GTN 750

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
pod265
Airman

GTN 750

Post by pod265 »

I have purchased the Flight1 GTN 750 and I have it operating as a 2d pop-up for the Connie.

But I can't get the sperry autopilot to follow the flight plan in the GTN.

Just want to check I am following correct procedure. I have the GTN set to provide the navigation date as opposed to the FSX GPS. I have GPS set on the GTN. I have the GPS/NAV button on the FSX 400 set to GPS. I have all 3 levers of the Sperry in the down position and the autopilot switched on.

But the Connie will not follow the GTN Flight plan.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Using Tapatalk

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: GTN 750

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The sperry is just a hdg/alt hold autopilot , it will not follow a gps , what you need to use is the 2d pop up basic autopilot .
Personally i prefer the old style sperry autopilot , and map style of nav over the gps/autopilot style of flying , i recommend you learn the old ways , far more work involved , but more satisfying type of flying.
regards alan. 8)

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

pod265 wrote:I have purchased the Flight1 GTN 750 and I have it operating as a 2d pop-up for the Connie.

But I can't get the sperry autopilot to follow the flight plan in the GTN.

Just want to check I am following correct procedure. I have the GTN set to provide the navigation date as opposed to the FSX GPS. I have GPS set on the GTN. I have the GPS/NAV button on the FSX 400 set to GPS. I have all 3 levers of the Sperry in the down position and the autopilot switched on.

But the Connie will not follow the GTN Flight plan.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Bill,

The Flight1 GTN750 works perfectly with the Sperry. The Connie/Sperry fly the Flight Plan GTN source automatically directed by the GTN750 provided that the GTN autopilot option (in the GTN Config program>>>GTN750 UNIT 1) is set to "NAV" not "Heading Hold".

If you want fly only with the Sperry without that the GTN commands it, make just a right click on the left of the GTN to switch on Fsx Flight Plan source.

Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

pod265
Airman

Post by pod265 »

I have followed your advice but the Sperry still will not follow the GTN 750, it just follows the Autopilot rudder control.

One question. What tells the Sperry to follow the GTN GPS? I assume that I choose the GPS 400 option on the A2A panel and then use the NAV/GPS on the 400 to choose GPS?

Other than setting the GTN to set the NAV data as opposed to the FSX GPS, and setting the GTN to GPS in pink, don't know what else I should be doing.

Thanks

Bill.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

pod265
Airman

Post by pod265 »

I should mention that I have the GTN 750 installed in the Piper Cherokee VC and it is working fine.

Thanks.

Using Tapatalk

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
When i first got the connie , i tried the gps with the sperry using the nav/gps sw , it did not work , but it did work if i used the 2d popup autopilot .
The sperry should just be a heading/alt hold basic autopilot , that needs constant corrections during flight.
regards alan. 8)

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

pod265 wrote:I have followed your advice but the Sperry still will not follow the GTN 750, it just follows the Autopilot rudder control.

One question. What tells the Sperry to follow the GTN GPS? I assume that I choose the GPS 400 option on the A2A panel and then use the NAV/GPS on the 400 to choose GPS?

Other than setting the GTN to set the NAV data as opposed to the FSX GPS, and setting the GTN to GPS in pink, don't know what else I should be doing.

Thanks

Bill.

Sorry, my bad... The GTN autopilot option (in the GTN Config program>>>GTN750 UNIT 1) must be set to "Heading Hold" not "Nav".
I just made a flight there is 5', it works perfectly with the Sperry !

To add, you have not need of the GPS400. It's up to you to use it or not (I don't use).

This is how I proceed :
1/Set your GTN like described above ("Heading Hold")
2/Fill your flight plan like usual.
3/After take off put the GTN on "Gps". Important the source must be the GTN, not FSX.
4/Sperry auto pilot ON...That's it !

It's curious because I was sure that I had to put the Gtn in the Gtn Config program on "NAV". I had already posted a message in this direction in March.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 33&t=58799

I wonder if it was not changed with the last update in April (if I have the time I'll reinstall the original Connie before the update).

Anyway it works now 8) . Tell me if it's ok for you also.

For info the Gtn can "pilot" also the T6 but this time I'm sure that the Gtn must be in "NAV" :mrgreen:

Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

pod265
Airman

Post by pod265 »

Thanks. I changed the configuration to Heading Holding in the GTN Configuration and now it all works fine.

Thanks for taking the trouble to solve my problem.

Regards.

Bill

Using Tapatalk

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

pod265 wrote:Thanks. I changed the configuration to Heading Holding in the GTN Configuration and now it all works fine.

Thanks for taking the trouble to solve my problem.

Regards.

Bill

You're welcome. Glad to have helped you. I would add if you did not already know, that to resume controlling the plane in automatic pilot (change course heading), just right click on the blue button at the top left of the GTN (GTN source>>>source simu>>>you have control). Similarly if you want the GTN to pilot the aircraft again, you right click on that same blue button (source simu>>>GTN source>>>GTN have control).
Regards,
Richard Portier

pod265
Airman

Post by pod265 »

Noted. Thanks:)

Using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”