Performance

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Performance

Post by Artur »

Maybe it is just me, but after update i have seen that Connie became "heavier" for my system.
Before update Connie was butter smooth, now i have a lot of stutters which make simulation lot worse than it was.
I have tried disk defragmentation, but no help.
Now even the heaviest PMDG birds are way more smooth than Connie...
I am using P3D.

Edit: have just finished my flight - simply horrible stutters. After flight have switched to another plane to see if the culprit is my P3D - no stutters, so problem must be on Connie side.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Performance

Post by CAPFlyer »

We've gotten a couple of reports of stutters post-update in P3D, but haven't been able to yet nail down what's causing it. If you can provide more information on what you're seeing, when you're seeing it, and maybe the VAS/RAM usage numbers when it starts, that would help Scott in determining what's going on.

DaveR
Airman Basic

Post by DaveR »

I am experiencing similar stutters, but I am using FSX.

I would describe them more as pauses, nothing gets updated during the short pause. The pause can last a few tenths of a second up to maybe a second or so. No video updates happen during the pause. What I see after the pause is all the engine gauges come out of the pause at full power, then settle back to the intended setpoint determined by throttle position, almost a reset of some kind.
I uninstalled the L049, then reinstalled the initial release, and it appears that the pauses are not part of the initial release. Am install of the updated brought back the pauses.

It seems pretty random, sometimes it will go 10 minutes between, sometime I'll see several in a minute. I does not matter what view I'm in.

The only thing I noticed and I might be imagining this, but during a fresh cold and dark start up, the pauses occurred almost right away after a "ticking" in the cockpit.

I did some investigation, so I started backing out addons (TrackIR, ASN). I still run FSUIPC and EZDOC. I changed video and audio setting with no effect. Even with no weather, bare FSX with no downloaded, the pauses are there.

thanks for great support.

Dave

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

CAPflyer, what kind of info would be useful for you to nail performance issues ?
Just tell me and i will try to help.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Artur.
The sort of things that would help A2A , is your processor type and speed/operating system/video card/fsx or p3d which ever you use/slider settings/addon scenery/trackir5 or opus , so they can see what might be causes of stutters , to see if its system or aircraft related , that is what i would say capflyer ment.
as an example.
i use FSX with FSUIPC and track ir5 and ASN for weather.
win7 home premium with service pack1 op system
intel i7-4770k cpu 3.50ghz
ram 16gb
64bit operating system
nvidia geforce gtx770 video card
system rating 5.9
FSX+acceleration
orbx global base and vector
a few freeware scenerys
Most sliders at or near max steady 30 frames per min
I get great performance from the connie , no noticable stutters even in heavy seattle area , but frame rate drops from 30 to15 fpm variable , but aircraft still very flyable without problems.
regards alan. 8)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

All right then.

My system is:
P3D 3.3.5
ORBX Global + Vector
No payware airport used, only default ones.
ASN for weather ( 1 cloud layer only )
My P3D settings :
MSAA - 4 samples
Texture filtering x4
FXAA - off
Target frame rate - 40
no mipmap
detail radius - high
tesellation - medium
mesh - 19m
texture - 60cm
scenery complexity - normal
autogen vegetation - sparse
autogen building - sparse
water detail - medium ( no reflections )
special effects - low
shadows - off
cloud draw distance - 70nm
cloud coverage - high
AI traffic restricted by FSUIPC to 15 planes + ships 20% + boats 20%

My computer is not a top performance machine but still can handle with above given graphic settings
i7 3.8 + 6Gb of RAM 1600 + NVIDIA 760 2 Gb RAM + Win7/64

I use Process Lasso and Flight Sim Commander during my P3D session.
As anti-virus i use Microsoft Security Essentials.

FPS seems to be not an issue.

With other A2A planes everything is butter smooth ( B17, Texan, Commanche )

I hope that helps.

DaveR
Airman Basic

Post by DaveR »

Not sure if we are seeing the same issue, but here are my specs: (don't laugh at my rig, I know it's old....) :D

I set my video settings to get around 15 - 25 FPS. I did a lot of messing around with video and audio settings and did not find anything that made a difference in the stutters.

As I said before, the most notable thing is that after the pause/stutter, the engine gauges spike at high power then settle again. The A2A T6 is smooth, no noticable problems.

System:
AMD X4 965 uP 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Premium 64bit, SP1
Running FSX + accel
Weather: AS Next
VAS: appears to be around 2.3MB

Video: AMD Radeon HD5700 1GB RAM

Use FTX Global
A number of freeware sceneries and ORBX KEGE
TrackIR 5
EZCA v. 1.15.0
FSUIPC

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Dave

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I've just read this thread and thought I'd give my report on the stutters.

System Specs are in my signature.

FSX-boxed - a few add-on sceneries
FSX-SE - no add-on sceneries
Both above - FSUIPC, LINDA, TrackIR, Nvidia Inspector settings to reduce shimmers and jaggies, A2A aircraft and stock only.
[General tab] 36 fps, 2560x1440, Anisotropic, Anti-aliasing, DX 10 preview off, lens flare off, light bloom off,
[Aircraft tab] All checked accept Aircraft shadows on self is off
[Scenery tab] All sliders max, Land detail textures on, Ground scenery shadows off.
[Weather tab] Cloud draw distance max, no thermal, Detailed clouds with max slider, download winds aloft on
[Traffic tab] Airline 30, GA 30, vehicle minimum

[fsx.cfg BOXED] texture max load=4096 and various other tweaks.
[fsx-se.cfg STEAM] all stock

I have FPS set to 36 and both run that pretty solid except for some cloud formations. Anyways, I get the stutters/pause during cruise. I have not really noticed it during the climb or descent so much and maybe that is because I don't have time to sit and watch gauges.

The stutter/pause is very short, fraction of a second, but the gauges do go into a spike and bouncing until they settle out back to normal. This too only takes a fraction of a second to settle out. There seems to be a cycle to this but the repetitive timing has not yet been determined. I hope this can help with the investigation.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Same as Dave wrote - I also have noticed those engine gauges spikes which happens during stutter

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Okay, I'll play, too- but I can't guarantee the relevance. The 377 COTS does something very similar. I would describe it as a slight "skip" during which all the MP and RPM gauges jump quickly, and in unison to a higher pressure, then drop back down to normal. It happens several times during long flights, but has no consequence that I can see on engine life or successful conclusion of the flight.

DaveR
Airman Basic

Post by DaveR »

I did a little more research the other night on my stutters. I found the stutters/pauses occur during a high amount of disk activity. I believe FSX is responsible for this. On my old rig, the disk access very pronounced, faster computers or those with SSD drives may not see it as much. With that said, the March update is significantly worse in this regard. It is not noticeable at all with the original Connie release.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Hog Driver
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Hog Driver »

I noticed this as well and was able to actually time it out for when it would happen. What I found out was the my FSUIPC would give me a major freeze then run fine when it was storing the position under automatic save, just a thought for ya'll to try.
Hog Driver

Alienware area51
Dual GeforceGTX 970
i7 3.30ghz
Windows 10 64 bit

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I use FSX+ACCELERATION , and suffered very long lockup/freezes , after i had installed the PMDG B777 , looking up the problem on avsim forums , i found that for my PC quad core multi threading with 8 virtual cores , i had the wrong affinitymask set in my FSX.CFG file , as PMDG recommended 14 , since putting the affinitymask at 14 , the max freeze i get is in mili seconds , and you hardly notice them .
I believe if you use P3D , you should not need this tweek , but those on the latest version of P3D seem to suffer freezes more than those not on latest version , from what i have read.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”