Dillon to Missoula

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Dillon to Missoula

Post by ClipperLuna »

I just had a heck of an adventure in the Bo. The day began in Dillon, Mt. Real world weather, of course, which meant about 3/4 mile visibility in snow and low cloud. Winds favoured Rwy 3 so I decided to go with that one

Now what I didn't know about 3 until I was ready to taxi is that it has no taxiway. So, I did the runup about midfield and backtracked to the end. This part was a bit . . . eerie.

The weather at my first stop, Helena, was even worse, with heavy snow and visibility down to 1/4 mile. I'm still getting used to ILS work in this plane, but I managed. Here's the view from where I parked, looking back toward the threshold of 27. Normally you can see the tower to the right, but not today.

Taxiing back out for leg 2: Helena to Missoula. After what seemed like long minutes with not much besides the taxiway to see, the tower finally loomed into view. Weird to be this close and can only now start to see it.

Lined up and ready to go--into a world that seems to end about 1000' in front of me.

I made what I thought was a fairly nice approach to get lined up with Missoula's 11. On glideslope, gear's down, things are looking good so it's time for the flaps. And that's when all hell broke loose. In the blink of an eye I've got one wing straight up and the other straight down. With agonizing slowness I got it straight again, but now I'm low, slow, can't see a damn thing, just barely climbing, and having a hell of a time trying to hold it upright. A quick look outside told me what I already knew: left flap jammed down. And as it would turn out, the linkage to the right was busted, so the flaps are stuck where they are.

I took a minute to get a feel for how it was flying and assess my situation. I can barely hold it straight so at my skill level, shooting an instrument approach with 1/4 visibility wasn't going to happen. The nearest airport with anything approaching weather I can work with is Lewiston--about 130 miles to the west. So now my options are fly IFR over the mountains with a jammed flap, or bite the bullet and bypass the maintenance hangar. Though it pained me greatly to do it (and takes a big bite out of the drama), I opted for the latter.

At long last, I'm approaching 11, if a little high and to the right. Oh well.

What a day

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Dillon to Missoula

Post by Paughco »

Hey - you and the airplane made it in one piece. Congrats! You can always go back one or two steps in your Bonanza flight logs, which will turn back the clock on that reset. C:\Users\YourName\Documents\A2A\FSX\Bonanza35.

Seeya
ATB

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Thanks, Paughco. That option didn't occur to me in the moment but you're right--I should have gone for it and used a backup file if I ended up junking the plane. Still, I am pretty happy I was able to get the plane level and (mostly) keep it there solely to instrument reference.

Side note, this forum has seemed a bit . . . quiet lately. Anyone else taken the Bonanza anyplace interesting?

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Glad you made it. :)
Last edited by Scav on 07 Feb 2019, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Very nice mate, I had a jammed flap too so I know it's a handful to fly. But with your conditions too good job getting the Bo down in one piece.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

What an experience you had! This weather is dangerous enough for a healthy plane, but boy with an issue, that is a heart stopper.
Thank you for sharing this incredible flight with us in pictures.

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great experience and report, thanks for sharing and great save on your virtual life 8)

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

I love these kind of flights, but in the real world it's a death wish, lol.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

It certainly is a death wish, and something you'd only do in a simulation. I've been doing the same thing myself in the Bonanza, crossing the US from Chicago, and crossing the Rockies over the Christmas break. Scary stuff as sometimes you're scraping the tree tops. At least I've had no failures to contend with. The snow and no visibility was enough. :D :D

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”