Starting tricks?

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Starting tricks?

Post by Scott - A2A »

A little trick in aviation (that also works in Accu-Sim) is, when in doubt, flood the engine then open the throttle and crank. As the fuel burns off, when it gets just to the right spot, it will fire up.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Scott - A2A wrote:A little trick in aviation (that also works in Accu-Sim) is, when in doubt, flood the engine then open the throttle and crank. As the fuel burns off, when it gets just to the right spot, it will fire up.

Scott.
That was my method for the first few starts :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I've never understood why any manual says to open the throttle while priming (and some do). With mechanical fuel injection, you're just asking to over-prime it. When the throttle is closed, it is still open a little, so fuel is still getting sprayed in when the fuel pump is on with the mixture open, just at a lower rate. I find that on most airplanes with this setup you simply open the mixture fully, turn on the fuel pump until you get a steady pressure for about 1 second, then shutoff the fuel pump. That gives you plenty of prime to get the engine started once you open up the throttle 1/4" or so.

rightseat
Airman First Class

Post by rightseat »

In my fuel-injected Hawk XP (IRL), the procedure is 1) full mixture, 2) fuel pump high, 3) look for 8-10gps to show on fuel flow, 4) fuel pump off, 5) crank. For hot starts in my Hawk, the procedure (that works, but isn't book), is 1) same procedure as above, 2) once it lights off and then begins to falter, 3) hit the high pump to nudge the engine back to life--works every time.

In the Bo, this procedure works for me every time without fail: 1) Fuel selector ON (I've missed that bc I fly a Cessna IRL), 2) mixture cut off, 3) fuel pump on 4) look for fuel rise (I usually count to 4 once I see the needle flinch) then fuel pump off, 5) throttle cracked 1/2 to 1 inch--doesn't matter, but definitely cracked, 6) crank ,7) the engine will light off, and you push the mixture in once it does, 8) lean immediately and keep RPM's at around 1000 (Bo won't move much at that RPM, and you can leave the parking break on).

This procedure has worked every time for me without fail, regardless of altitude and temperature. I hope it will help you. :-)
Best,

Scott N758VS

Image Image

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCADafr ... xfS9NhwThw

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Chris,

In the Bonanza, the amount of fuel that goes into the engine is directly tied to the throttle position in a way different to Lycomings. If your throttle is closed or almost closed, almost no fuel flows for priming.

The way Bonanza pilots do it is just open it wide, and run the fuel pump, as soon as the FF needle starts to launch into the green area, turn it off. IOW, it's not at all like priming a Cessna 182.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

I flooded her a couple of times now, basically priming for too long.
In the hangar shift-7, engine, you can check if she's flooded.
To then start i do throttle full open, mixture shut, crank. She will start then, after which I quickly push in mixture.

Key seems to be to shut down fuel pump on priming as soon as fuelflow hits the green arc so no flooding will occur.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

My best trick of starting just about any of these engines is to think them like lawnmowers: you do get as many tricks as you know users. There are some basics to each engine, and these are the fundamentals to learn about, unfortunately most pilot material don't provide too usable info so it is up to trial and error mostly and listening for advice. What "little trick" Scott described before makes a very thoughtful and usable crude approach as it discounts as many variables as practically is possible, though you probably need to remember to close the mixture even if the book procedure states otherwise.

One needs to think about what one's achieving and what is happening with each step. It is relatively common sense to apply this mind picture when you get it about right. Applying them blindly by following a written list generally does very rough, approximate job and can be much improved with very little finesse, in particular when the conditions deviate from standard.

-Esa

maubrenta
Senior Airman

Post by maubrenta »

Joshua van de Goor
Airman Basic

Post by Joshua van de Goor »

Hi,
I had the same problem like many of you with over priming my engine. Apperantly der is a way to crank the engine to burn the fuel injected in the system.

How does it work? And why works it?

Best regards

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Joshua van de Goor wrote:Apperantly der is a way to crank the engine to burn the fuel injected in the system.

It is more about ventilating the engine from the excess fuel than burning it. It is rather straightforward idea: keep the throttle opened to allow better air flow through the engine and keep cranking for some time. Stuff you've pushed into the induction is vented through the engine and with any luck, at some point you'll get combustible mixture and the engine fires. You'd keep the mixture back to avoid pumping additional fuel into the engine until if it catches.

-Esa

plicpriest1
Airman

Post by plicpriest1 »

I used to fly a B36TC (short while, way too short). After priming, the procedure was to slowly advance the throttle while cranking. At some point it would light off and Id adjust the RPM, check oil pressure, and then all was well.

Ive been doing that here and it works well for me!

Joshua van de Goor
Airman Basic

Post by Joshua van de Goor »

AKar wrote:
Joshua van de Goor wrote:Apperantly der is a way to crank the engine to burn the fuel injected in the system.

It is more about ventilating the engine from the excess fuel than burning it. It is rather straightforward idea: keep the throttle opened to allow better air flow through the engine and keep cranking for some time. Stuff you've pushed into the induction is vented through the engine and with any luck, at some point you'll get combustible mixture and the engine fires. You'd keep the mixture back to avoid pumping additional fuel into the engine until if it catches.

-Esa
Thank you so far!
When do I have to pull the mixture back? Must the ignition be on or on, off or on start position?

Josh

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Joshua van de Goor wrote:
AKar wrote:

-Esa
Thank you so far!
When do I have to pull the mixture back? Must the ignition be on or on, off or on start position?

Josh
With the ignition, you'd find very little choice with the Bonanza. :) It should be on both, or on the impulse-coupled mag as applicable regardless.

If you've overprimed the engine, you'd want the mixture back before cranking as you will turn the fuel pump while doing that. You'd be starting it on the (over-)prime fuel, making the initial start more like the Lycoming's. Most often, if starting with reasonably judged prime, simply have your mixture full-rich as per the book, and advance the throttle as required to lean the shot. Actually, starting fuel-injected Continentals can be far more tricky than starting fuel-injected Lycoming with the Bendix servo, in particular when the conditions are off standard.

-Esa

maubrenta
Senior Airman

Post by maubrenta »

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Here's something I stumbled onto. It actually started more easily the first time it happened than in this video, I was quite surprised when it it started so easily. With the throttle between 20 and 25% and mixture rich I've ran the electric pump until the needle stabilizes, shut it off and crank. My engine has about 710 hours on it.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”