Had a flap jam today

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Had a flap jam today

Post by EnDSchultz »

Was shooting the Localizer into Yakutat (PAYA) today. Had just come out of IMC and was configuring for final approach. As I deployed Approach Flaps, I noticed a rapidly building uncommanded roll to the left. Fortunately I was able to diagnose the problem immediately and retracted the flaps (or, uh, flap) before the rolling moment became too strong to correct. Landed safely flaps up, shut her down, and had a gander. Sure enough! I was quite surprised to experience such a failure on a nearly mint airplane. I didn't overspeed the flaps, since Vfe for approach flaps is allegedly the same as Vle and I was well below it by this point thanks to having extended the gear. I had used Flaps 15 to take off from an unprepared strip at the beginning of the flight, so I knew they were functioning well up until that point... just one of those rare freak accidents, I guess.

Also surprised that evidently two of my gauges are already supposedly reading inaccurately. The tach seems perfectly correct (stabilizes at redline on takeoff), and the fuel flow for various configurations also seems normal, so it is possible that the threshold of error for the mechanic to report an inaccurate gauge is extremely small.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Had a flap jam today

Post by Scott - A2A »

EnDSchultz wrote:Was shooting the Localizer into Yakutat (PAYA) today. Had just come out of IMC and was configuring for final approach. As I deployed Approach Flaps, I noticed a rapidly building uncommanded roll to the left. Fortunately I was able to diagnose the problem immediately and retracted the flaps (or, uh, flap) before the rolling moment became too strong to correct. Landed safely flaps up, shut her down
Congratulations. And this simulated experience could save your life someday if flying for real.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Amen, Scott. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, my experiences - and many mistakes - in the sim have made me a better pilot in the real world. You and everyone at A2A should be very proud to have created a line of products that so directly translates to real-world aviation.

Yoda
Airman First Class

Post by Yoda »

I had a similar experience in my first flight in the A2A Bonanza that was entirely due to pilot error.

I was on the GPS approach to KTVL but high, having poorly managed my descent. Already at 15" MP, but at 135 KIAS, I thought, "a notch of flaps should help slow me down." I tapped the F7 key and watched in horror as the flaps went all the way down. Pulled the nose up to slow down, and tried to retract the flaps. Now well inside the white arc, the plane rolled hard to the right. Sure enough, only the right flap came up. While correcting with aileron, I tried to lower the flaps again, and the right flap only went halfway down. I barely managed to get the plane down safely on the runway.

Lesson learned: STAY AHEAD OF THE AIRPLANE.

Definitely gave me a healthy respect for it.
Respectfully,

Kurt

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi .
I had a right flap fail on approach , a broken link on the right flap shown in the hanger , but the walkaround prior to repair , indicated everything was ok, i have entered it in the Bo tech forum section , as there appears to be an issue between the wallk around pics and the hanger , the hanger was showing the correct fault.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”