MatzeH84 »

Having the same issue on v4 it seems. On AP she flies great, but manually she is swinging back and forth quite extreme sometimes, it seems the lower the speed, the more it swings.
And I'm not taking about a little tail wag.. I know that this exists.

Gesendet von meinem F8331 mit Tapatalk
Kind regards, Matthias

TripleDelta
Airman Basic

Post by TripleDelta »

A further update: since nothing I tried was working, I then tried resetting all controls to their FSX defaults, reinstalling the stick's drivers and playing with dead zones in both; again no success. I've also noticed that every time the rudder pedals deflect to the right, I briefly lose control of all of the sticks axes and buttons except the rudder...

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
What controllers do you have for FSX , I use CH yoke/CH rudder peddles and two CH throttle quads , which i can check my calibrations on without the sim running.
From your last post , it sounds like a possible fault with the rudder controls, the other causes can be a corrupt FSUIPC if all controls go through that , but from your previous post , sounds like you tried that , the other possibility is a conflict of controls somewhere.
If you use saitek controllers , then it could be a dirty or faulty pot or pots in the controllers or a driver issue , or a possible recent update of win system or controller drivers.
regards alan. 8)

TripleDelta
Airman Basic

Post by TripleDelta »

alan CXA651 wrote:What controllers do you have for FSX , I use CH yoke/CH rudder peddles and two CH throttle quads , which i can check my calibrations on without the sim running.
Alan, hi,

For the moment I'm using a Saitek AV8R all-in-one (it's a replacement for a previous faulty set), and had no issues with it until the Bonanza. It has its own driver set, which I used for all my calibration attempts.
alan CXA651 wrote:From your last post , it sounds like a possible fault with the rudder controls, the other causes can be a corrupt FSUIPC if all controls go through that , but from your previous post , sounds like you tried that , the other possibility is a conflict of controls somewhere.
I thought at first it might be a hardware issue, but using Saitek's own drivers and their associated calibration software, I get a steady stick (not to mention a full unopposed range of motion). I'm currently working under the assumption it's a communication issue within FSX or some form of the Bonanza's controls - hence all of my resets and defaults.
alan CXA651 wrote: If you use saitek controllers , then it could be a dirty or faulty pot or pots in the controllers or a driver issue , or a possible recent update of win system or controller drivers.
I updated the stick's drivers as part of my troubleshooting (w/ restarts), but still no improvement. I'm sure its something small & obvious (one of those "doh" issues), but am running out of ideas what to try next...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello TripleDelta - welcome to the A2A forums.

I agree with Alan that it does sound like there's a control conflict of some sort on your system.

A couple of extra question...

You mention software from Saitek, but is this just used to calibrate the hardware, or is it also injecting control inputs directly into the sim? For example, are you able to use the hardware in question in FSX without this software running at all?

Also, you mention a "few addons". Please could you just list any that fall into the category of global utilities? (You already mention disabling FSUIPC, but how about camera add-ons and that sort of thing; basically anything other than scenery that's always running within FSX?)

Your link to the hat switch may be a clue. Something you could try is opening the "Standard.xml" file and searching through it for the text "rudder" to try and locate any potential conflicts. This file is located in the "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls" directory.

Thanks,
Nick

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi TripleDelta.
I found this link for checking and fixing AV8R unwanted Stick Input , don't know if it helps or not.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... R54iUyPdRl
regards Alan. 8)

TripleDelta
Airman Basic

Post by TripleDelta »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi TripleDelta.
I found this link for checking and fixing AV8R unwanted Stick Input , don't know if it helps or not.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... R54iUyPdRl
regards Alan. 8)
Alan, many thanks! Saw that one also when I was Googling, but in my case the rudder indication was all the way to on the right edge with no space to compensate.

However, suggestions by Nick and yourself had led me to check on something else - and it appears you were on right on the ball with your first post. On a hunch, I disassembled the grip and cleaned everything I could with WD40, thinking maybe some dust got in somewhere from underuse since this is my backup stick. Cleaned everything, wiped it down, left to dry - and now it appears that all axes work as advertised with no uncommanded movement (both in FSX and in the Deadzone screen)! What an absolutely lame way to get stuck :oops:

Many thanks to all for your input and time! Cheers!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Glad you are all sorted, happy flying.
regards alan. 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yep, thanks for the update TripleD - good to hear your controller issue is sorted. And, of course, thanks also to Alan. :)

Nick

craftsman
Senior Airman

Post by craftsman »

I am in the forums for the same reason I think. FSX sp2, CH yoke Saitek TPM and CH throttles CH pedals. I did my first flight after buying it yesterday using Orbx weather 16knts at 7000 ele. KFHR to KCLM using the Rwy 8 approach. Reality xp 530 and 430 version 1 working fine. Was using AP most of the way until final. Description of problem: If you took a model airplane and attached a string to the CG then gentle pushed on the tail or nose horizontally it would perfectly sway back and forth and back and forth etc....This is how it flys. When I captured the Glideslope 108.9 and hand flew it did it right down to touchdown. REALLY BAD????? ALL the other A2a aircraft, and I have all of them do NOT do this???????? If anyone reads this as an add-on to the end of this forum and knows the answer that would be great. And yes I do need to test with no wind.

craftsman
Senior Airman

Post by craftsman »

I just found "Syzygy"s post "The bonanza's wandering nose". They talk about the same thing as if its normal. Its NOT like turbulence with a push from starboard and maybe a push from port in no methodical even back and forth. Mine is like a porch swing. Left sway then right sway then left sway then right sway???? It just seems too......symmetrical of an action.

craftsman
Senior Airman

Post by craftsman »

Just did a flight KFHR picked "fair weather" at 4000 ele 8 knts crosswind and the anomaly did NOT happen but it is definitely NOT a Cessna. Found forum " V35 Bonanza excessive tail wag" and "nose swing to the left after rotation". Scott addressed one as, it is the attributes of the aircraft and the other had to do with ASN weather I think. I was using the 6 choice weather Orbx installs perhaps that was the problem I hope. Not that it was unstable but it was to perfect a back and forth movement that it was VERY abnormal. Well at least in the forums their are others noticing a GREAT difference in the sensitivity of this aircraft over traditional Cessna,s and pipers. My uncle had a bonanza back in the 50's and 60's after the war but I never got a ride. He was a prisoner of war in Japan after being shot down and eventually passed away from what it physically did to him.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

craftsman wrote:Mine is like a porch swing. Left sway then right sway then left sway then right sway???? It just seems too......symmetrical of an action.
it's going to be symmetrical in the sense it's like a seemingly endless back and forth yaw. Is this what you mean? If so, this is correct.
A2A Simulations Inc.

craftsman
Senior Airman

Post by craftsman »

Yes. Just thinking about it again. With no elevator as a horizontal stabilizer and the bonanza's two opposing surfaces being?? maybe 10%, 15% constant. I guess there would be no resistance as one sway to port would be resisted as the same as a sway to starboard. Meaning that the control surfaces are say 15% horizontal as opposed to a one surface 90% on traditional small aircraft which its yaw control is much more??? how to say aggressive. Since you have flown this I assume IF I am making sense that this is the case.
If it is really like this wouldn't this be a dettterent to buying this aircraft. Until flying this in the simulation I never had these thoughts before. I would seriously consider the purchase of a traditional elevator over the bonanza. Please tell me your thoughts on this. 61 years old and with health my doubts of IRL flying again are becoming just a dream.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”