Crosswind landing

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
piper2016
Airman Basic

Crosswind landing

Post by piper2016 »

First I love your v tail Bonanza and I love it to fly with the auto pilot on! The rain effects, the smoke on the exhaust pipe, the shaking curtain, all the little details makes it a wonderful looking plane!

But in 20kt. Slight crosswind it isn’t realistic to fly low wing with rudder is impossible to fly a straight in approach. The nose bouncing around... (my opinion)

I flew the same thing with the Comanche and everything works fine. Low wing rudder.. hard but possible.

Fly the bonanza by hand makes no fun except in really light wind...

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Re: Crosswind landing

Post by MatzeH84 »

I had this too this weekend. In light winds it's a pleasure to fly, but add in more and the nose starts swinging left and right all over the place. In the 182 or Comanche you can crab very nicely and even the Mustang is pretty stable.. but in the Bo you are so busy working the rudder, that anything else is hard to concentrate on. Interestingly, if you switch on the AP, the swinging is gone.

Gesendet von meinem F8331 mit Tapatalk
Kind regards, Matthias

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

I just landed her with a light crosswind of 9knots (runway 20, wind from 120 at 9) and the slip during final and the crab at the flare worked fine, just doing all softly and progressive.
I will test tomorrow with more knots of crosswind and will report.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I setup a 20kt crosswind and with full rudder, was able to cross control and hold centerline with full flaps. Keep in mind, in a real 20kt crosswind you would be likely landing with less that full flaps and at higher speed. So don't let the plane get slow, as you will blow off the runway as expected.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've found that flying wing low and keeping it straight with rudder works better on high wing planes in cross wind landings. I've done many cross wind landings in real life in low wing planes and found that nose into wind with aileron to keep it level works better with low wing planes. Flapless works better still as you have to use a higher airspeed to maintain a proper rate of descent, usually about 500fpm.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

piper2016
Airman Basic

Post by piper2016 »

Today I tried the crabbing method, this is better but I crashed serveral times when I adjust thrust shortly above the runway. The torque was so huge that the airplane spins around.

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

piper2016 wrote:Today I tried the crabbing method, this is better but I crashed serveral times when I adjust thrust shortly above the runway. The torque was so huge that the airplane spins around.
Remember to fly over the threshold at a higher speed and don't let the plane float, you have to make the plane sit on the runway soon and with enough speed to have control.
I'm not having problems at all with the crosswind landings in the Bo. My biggest problem with it is during the liftoff, is impossible to make a short field takeoff without losing control of the plane.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

avduarri wrote: Remember to fly over the threshold at a higher speed and don't let the plane float, you have to make the plane sit on the runway soon and with enough speed to have control.
I'm not having problems at all with the crosswind landings in the Bo. My biggest problem with it is during the liftoff, is impossible to make a short field takeoff without losing control of the plane.
Not comfortable with that. I guess I'm having trouble reconciling a higher speed with not floating. I look forward to someone more knowledgeable than me weighing in.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

The crabbing method takes practice, and once in the flare, you have to be properly aligned with the runway, which means rudder to stay straight, and aileron into wind. Remember also that once you're down, to maintain aileron into wind until they loose effectiveness.

As my instructor used to tell me, landing a light plane in crosswinds puts all life's other problems into perspective! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

piper2016
Airman Basic

Post by piper2016 »

MatzeH84 wrote:I had this too this weekend. In light winds it's a pleasure to fly, but add in more and the nose starts swinging left and right all over the place. In the 182 or Comanche you can crab very nicely and even the Mustang is pretty stable.. but in the Bo you are so busy working the rudder, that anything else is hard to concentrate on. Interestingly, if you switch on the AP, the swinging is gone.

Gesendet von meinem F8331 mit Tapatalk
Autopilot „on“ an the swinging from left to right is gone. Same thing with my Bonanza.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Maybe its overcontroling on the pilot's part :wink: ? Have you guys by any chance looked outside to see how surfaces move on auto ?

szln6z
Airman

Post by szln6z »

Did my first crosswind landings yesterday. It was severe, wind 20G30, about 30 degs off centerline. My landings were awful; just awful. I fought the Bo the whole way. Nose swinging left/right like crazy. Tried several and all were terrible. It wasn't fun, and I was so frustrated that I just ended P3D while still rolling out. That's not the way I want to feel when I'm supposed to be enjoying a flight simulator.

I'll try some of the suggestions above like higher speed and less flaps; maybe crabbing rather than a forward slip with crossed-controls.

I second the comments that the Bo is a pleasure to fly in light winds, but windy and it's not enjoyable in P3D. Sometimes I wonder if we expect too much from what's really a computer game; I would prefer to enjoy myself rather than have 100% realism and not enjoy myself. I think that sitting behind a computer we lose some important and vital sensations that you have when flying a real aircraft, and I think compensation for this loss would be welcome (IMHO). (Case in point - I can tell you that when I'm heads-down in a real aircraft, I can feel pitch/roll changes and adjust for them without looking up; can't tell you how many times I've looked back up in P3D only to find that I'm in a bank or pitching.)

James

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
20G30 i would say is outside the aircrafts limits , and in the real world , you would divert , having said that i have landed the A2A BO in those types of wind , its a handfull , and you could end up with one or the other flap failing , as you are on finals , in that case you would be lucky to get down at all , so dont feel to bad if the landing is not a good one , as long as you dont break the aircraft that is.
regards alan. 8)

szln6z
Airman

Post by szln6z »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
20G30 I would say is outside the aircrafts limits
regards alan. 8)
Yeah, a fair observation.
That said, I did change the P3D General realism to 50% and did some testing with takeoffs and landings in crosswinds. Yeah, I used 20G30, but I enjoyed the results, so I'm gonna go with that for now. We'll see; I might tweak it a bit higher.

James

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

Worst conditions I faced so far in Bo were at L05 airport, where there is no radio weather information available and conditions of course have changed in flight. I did overfly to see the sock, but did not notice that crosswind was gusting from 0 to 10 in the on/off way. Also there was some mountain proximity effect in place, modeled by AS, not reflected in the sock. So at first attempt, initially it was not bad but in final phase I just dropped from 20 to 3ft above the runway in half a second (so more luck than brain). "fast and flat" option is limited due to tree planted near the threshold, but I've tried that and finally I stopped 10 meters from the end (where end means precipice). It was a very good lesson that "fly somewhere else" is sometimes the best option.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”