Lean Of Peak

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Lean Of Peak

Post by Oracle427 »

Okay, I see that the rough running does happen, but it requires nearly pulling the mixture all the way out and hitting 40-50LOP before it happens. I was expecting the onset to be much sooner. I guess the simulated engine has extremely well balanced mixture distribution.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Engines that have very good mixture balance and go well beyond peak EGT should not exhibit too much roughness at all before flaming out. I am not sure if one can reach so slow combustion speeds by leaning that the exhaust valve opens before the combustion is complete. I've been told it is possible in some circumstances, but I've never went deeper into it. This may be mistaken for "misfiring", but is entirely different thing.

-Esa

tttocs
Airman First Class

Post by tttocs »

Seems to be some variability in experiences here. I start seeing/feeling power dropping off in the vicinity of peak EGT. There is definitely no way I would attempt to fly lean of peak as that's definitely not in this engine's "happy" zone.

It would be kinda fun to have a working GAMI option added to the maintenance hangar!

And BTW in case this sounds a bit like a complaint it's definitely not. A2A's GA planes are a joy to fly in large part due to the extremely accurate piston modeling. It is SUCH a pleasure to be able to accurately and properly manage mixture - something badly broken in every other piston model I fly in FSX/P3D.

Scott

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I would love to have the option to install GAMI injectors in the Maintenance Hanger

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I'd love to have some Knots2U type streamlining mods :D :D

But perhaps more necessary is a switch assignment for the fuel pump. Mouse clicking the fuel pump when you have TrackIR at start up is a bit of a lottery as the slightest slip of the mouse over that pump switch results in flooding and lots of grinding on the starter. I don't have FSUIPC and there's no such assignment standard in P3D either.

I'm using 50 degrees ROP. I tend to cruise at 2200 to 2300rpm and 24in MAP with a light load. I prefer to cruise at a lower rpm to conserve my engine which has 850 hours on the clock. This reduces oil consumption and is a little quieter. I've also prefer cruising ROP to reduce the stress on the engine as well as for best power. Plus fuel in the sim is cheap :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I've started using 2400 rpm for my cruise setting

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Dogsbody55 wrote:I'm using 50 degrees ROP. [...] I've also prefer cruising ROP to reduce the stress on the engine as well as for best power.
What is noteworthy is that the mixtures just rich of peak EGT subject the engine to maximum possible thermal stresses. At moderate power, if the engine leans comfortably beyond the peak EGT, that actually relieves the stresses the engine is subjected to. However, A2A Bonanza apparently simulates an engine that does not lean comfortably beyond the peak EGT, realistically for an engine that starts running very rough by leaning.

Obviously, this is not necessarily a bad thing. With naturally aspirated engine, climbing to any considerable altitude is equivalent to an efficient version of closing your throttle. Near best power mixtures provide good means to extract what cruise performance the naturally aspirated engine can provide at altitude.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”