Invisible Spoiler

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
AviatorMoser
Airman

Invisible Spoiler

Post by AviatorMoser »

I was doing a flight over Iceland today, and I was wondering why my airspeed was 20 knots slower than what the manual suggested for the prescribed power settings and gross weight.

On descent, I also noticed my KIAS was also slower than usual, and then I saw that my spoiler axis on my throttle was about 33% engaged. So I started moving the axis up and down, and sure enough, the airspeed and vertical speed began to corresponding change.

So it seems to me that the Connie responds to the spoiler axis set in the FSX controls, yet it doesn't have a physical spoiler. Is this a bug or limitation of the FSX engine?

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Invisible Spoiler

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I'll take an educated guess that the spoiler has been coded to add and remove drag as necessary to simulate the airframe drag from things like cowl flaps, etc. I can't even imagine all the things this may be tied into considering how complex Accusim is. That being said, it's quite possible that your axis interfered with whatever Accusim was calling for, and thus overrode any spoiler settings in the simulation. You may want to turn off that axis via FSUIPC while flying this bird, or reducing the sensitivity so spikes aren't registered.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Don't tell anybody, but I've noticed a significant drop in speed during a descent after I press the / key. I believe that is the default speed brake key. The A2A Connie has speed brakes somewhere... maybe like those little dive flaps on the P-38L.

Seeya
ATB

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Indeed, the Spoiler function is used to provide proper drag simulation of different items on the airframe and is controlled by the underlying tech. However, if you have an axis assigned to it, it will override these functions. As FS doesn't directly support drag for things like cowl flaps, the spoiler is used as it can be controlled with very high fidelity within the sim and thus allows a work-around for the lack of proper airflow modelling in FSX.

As a general rule, you should always ensure the only axis you have assigned when flying a given airplane are the ones you're using for that airplane to avoid causing conflicts with any underlying tech that may be present. There are several aircraft out there which use gauges to simulate the auto-mixture or fuel trimming (for turbines) via the mixture axis. As such, having the mixture axis assigned or where it is held at 100% can cause these gauges to not operate properly and will cause issues with engines, just as use of FSX "Automixture" causes A2A products to have serious ignition problems. :)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”