odd behaviour from engineer

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

odd behaviour from engineer

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i was doing leg one of a recreation of the kangaroo route the connie flew in 1947 for qantas , from YSSY to YPDN , on my decent with engines set 20/20 at 300fpm from 20000ft to 10000ft , i looked back , and noticed a very odd behaviour from the engineer , he was moving number 1 engine fuel tank cut off lever back and two every two to three seconds , if he had been moving more than one lever in the normal way , i could understand is behaviour , for part of is fuel balancing , but this was very odd .
Has anyone else noticed this wierd behaviour.
regards alan. 8)

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: odd behaviour from engineer

Post by AviationAtWar »

I've had that happen before too and I think I caught it on video. He was going back and forth at 1-2 second intervals for quite a while.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Without knowing what the level of each fuel tank was it is impossible to evaluate that behavior. Also, the states of the X-feeds and fuel pumps.

Paul

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Paul.
This was no ordinary fuel transfer , it was definatly odd behaviour , thats the reason i reported this , as i have never noticed this type of behaviour before , and the hours i have on the connie , i definatly recognise normal fuel transfer when i see it , and had this been normal , i would not have bothered with this report .
regards alan. 8)

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Alan.
I am not doubting your observation.

I was just pointing out that without additional information relating to the configuration at the time, a diagnosis of the issue is impossible, unless of course, it is repeatable.

There is a LOT of code related to the VFE functions and it is not an easy task to isolate an area for inspection when an anomaly is reported.

-=GB=-

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

I'm seeing the same thing on occasion since the latest Connie-specific update. When I hand over everything to the FE, he will sometimes pull the mixture on the number three engine to the cutoff position. I have to watch him closely and shove it back to auto-rich before the engine quits. Seems to be random for whatever reason.

I'm thinking about rigging a shock collar (available at finer Petsmarts) around his neck and zapping him a good one when he does it the next time. "Okay captain, we're all set" ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Okay captain, I will not tttttttttttouch the number threeeeeeeeeeeeee engine mixture". Worth a shot?

malexdu
Airman

Post by malexdu »

Yes I have had the FE cut No 3 engine on two occasions in the last 20 odd flights, once in cruise and once in descent. Two different locations - both with tanks circa half full and cross feed off. I too keep an eye on him. I do the start up, take off, climb and set for cruise manually and once in cruise hand over to the FE. On both occasions he cut No 3 after about 5 to 10 minutes. Just finished a 2 hour hop with fuel on light and no problems. FE well behaved!
Simhanger
Win 11 / i9-14900K / 32mb RAM / MSFS

malexdu
Airman

Post by malexdu »

Following up on my post above I have done a a few more flights. If I start with the FE in control and let him manage the engines on the flight then no problems. If I hand over control on the climb or cruise, this is when he is most likely to cut No 3 engine. He cuts off the fuel and brings the mixture (red) control to cut off. This happens fairly soon after handing over to him. (Usually within 5 to 10 minutes). Fuel load has been variable (light and Medium), flights 1.5 hours and 2.75 hours, as has the location. After the first few times I had all engines serviced and showing... Excellent...in case there was a problem I hadn't picked up on, but no change.

When the FE cuts the No 3 engine (always No 3), I take back control, get No 3 engine running and after that I hand back over to the FE, he manages all engines as he should for the rest of the flight. Hope this helps.
Simhanger
Win 11 / i9-14900K / 32mb RAM / MSFS

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”