Strange takeoff behavior

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Strange takeoff behavior

Post by Tailspin45 »

So far, I have been unable to make a single takeoff that wasn't heart-stopping. I've put up with it assuming I needed some axis tuning but despite my best tweaking efforts no joy.

The problem occurs just as the aircraft breaks ground. My method, assuming no crosswind, is to rotate slightly at about 50, just enough to take the weight off the nosewheel, and then let the bird fly when she decides to, which typically is about 70. Then I accelerate to 110 unless there's an obstacle to clear.

But every time she breaks ground some horrendous yaw/pitch couple occurs with no control input and I'm suddenly fearing for my life. So far, I've managed to avoid busting my ass, but the experience is distinctly unpleasant and nothing like in real life.

Anyone else have the problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Re: Strange takeoff behavior

Post by Mazo »

Anyone else have the problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Yes - hold her down by slight forward pressure on the yoke until you reach 80, gently back off the yoke pressure and she will rise smoothly.

Works for me as I was having the same issue if I tried to rotate before 80.

Hope it helps.

Lyn

PS This is with the pilot, female passenger, both main tanks about 80% full, no tip tanks installed,and about 70lbs in the aft baggage area. Default "Fair Weather".
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Not sure if this is directly relevant but it (and also the linked Avsim thread) might be worth a look.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Hmmm, that stall issue may well be related, although lifting off at 70 is about 1.2 Vso and stall behavior shouldn't be an issue. But flight models are a witch's brew.

In any case, keeping the nose firmly on the deck until 80 and then gently rotating as before did make the situation much less dramatic.

Thank you both.
Last edited by Tailspin45 on 22 Sep 2018, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Blue skies and tailwinds

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Somewhere on here Scott mentioned rotate at 80 , since doing so the aircraft seems more controllable , except in high gusting winds , then its real fun controlling her.
regards alan. 8)

Webby
Airman Basic

Post by Webby »

Yes I have the same thing too. thought it was my yoke playing up, so loaded a2a C182, noticed when viewing ext from outside just the rudder is moving when I switch back to the bonanza the rudder and also the ailerons are moving causing heart stopping take off lol.
Still haven't worked it out.

Mustang01
Senior Airman

Post by Mustang01 »

ive managed to smooth out the takeoff however I still get a shudder as the wheels leave the runway..I noticed that by tapping the brakes it goes away...Is this actually simulating the wheel shudder on the strut and if so, does the real Bonanza do this??
Image Image

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Mustang01.
Yes apparently they have modelled wheel shudder , and tapping the brakes stops the wheels rotating , which in turn stops the shuddering.
regards alan. 8) :lol:

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Mustang01 wrote:does the real Bonanza do this??
Most aircraft do it to some extent, it just depends on how well balanced the wheels and tires are.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Another thing to remember , when the wheels are spinning , they have a gyroscopic affect , hence another reason to stop them turning.

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

For that matter, the spinning also makes them bigger. Some aircraft require a tap on the brakes to keep them from rubbing the wheel well during retraction.
Blue skies and tailwinds

Mustang01
Senior Airman

Post by Mustang01 »

Interesting. Flown a few different airframes real world and never had this happen..but ive also not had any time in a bonanza. When i owned my 150..it never did it..but maybe theres a difference between fixed gear and retract
Image Image

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Definitely not peculiar to the Bonanza, but it is more of an issue with aircraft that lift off at a higher speed because, of course, that means the tires are turning faster.

Rented a 180 Comanche and it was horrible! Turned out someone had slammed on the brakes and flat spotted the mains enough to ruin the tire balance.

A Mooney I had rattled my teeth once and brakes didn't make it stop. Turned out we'd picked up some tar on the nosewheel. Soon as I scraped it off, the problem went away.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi Mustang01.
Yes apparently they have modelled wheel shudder , and tapping the brakes stops the wheels rotating , which in turn stops the shuddering.
Pilots during WW2 were instructed to tap the brakes after takeoff before retracting the gear to stop the wheels. Retracting the gear with wheels still spinning could cause a blown tyre.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”