Low Resolution Cockpit Textures

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Bas
Airman Basic

Re: Low Resolution Cockpit Textures

Post by Bas »

Scott - A2A wrote:We will have a definitive answer for why this is happening on some systems and how to address this tomorrow (Sunday). Sorry for the delay.

Scott.
Thanks Scott!!

I’m sure this hickup will be solved!

Regardes Bas

tommygavin61
Airman Basic

Post by tommygavin61 »

wothan wrote:I removed the mipmaps from the VC textures, and now even at 1024x1024, labels, instrument numbers and markings are crisp.

FinnJ
What is the procedure for removing the MIP maps. I have the necessary programs to edit aircraft paints, just don't know the procedure.

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

tommygavin61 wrote:
wothan wrote:I removed the mipmaps from the VC textures, and now even at 1024x1024, labels, instrument numbers and markings are crisp.

FinnJ
What is the procedure for removing the MIP maps. I have the necessary programs to edit aircraft paints, just don't know the procedure.
Download Dxtbmp: http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Make a backup of the Texture.v folder.

Open each texture file (*.dds) with Dxtbmp in the Texture.v folder.

In the upper right corner of Dxtbmp ther is a chechbox "Mipmaps" - Uncheck this.
Save the file and answer "Yes" when asked to overwrite the file.

Voila - Mipmaps has been removed and the textures becomes crisp and clear, even at 1024x1024 texture resolution.

FinnJ
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

Puk
Senior Airman

Post by Puk »

Can't seem to post links as photos within this forum, so also adding the links below...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyd60ta2ki78u7i/Res.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/itijy56c2bd2dri/Res1.jpg?dl=0
Just replace the "dl=0" part in the link by "raw=1" and place it between the img brackets " ". That'll do the trick.

So:

Puk
ImageImage

flo76
Senior Airman

Post by flo76 »

the solution for me was to set the FXAA to OFF in p3d 4.3 graphical options, now i have a sharp vc like all my previous a2a aircrafts.
Florent DUFAY

millsaviation
Airman Basic

Post by millsaviation »

I fixed my resolution issue by going into the FSX.cfg file. The max allowed global texture resolution in FSX is 1024. I set it to 4096 by going on the CFG and setting TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096. I had my friends try this out and it fixed their problem. It even works on low end systems. Now if you ever set the resolution slider in FSX it will change the value back and you will have to go back and edit it again. This fixed all of my exterior and interior res problems. The mipmaps still have a couple of quirks but everything is crisp for the most part. I hope this helps!

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

millsaviation wrote:I fixed my resolution issue by going into the FSX.cfg file. The max allowed global texture resolution in FSX is 1024. I set it to 4096 by going on the CFG and setting TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096. I had my friends try this out and it fixed their problem. It even works on low end systems. Now if you ever set the resolution slider in FSX it will change the value back and you will have to go back and edit it again. This fixed all of my exterior and interior res problems. The mipmaps still have a couple of quirks but everything is crisp for the most part. I hope this helps!
Just be aware that increasing the texture resolution, also will take more video memory and that it doesn´t just do that for the A2A Bonanza, but for all textures higher than 1024x1024. This can (and in many cases - will) trigger Out Of Memory CTD's.
This is for the 32bit FSX, FSX:SE and older P3D versions. P3D V4.3 is not restricted memory wise, but there will be more strain on Your system.

In my opinion, removing the Mipmaps are the better solution, if You don´t want to use 4096x4096 resolution.

FinnJ
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

Thorsten42
Airman

Post by Thorsten42 »

Yeah absolutely with you Finn. Removing mipmaps is in my eyes the only solution. Mipmaps are evil gremlins from hell, repainters will tell you the same (most of them ;) ).

For me it is def not settings related and I just did the remove mipmaps dance and all fine and crisp even on lower settings like 1024 and 2048.

Cheers
Thorsten

Master General
Airman Basic

Post by Master General »

How can I remove non-mipmap textures, installed previously?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello,

As explained by the non-mipmapped texture installer, you should reinstall the Bonanza using the original product installer if you wish to revert to the mipmapped textures.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”