Connie Input Configurator AP 100% Up and Down Problem

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Connie Input Configurator AP 100% Up and Down Problem

Post by sloppysmusic »

Hi,
setting up my pan hat switch on my CH yoke to handle AP duty, save my mouse fingers in flight.
FSUIPC is set to send keys Ctrl-Shift-U/D/L/R (up down left right) to the sim.
The Inputerator is set to listen for those keys for AP UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT.
It all works as planned connection-wise,,
BUT...
AP Left and Right work great. Moving 1 degree at a time I can either have key repeats on or off its personal choice. Probably off so I can tap slow 10 or 20 degree turns in with accuracy.

PROBLEM is Up and down. There is no degree shifting. It's either 100% up or 100% down as soon as keys used. Not even neutral in the center in between. So after using this option in flight only turning the AP rudder lever off ASAP before you go 90 degree to the ground would save the flight.
Lucky I tested this on the ground, there would have been some jail time in career if not!

NOTE: AP up and down in the IC controls the Sperry Elevator dial in the plane.

Can anyone else test this so I know its not just me? AP left and right keys work 1 degree at a time. Up and Down go full 100% up or 100% down.
Thanks! It's obviously unusable like this but surely someone else out there has used the inputerator to set an AP shortkey before? Cos this is unmissable if they had same problem?
thanks y'all in anticipation of a solution!
I'm going to unbind these keys no..one accidental touch of the hat and i'm in the ocean, nose or tail first!

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: Connie Input Configurator AP 100% Up and Down Problem

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hello sloppysmusic,
I just tested this. I assigned Ctrl+Shift+U and Ctrl+Shift+D into the Input Configurator and can verify that it goes directly to 100%. I did not edit FSUIPC or assign to controller, just direct from keyboard. I did not start engines or anything else, just entered sim and assigned the keys through the Input Configurator.

I then assigned buttons in LINDA and found that the elevator control in the Sperry moves 1% per button push and will repeat if set up to do so in LINDA.

I also checked FSX-SE and P3D v4, both with same results.

Good luck Sir
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Thanks for that Flash! Seeing as I'm a retired tech who knows his way around some programming...I guess I need to start using Linda?
I've avoided it so far as it's deja vu using scripts when not working!
I have a question. Are the controls you are assigning thru Linda hardware offsets direct into the sim? As I can set FSUIPC to link to that if so. Do you
know what they would be so I can try? Or do I need Linda?
Thanks again!
BTW....any chance of Betty & Linda getting on well? Any 'history' there I should know about? If I made a pass at Betty for example would Linda make it hell for me?!
:D

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I struggle with coding and find LINDA pretty darn simple for the most part. Assigning multiple commands to a single button is very handy and easy to do.

You can add variables and such. You can edit assignments during a flight and they are applied immediately without interrupting or pausing the flight. I know this sounds like a commercial but I do so like LINDA.

Here are the commands within LINDA to do the elevator up/down.

Code: Select all

function A2A_Sperry_Elev_inc ()
   Sperry_elev = ipc.readLvar("ApElevatorControl")

Sperry_elev = Sperry_elev - 1
   if Sperry_elev < -100 then Sperry_elev = -100 end
   ipc.writeLvar("ApElevatorControl", Sperry_elev)
   DspShow ("Elev", " " .. Sperry_elev*-1)

end

function A2A_Sperry_Elev_dec ()
   Sperry_elev = ipc.readLvar("ApElevatorControl")

Sperry_elev = Sperry_elev + 1
   if Sperry_elev > 100 then Sperry_elev = 100 end
   ipc.writeLvar("ApElevatorControl", Sperry_elev)
   DspShow ("Elev", " " .. Sperry_elev*-1)

end
PS; Betty is there to serve your every need. LINDA is strictly there to do her job :wink: . Although, LINDA can be cantankerous at times when one is not very capable with code. :D

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Flash you rock! OMG you got my nerd brain restarted..I see at once from the code it has built in protection for going over 100% in either direction...
Will research Linda and get it up within a week.
Thanks again Sir!

