Out of memory errors

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
garner
Airman Basic

Out of memory errors

Post by garner »

I've never had an out of memory error in P3D before but since getting the Constellation a few days ago I've had it fail a couple of times (out of maybe 6 flights).

First time it just froze when I left it on AFK mode, the other time the gauges disappeared and an out of memory warning box appeared (clicking it quit P3D). Both times were after more than two hours, no add-on airports in sight.

I haven't seen this before, even on much longer flights. The other aircraft I use are simpler single-engine ones, including A2A's C172. Is the Constellation a particular resource hog or have I just been unlucky?

After the first time I kept saving the scenario every so often, but going back to a saved state doesn't really work - on reloading autopilot and engineer were switched off, cabin temperature was freezing. Any tips for avoiding this? (It's only this aircraft, which is by far the nicest one I've got but not so good if I can't be sure it will let me finish the flight.)

rahoward144
Airman

Re: Out of memory errors

Post by rahoward144 »

Sounds like you have a couple of different issues. Concerning saving/resuming flights, check out this thread: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 34&t=58870

The out of memory errors may be related to the level of detail you have set in P3D while flying the Connie. I had mine maxed out and didn't get 10 minutes out of JFK when I had the same problem. The answer (for me) was to turn down some of the detail settings when flying in dense areas. I finally settled on a nice balance of eye-candy and performance and haven't had to change them between flights.

I'm thinking about trying out one of the launchers I've read about. Apparently you can set it up so that when you pick a certain plane it will adjust your settings automatically, but I don't know much about those.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I had a similar OOM problem on my first flights in the Connie. The hardware is a near bleeding edge Jetline 'puter. Software is P3D, AS16+ASCA, ORBX global, vector, and scenery overlays for most places I regularly fly over. I'd get the OOM about 1 to 1.5 hour into a flight. First I tried turning down the scenery sliders in P3D to minimal, if any, effect. Finally, I read somewhere that turning off the "Enhanced Turbulence" feature would help. I turned off the Enhanced Turbulence and did a long flight with no OOM. Now I have all my sliders just about maxed out and everything is OK.

Hope something like that works for you.

Seeya
ATB

garner
Airman Basic

Post by garner »

Thanks for the information, that's really helpful. I'm using a patchwork of Orbx bits and pieces (my second OOM was approaching Las Vegas, which I think is in an Orbx region) plus I have AS16 which is feeding turbulence information to the EZdok camera, so my P3D is under a fair amount of stress.

I blame it on the stewardess - none of my other aircraft have one of those.

rahoward144
Airman

Post by rahoward144 »

Paughco wrote:I had a similar OOM problem on my first flights in the Connie. The hardware is a near bleeding edge Jetline 'puter. Software is P3D, AS16+ASCA, ORBX global, vector, and scenery overlays for most places I regularly fly over. I'd get the OOM about 1 to 1.5 hour into a flight. First I tried turning down the scenery sliders in P3D to minimal, if any, effect. Finally, I read somewhere that turning off the "Enhanced Turbulence" feature would help. I turned off the Enhanced Turbulence and did a long flight with no OOM. Now I have all my sliders just about maxed out and everything is OK.

Hope something like that works for you.

Seeya
ATB
My addons are very similar to yours, except that I didn't have Enhanced Turbulence enabled.

Were you able to increase your scenery settings after discovering the turbulence issue? BTW, I've stopped using EzDok and have switched fully to ChasePlane, but my OOM errors occurred before that change.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”