Carburetor

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Carburetor

Post by Artur »

Question - during flight i see that carburetor air temp. is -10C.
F/E do nothing about it.
I have switched on carburetor anti icer.
F/E also did not play with carb air levers - those stay in "cold" position.

Is it normal and Ok ?, or maybe carb temp should drop lower to trigger any action from F/E side ?
Also i would like to know proper procedure in such case - should i use first anti icer or air levers ?
Appreciate explanation.

( P3D 3.4.22 + ASN + Connie of latest revision )

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Carburetor

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Carb temp as far as i am aware is controlled by the engineer , was the temps on the gauge in the green / amber or the red zone on that flight and what was the weather conditions , ie dry or raining.
regards alan. 8)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Hi Alan,

I cannot see any colour indication on carb air temp. - no red band, just temp. scale
Weather conditions - no rain, above clouds ( FL150 )
Do you know proper procedure in icy conditions ? - first use deicer or carb air levers ?

Additional questions:
1. i cannot locate any gauge to show carb de-icer quantity ( i assume that de-icer is liquid ), is there any ?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Not in the connie right now so cannot tell you the exact location of deicer contents , but should be on the engineers panel , its easy to miss if not eyeballing closely , i am busy trying to learn how to fly the pmdg dc-6 , and found several problems on it already , altough its good , i still prefer the connie.
If i am in a cold high alt airport in icy conditions , i will put them on while i taxi to runway , usually off during takeoff , but once clean and climbing , i monitor temps and use antice as required during climb to keep engines running correctly.
regards alan. 8)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

So what for those carb. air levers are ?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The carb air levers are used to blend cold and hot air to required temp to stop carbs from getting frozen , either you or the engineer will operate these as required , i have seen in cold conditions , and can confirm that the engineer uses both ant ice and deice as required if you have the engineer doing everthing while you fly.
regards alan. 8)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Thanks Alan, appreciate.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Having a negative Carb Air Temperature is not necessarily a bad thing and the FE won't do anything about it if there's no reason to.

Why to I say that? Because once you get more than a few degrees below freezing, there is insufficient water in the air to be able to cause Carb Icing. The only time that there is enough water in the air is when the air is fully saturated (i.e. you have visible moisture). As such, as long as you didn't climb through or fly in an area of visible moisture, you don't need to have the Carb Air on. Allowing the carb air to cool increases performance since the denser air will allow more fuel to be mixed in and thus you operate more efficiently.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Just as a point of clarification. I believe that the risk of icing when the carb temp is below zero is present when in visible moisture.

At other times when the temp is above zero and even significantly above zero, there is sufficient water vapor in the air for carb icing to be a threat even without visible moisture. Warm air holds more moisture and anytime you start to get a low temp/dew point spread it's time to watch out!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Thanks to both of you

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”