[FIXED] Missing Magnetic Compass Deviation Card

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
flapman
Staff Sergeant

[FIXED] Missing Magnetic Compass Deviation Card

Post by flapman »

It's not a big deal, and yet it is a big deal :lol:

Strangely enough, I can't find the cited regulation on the official FAA website.
§ 23.1547 Magnetic direction indicator.

(a) A placard meeting the requirements of this section must be installed on or near the magnetic direction indicator.

(b) The placard must show the calibration of the instrument in level flight with the engines operating.

(c) The placard must state whether the calibration was made with radio receivers on or off.

(d) Each calibration reading must be in terms of magnetic headings in not more than 30 degree increments.

(e) If a magnetic nonstabilized direction indicator can have a deviation of more than 10 degrees caused by the operation of electrical equipment, the placard must state which electrical loads, or combination of loads, would cause a deviation of more than 10 degrees when turned on.
[Doc. No. 4080, 29 FR 17955, Dec. 18, 1964; 30 FR 258, Jan. 9, 1965, as amended by Amdt. 23-20, 42 FR 36969, July 18, 1977]
Last edited by flapman on 03 Jan 2019, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

Ty53650
Airman First Class

Re: Missing Magnetic Compass Deviation Card

Post by Ty53650 »

Also curious. Are compass errors modeled?

Thanks!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

If we were modeling what it was like to fly many years ago we would have modeled them but since we're simulating flying today, we didn't model those errors.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ty53650
Airman First Class

Post by Ty53650 »

That's fair! Thanks Scott, purchased last night!

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Hi guys,

Just want to add some more information after some quick research on this matter. Although the quoted regulation cannot be found on the FAA's website (or their link to regulations), it is available through a search of the current federal register available through the Government Printing Office (GPO). Curious to see what other A2A aircraft have this placard, I came up with the following results from modules which I own.

Owned A2A aircraft with compass cards:
B-17G, J-3 Cub, C-172, T-6, P-51D(Military), Spitfire.
Owned A2A aircraft without compass cards:
B-377 COTS, L-49 COTS, V35B.

The Bonanza represents the first A2A product I've owned, outside of the COTS series, without this placard. I'm curious, can I ask one of the talented repainters to include this in one of their next cockpit/cabin repaints? Or have them (or myself?) add it to the current A2A texture? My preference would be to add it in the space below the compass viewing window, but being stuck to the panel is perfectly fine.
Scott - A2A wrote:we didn't model those errors.
I likely wouldn't have used them if they were coded :mrgreen: From my perspective this is primarily a visual/texture concern for the cockpit. That big empty space on the Compass is pretty much centered on my view as I look over the nose...
Thanks again.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Sorry to dig up my old thread, but I noticed this was fixed in one of the recent patches. It was a small detail but I feel it was a massive improvement, thank you guys at A2A very much! I hope others will enjoy the extra immersion as much as I do :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”