Acquring VOR signal

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
jwontf
Airman

Acquring VOR signal

Post by jwontf »

I am flying the Bonanza V tail in Norway, approaching ENOL runway 33 with an ILS frequency of 108.3 from the latest Navigraph charts.
I am flying in in Heading mode in the autopilot with the runway heading set on the PNI on both heading and course and arming Approach at about 8 or 9 miles out from the runway.
However the warning navigation red flag is showing throughout the approach.This is telling me that it cannot receive the VOR or Localiser signal, and so no VOR navigation or approach is available.
I have tried flying in an automatic approach to EGNM Leeds Bradford, England with no problems.
Anyone tell me what I am missing?
Thanks

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Acquring VOR signal

Post by Paughco »

Hmm. I'll give that one a try after my wife and I get back from our YMCA workout. Will let you know if it works for me - or not.

EDIT: OK, I took off in the Bonanza from Orland (ENOL) and flew around for a bit at 1,500 feet and started heading back for the field. Real weather had Rwy 15 in use at the time. I had the autopilot on in HDG mode, on a 45 degree intercept to the ILS, and would have hit APPR mode soon as I saw deflection on ILS 15. The deflection never happened, so I disconnected the autopilot and flew her in for the landing. Turns out I had the frequency wrong. I had it set to 108.30 instead of 109.30. Sorry about that!

ENOL has two ILS approaches. ILS 15 is 109.30 and 152 degM; ILS 33 is 108.30 and 332 degM. While on the ground, I found that the HSI on NAV1 would pick up an ILS signal 109.30, but nothing on 108.30. No idea why one works and the other does not. The frequencies for both ILS approaches into ENOL are the same on Little Nav Map as they are in the P3D map.

Sorry I don't have any definitive answers here.

Seeya
ATB

jwontf
Airman

Post by jwontf »

Thanks, Paughco. You replicated my problem and I am relieved it's not my technique.
I tried coming into ENOL on the default Maule, and it functioned absolutely normally. The V-tail is not picking up on 110.90 for ILS approach to EGNM Runway32 either.
This problem is also happening in the FSX Version of the Bonanza.
Is there a problem on the Bonanza?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello jwontf,

This ILS seems to be working okay for me in a fairly new installation of P3D v4.4 with default scenery and nav data.

Could you show us a similar screenshot showing how your panel is configured? Also, are you using any add-on scenery?

Thanks,
Nick

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Jwontf: OK, I went back and tried it again. I may have mistuned one of my radios. I carefully tuned them this time, 109.3 and 152 for Rwy 15, and 108.3 (not 108.5!) and 332 for Rwy 33. I tried each ILS by flying around in the airplane with the autopilot set to HDG mode and altitude set for 1,000 feet. I flew outbound to where I could intercept the ILS out at the end of the green tail at about 45 degrees. Once on that course, I armed the approach mode by pushing the APPR button. The airplane was able to capture and follow the ILS (bearing and glide slope) for both runways. This is once I got the radios set correctly, of course!

Another factor: I upgraded from P3Dv4.3 to P3Dv4.4 since the last time I tried this experiment, but I think my problem the first time was due to my hamfistedness in radio channel selection.

Also, the Bonanza tends to overshoot and then oscillate a bit when intercepting an ILS, so it might be a good idea to plan on intercepting way out there, and at a shallow angle. More practice needed (Oh, darn!). Might include a sick bag in the glove box if you bring along a passenger...

Hey - join us on a multiplayer flight some time! We fly every Sunday!

Seeya
ATB

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

Funny. This remains my first contact with PID regulator at university long time ago. My team programmed autopilot that had tendency to overshoot and oscillated a bit, but we were so happy that we fit with programming in given time. Then came the professor, looked at results and asked us one simple question: are you guys technically oriented at all? ;-)

jwontf
Airman

Post by jwontf »

Nick,
I have updated P3D from v 4.3.29 to v 4.4.16 following your reply.
I have OrbX FTX Global, Open LC Europe and Norway installed.
Here is a Dropbox URL link which I hope you can access of the same screenshot you posted. This has the warning red flag nav showing as it did throughout the flight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gupac1wphjpvc ... a.jpg?dl=0

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the pic jwontf - quite often a screenshot is a big help in getting to the bottom of issues like this one.

In this case, the Flight 1 GTN 750 is configured in the NAV/COM2 position, and you can see that it's deflecting the CDI of the VOR2 gauge below the HSI. With this configuration, by default the HSI is linked to the GTN 650 in the upper NAV/COM1 position.

If you prefer, you can change these assignments in the F1 GTN config tool. What's more, our next update for the Bonanza will be bringing some additional GPS configurations which place the larger and more capable GTN 750 (or GNS 530) units in the upper NAV/COM1 slot when a 'dual' configuration is selected.

Hope this helps,
Nick

jwontf
Airman

Post by jwontf »

Nick,
Thank you so much for your input.
I now have the approach sorted. I was concentrating so much on the HSI, I hadn't noticed the NAV 2 indicator.
I went into the F1 GTN Config Tool. For some reason I don't understand, there are options to configure two versions of of both the GTN 750 and 650, called U1 and U2.
The GTN 750 U1 was configured to NAV 1 and the U2 to NAV2. The planes was presumably using the U2 version and hence, since NAV 2 was not tuned to the ENOL ILS, wasn't picking it up.
Rightly or wrongly, I configured both GTN 750s to NAV1 and, hey presto, executed a perfect automatic approach.
Many thanks for your prompt and helpful replies.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're very welcome jwontf - happy to hear that you've found a solution which works for you, although bear in mind this won't give you access to the NAV/COM2 radios.

As I say, stay tuned for the next update to the Bonanza which will allow you to place that GNT 750 in the top slot and use the GTN 650 in the NAV/COM2 position. :wink:

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”