Starting tricks?

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Starting tricks?

Post by ryanbatc »

I'm following the checklist exactly. (Fuel selector isn't in the manual but I did set that to L).

I get a green arc fuel flow then shut that off, pull the throttle back to 1/4" open. Engage starter.... and the prop just turns until my battery dies. I've tried changing the mixture a little and changing the throttle position while starting. Nothing helps.

My default startup flight is the mooney with engines running.

trindade
Staff Sergeant

Re: Starting tricks?

Post by trindade »

I had the same problem yesterday. The trick for me was to find the sweet spot on the throttle position. In my case 10 to 15% open and my problems were gone.

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

No luck... I've got a CH throttle and I've tried no throttle and up to 50%...
Last edited by ryanbatc on 16 Sep 2018, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

You're probably over-priming and not opening the throttle enough to correct. At reasonably warm temperatures it won't take much of fuel to start the thing. Also, remember that with Continental's injection system, you are putting fuel into the engine basically as soon as it turns, so it is easier to 'flood' than Lycoming that basically runs on the fumes created by the priming before the mixture is opened after the engine fires.

How long you prime in seconds?

-Esa

lownslo
Airman

Post by lownslo »

I have the same problem. Have tried various throttle positions from 0-100%... no joy. Can't even get the engine to cough no matter what I try!

Greg

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Not sure if this is a hot start or cold start problem or both. I have a friend with a V35 that hates to hot start so much that he will plan his flights with long enough stops to avoid having to hot start. This is a guy that has owned the same plane for nearly 20 years. Cold starts are much less troublesome, but they still do require finesse to start.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

I found the trick is to be very quick with turning that fuel pump off as soon as the needle hits the green.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

Dreamsofwings wrote:I found the trick is to be very quick with turning that fuel pump off as soon as the needle hits the green.
Ok I'll try that. By priming you guys mean the green fuel aux switch right?

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I'd go as far as to say you don't want to hit the green but just enough to have a good indication.

In what comes to the hot starting, it is usually the most difficult to start the engine after it has been sitting for some time but not long enough to have cooled down. Usually it helps to run the auxiliary pump for a good while (speaking of perhaps a minute or so, or even longer) with the mixture at cut-off before priming the engine as necessary. That is, very little.

-Esa

camo
Airman

Post by camo »

I found that if you over prime the engine and it wont start you can fix it leaning the mixture when cranking the engine. It burst into life when I tried it last night

lownslo
Airman

Post by lownslo »

AKar wrote:You're probably over-priming and not opening the throttle enough to correct.
Yep, I think that was the problem for me. Also, the suggestion above about turning the fuel pump off as soon as it hits the green is important too. I barely primed the engine (cool, damp morning here in NorCal) and set the throttle at 18%... fired right off!

Thanks all!!

Greg

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I've found mine is easier to start if I don't open the throttle fully while priming, or as mentioned you can be fast enough just to get a fuel flow indication and shut the switch back off. If I open the throttle and run the pump until fuel flow is green before shutting it off I'm guaranteed a flood.

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

AKar wrote:I'd go as far as to say you don't want to hit the green but just enough to have a good indication.
-Esa
I did this and now it works. It coughed a little and seemed like it was turning over but I added a bit more throttle and voilla!

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

As the manual says, full open of the throttle and mixture. Then turn on the fuel pump and watch that needle!!! As soon as the needle is about to hit the start of the green arc turn the fuel pump OFF. This is a very quick process and over priming is really easy as you are experiencing.
ImageImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

You guys are nailing it. For the record, I had the same problem in beta testing, as I was over priming. As soon as I realized what I was doing wrong, I changed my methodology. I just wait until she gets inside the green arc and immediately cut it off by having my hand on the switch ready to go.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”