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

sloppysmusic wrote:Flash you rock! OMG you got my nerd brain restarted..I see at once from the code it has built in protection for going over 100% in either direction...
Will research Linda and get it up within a week.
Thanks again Sir!
I'm curious how you're coming on the LINDA project sloppysmusic. 8) :wink:

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

It's in the queue still...I am working all night every day at the moment to finish a song so only get 1 hour to sim as a break. I plan to read a a manual before I go ahead, always like
to be prepared. Is there a good link to a manual or a site/forum I can read up you could post?
Ps my pilot record is now 'good'. I'm over 10k a year!

Would love to know the offset for the rudder boost as I find turning it OFF in flight gives me perfect full smooth deflection on my saitek pedals. Need it back for landing though.

Thanks for asking...Still flying nothing but this bird...I have every OrbX airfield of suitable length runway to land it at!

Regards
Sloppy (Russ)

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Here is the main page for LINDA at AVSIM.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/424-linda/
You'll find all you need to know there. A couple of things to guide you;

Make sure that any personal commands you write go into the user.lua file for that plane and not into the actions.lua. Scot and Guenseli and others often update the default actions.lua with common controls and it's easy to install them if your personal commands are not in that file.
Make sure to get the latest modules for your planes.
Make sure that you back your files up. You will spend hours tweaking special commands and you'll be disappointed if you loose them somehow. I back all of my important FS files up to DropBox with a batch file.

Here is the command for the rudder and elevator boost levers that Gypsy Baron helped me with. Now there is the man that knows how to set a plane up. Paul is very knowledgeable on commands and he does his through other means but the commands are the same. I do both elevator and rudder with one command with a random pause in between lever movement.

Code: Select all

function L049_Hyd_Boost_Tgl ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:ElevatorBoostLever") == 0 then
    ipc.writeLvar("L:ElevatorBoostLever", 100)
    _sleep(150, 300)
    ipc.writeLvar("L:RudderBoostLever", 100)
            ipc.writeSTR(0x3380, "HYDRAULIC BOOST LEVERS ** ON **")
            ipc.writeSW(0x32FA, 7)
    else ipc.writeLvar("L:ElevatorBoostLever", 0)
    _sleep(150, 300)
    ipc.writeLvar("L:RudderBoostLever", 0)
            ipc.writeSTR(0x3380, "HYDRAULIC BOOST LEVERS **** OFF ****")
            ipc.writeSW(0x32FA, 7)
    end
end
I put the display on the screen so that in the dark you will know if the command was actually successful. In the dark, 5 mile final, wondering, reaching for the light switch to check to see if the levers moved... you see my point :wink: It's like having your co-pilot verify for you.

Good luck
Roger

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Thank you so much! The random pause is just icing on the cake! (guessing its between 100 and 300 ms).
I'm going to read up more today. It's something I've wanted more control over for years, I sim in the dark too and
the mouse is way too fiddly.
Slops

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

:lol: Slops :lol:
Do you have the B-17? I still have FSX-SE installed and fly it when I get the urge to take 'Buck-up Buttercup' for a flight. Anywho, if you do have it I have a command for it that you might just find fun. You'll need LINDA of coarse but let me know if you're interested.

Cheers
Roger

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Roger I don't...yet! If/When I get bored of this maybe....but thanks for the offer! Followed that Linda link today, downloaded the help guide, the dont panic one. I read in bed in the morning and I soaked it up. Will read the 'hardcore' manual next as I want to know what's there before going ahead, which might be as early as tomorrow. I have 40 mins or so left tonight before it's music time so its either a flight down the mountains from AYGA to AYPY OR install Linda...I suddenly want more hardware with buttons..!
Another Saitek quadrant will give me quad-engine control/flaps/cowl flaps/carb heat....

planes I have are
RealAir (most of them)
A2A Comanche/Cherokee/T6/Mustang and Connie
PMDG all except DC-6

Cheers
Slops

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Roger,
moving forward with the install. Linda installed and aircraft modules dl and copied over. Set to start with FSX, which it did. Gonna do more tomorrow as I see option to choose aircraft or sync with sim..
except it says sim NOT running when it is and the sync button is greyed out. All the aircraft i see in my drop down menu all HID options greyed out bottom too.
Sure I missed something so will read manual again tomorrow.
Cheers Slops...almost there!

EDIT...I think those greyed out HID icons are part of the interface! Not meant to be clickable.. The joystick button shows my CH yoke not the Saitek, so something IS working.
Way to early for me to mess with it yet but looks exciting!

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hey Slops,
I'm sure you'll figure it out. Here's a few of things to verify.... The install instructions are pretty straight forward.

1) Install to < Modules > folder maintaining file/folder structure as in .zip
2) On right side of GUI you'll see Summary. Below Summary go through the Setup for Joysticks, MCP Combo and LINDA
---2a) On Setup Joystick options you should see multiple controllers. I only have one so cannot verify what it looks like with more. Verify them and save that page. I find that with my X52 Pro I have to have the Saitek Control Panel running in order for all my buttons to function within LINDA. I just start the CPL and run it in the background during the flight. While on Joysticks page with an aircraft selected look at bottom of GUI and choose your HID to edit it's controls.
---2b) On Setup MCP Combo options un-check the Enabled box if you do not use this.
---2c) On Setup LINDA options check the box for developer mode so you can use LINDA Tracer and Developer mode when you're ready for that.
3) Get the latest modules package from LINDA downloads for your aircraft and install as per instructions. (They are not all under one thread so you'll have to go searching through LINDA Downloads).
4) By now you should be syncing to your sim. In P3D v4 mine will only sync Default aircraft while in Scenario editor. Once spawned in it will sync to actual aircraft. If it does not recognize sim by now there is something wrong.
5) Always set up your FSX default (stock) aircraft first, just like axis in FSUIPC. I try to use the same buttons/switches for lights, trim, flaps, etc in all aircraft. LINDA will use these default settings for ALL aircraft unless that button is commanded to another control for that particular aircraft. Makes it much easier. So think about your commands and what you want to be persistent throughout your hanger. They can be changed per aircraft but it saves setting them up for each and every one. I also determine which controls I want in a Shifted state and which ones are better Un-Shifted. For instance, engine start commands are under a shifted state while minute by minute flight controls are un-shifted.

That's a quick-n-dirty entry level guide and I'm sure I forgot some things. Hope it helps just the same. From what you say it sounds like you're most of the way there. If you have any problems at all please post a thread under the LINDA support forums at AVSIM. Scot and Guenseli are very very helpful and patient with customers. I very much appreciate their forward thinking and efforts to keep their software current. PS, if you find the program helpful be sure to drop them some $$. I know Guenseli watches threads at A2A and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn on these suggestions. :wink:

~S~ and good luck
Roger

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Thanks Roger for all that info. Work/music wise I am in a very thought-busy mode right now so when I get to sim my brain says "push throttles forward already!"
I'm being careful as I have set FSUIPC up perfectly after many years tinkering so I'm looking to tweak 1 button at a time. I'm sure I will get it working soon thanks
for your patience and encouragement!
Cheers!
Slops

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

:D :D :D :D :D

Yay. Took an hour so of fiddling back and forth, letting LINDA setup the non-existent MCP so it would connect to FSUIPC, remembering to setup ONE button for a default aircraft in FSX, and a bunch of restarts and reloads of sim and LINDA....but...before I go away and actually FLY now I have to report to you, Roger Sir, I have the thing working.

I presses the red button and the precious is mine...well the rudder boost lever toggles. TO confirm I knew what I was doing I edited the file you posted above so it ONLY changed the rudder boost,
as that's the only one I need to change for my axis. It worked fine, lever goes up, lever goes down, lever goes up..etc etc..

Thanks for your fine support Roger you really are a spiffing good chap for helping me get this solved AND finally pushing me to using LINDA.

Cheers!
Mr Slops
PS found a newer version of FSUIPC so needed that too

The edited function if someone else only wants move the rudder boost

function L049_Rudder_Boost_Tgl ()
if ipc.readLvar("L:RudderBoostLever") == 0 then
ipc.writeLvar("L:RudderBoostLever", 100)
else ipc.writeLvar("L:RudderBoostLever", 0)
end
end

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”